PRS SE Custom 24 Pickup Upgrade

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by PogWalusiak, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Larryboybaldwin

Larryboybaldwin New Member

Thanks all! I’m new to this diy pup stuff -

I was thinking I would simply replicate what is happening with the stock pups wire for wire.
    Is it not that easy?

maybe I should watch some diy videos o_O

2. NBW

NBW New Member

If I recall correctly the pickups in PRSes have different polarities, so it isn’t quite that simple. But it’s doable and not particularly difficult.

3. Boogie

Boogie Zombie Two, DFZ

You can always start with that, but if they’re out of phase, swap the leads on one of the pickups. It’s that simple. :cool:

4. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 New Member

Change your pots and caps and then decide if you need new pups.

5. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

@NBW Im sure you do, but when replacing pickups, take a photo (or several) on your phone of the control cavity for reference.

Apologies if it’s “teaching Grandma to suck eggs” advice.

bodia likes this.
  6. NBW

NBW New Member

No worries. I do take photos. Of course the wire colors change and while I have the color key for the BKs, I didn’t have it for the 85/15s. So first I wired it the same way, which gave bad results then I switched the wires, which seems to give reasonable (but lower) output with both pickups engaged. However, it’s not quite as much output as either pickup solo. That might be ok, since the pickups are in different locations one could expect some cancellation giving lower output. They may be out of phase.

7. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

Yeah, as I typed my reply I was thinking that this was the most likely scenario. Those pesky pickup makers and their different coloured wiring configurations!

Sometimes out of phase works.

Best of luck.

8. PogWalusiak

PogWalusiak New Member

I have recently received my guitar in a trade, and it came with a Seymour Duncan Distortion pickup in the bridge which i'm not keen on, so looking for pickups that will provide clarity and good sustain. The type of music I play varies from Americana country rock to Blues and R&B.

9. NBW

NBW New Member

Yeah those are some "very metal" pickups. I'm a very vintage PAF guy. I have a set of Bare Knuckles Stormy Mondays, which everyone here is tired of hearing me rave about. They cost a fortune. I think a set of Tonerider alnico II classics might be worth an experiment. I might pickup (ha!) a pair myself and try them in the hollowbody II as the bridge is not quite to my liking.

10. Boogie

Boogie Zombie Two, DFZ

Duncan Antiquity humbuckers are a wonderful old style vintage PAF. Personally, I like them better in thicker body guitars, but they sound great in a Cu24, too.

11. Eddie kim

Eddie kim New Member

How about some pearly gates? This should fit the sounds your going after.