PRS SE 245 vs. Gibson Studio Less Paul

Do you think in terms of quality the SE 245 would be equal to the Studio Les Paul ?

This is just my opinion, but I would buy the SE hands down. They have the vibe of the LP style guitar, but the PRS quality control is soooooo much better. Also, Gibson has been monkeying with so much junk on their guitars lately - maple necks, baked maple fingerboards, weight relief - while the SE is really a lot closer to the traditional LP recipe.

Check out a Bernie or an Akesson SE, they're to die for, and the same price as the 245!

Les Pauls are really hit & miss in quality. If you can find a good one, especially a slightly older one, it'll be a great guitar, but I don't feel it's got the playability of the PRSi.

PRS, including the SEs, are MUCH better in that regard (QC).

I think the LP will give you a slightly more "vintage" tone, the PRS slightly more modern. A more like-for-like comparison would be a current 'stock-no-options' SC245 or an older 'Stripped' 58. However, that will probably cost more... but the 57/08s and the two-piece bridge will put you far more in LP territory, if not "exactly."

One particular SE245 that I noodled on a little bit in a GC one day was the only SE I ever seriously considered buying. (This coming from a guy who doesn't own a single guitar worth any less than $2000.00.)

You mentioned SG just now.
I would put any of my SEs up against my 2012 Gibson SG '61 Reissue.
The Gibson plays nice, buy my PRS all play better.

fwiw, I've got a 2011 Gibson LP Studio that really fills my LP needs, and always make me happy when I play it.
I had an Akesson for awhile and I've test driven a number of SE245's and even an SE Tremonti just a few weeks ago. Seems like I'm often looking for a PRS LP replacement/substitute.
While the SE's are fabulous guitars, none of these gave me that LP vibe or voice. Different animals, as it were.
I haven't had opportunity to try any Core single cuts or an S2 yet, so I can't speak of those.
Just my 2 pennies...

I'd say the SE's are at least on a par with the LP studios in my limited experience. When I got my Bernie back in 2012 I compared them to some Studios and other makes and models. The studios where nice but there where flaws. Minor, but annoying given the price. The Epis where a major disappointment whereas the gibbons ranged from very good to average. The Bernie wasn't 100% perfect ( poorly cut nut) but it was considerably cheaper and worth more than I paid. The Studios where priced about right.. At least the ones with better QC. So about equal when you look at the overall picture but the SE is significantly cheaper.

PRS seem to be constantly improving the QC too without making a song or dance about it or making unjustifiable price hikes. Looked at another Bernie today and there was NO lean in the bridge where the bridge sits on the studs. Mine has always had a little lean which I've tried to remove with locking studs. The 2014 Bernie I saw had no lean whatsoever so it seems the tolerance is better these days.

Regards wanting a traditional LP vibe from an SE you can certainly get there with the 245 or Bernie by swapping out your pups -although the SE 245 pups sound quite nice. The Bernie's neck is based on Bernie's 59LP... Throw in the binding and some vintage PAF a like pups and you've got some serious vintage vibe going on!

Do you think in terms of quality the SE 245 would be equal to the Studio Les Paul ?
Great question! I have an SE 245 and, not a Studio, but a Les Paul standard. Cosmetically, I like the Gibson better, sound wise, neither beats my USA PRS. But they're close to each other. I think if I was starting over, I'd go to the Studio, but it's close.

I have a SE 245 and I also own a 2011 LP traditional. I contemplated buying a studio before I splurged on the higher end trad. To me the studios felt cheap and in my mind not a "real" LP which I've always wanted. When I got my 245 I wanted something that fit a LP style and had a little bit of weight to it. Again I tried to like the LP studio but the quality to me just wasn't there. I find the SEs to be well build and sturdy guitars. I own 2 SEs and love them. I don't think you can find better quality and sound for the money honestly. The LP studios and gibsons in general lately have had some quality control issues. Even my $2k traditional has issues that were beyond cosmetic and I had to exchange it. The second one was perfect but I've heard plenty of similar stories with gibsons of all price ranges. It's not often you hear of anyone returning an SE for quality issues.

Also some may say the epiphones are built better than any studio. There may be some truth to that.

I'd highly consider buying another SE before a studio.....and with all the new gadgets and changes to the les Paul's, I'm not sure if spring for another new model gibson. I'd search for a 2013/14 clearance or a used model before anything in the 2015 lineup.

My eyes are on tremonti SE customs but may spring for a core model to get it in stop tail.

I'm that guy who is going to say play some and see for yourself.

The guitars sound different. It's not only about how well the paint is applied. You're the only one who can judge which fits your needs.

There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to picking out an instrument that satisfies your needs.

Unfortunately you can't buy a new (2011) LP Studio Faded like mine new anymore. It has a polished solid maple plain top cap, mahogany neck, and rosewood fretboard. I quite like the Burstbucker Pro covered pickups in it. They sound really great with my Vox AC15c1 - right into the edge of breakup, no pedals. To my ear it is a really nice guitar and nice sounding, feeling, playing, etc.

Playing my new SE Tremonti Custom black/grey into the same amp, at the same exact settings, is a noticeably different sound, but also quite beautiful sounding.

This is obviously not the same comparison that you are making, because the Tremonti Custom has a maple wide/thin neck, etc., and is different from the 245 even though they have the same pickups. With the same pickups as my Santana SE, the Tremonti Custom sounds very different from the Santana.

Comparing an SE 245, I would say that the SE would be a great guitar. Never the less, if you could find a Gibson LP Studio similar to mine, it would also be a great guitar.

I agree that it is a shame that Gibson started substituting all sorts of design changes and different woods into the LP Studios, etc. Baked maple is evidently okay; I had a Gibson Tribute goldtop LP with it and didn't mind it - but the guitar had such major design problems and QC problems that I had to send it back. I bought a Fender MIM Telecaster Custom with the neck Wide Range humbucker in three tone sunburst and I really dig this guitar, plus it cost a lot less than the Gibson and had zero problems. I dig the WRHB's but I know some don't. Even though I think it is kind of an excuse when people explain things they can't explain as "personal preference", the only way I can explain why I dig the WRHB's is because of personal preference and I respect the opinion of those that don't like them. I think it is going to be the same kind of thing when comparing an SE 245 with an LP Studio. Personal preference. The equation can easily balance out when all the factors are taken into consideration - to your ear. Maybe so, maybe not.

I really dig my PRS SE guitars, but I'm not mono-minded about PRS guitars. I play a lot of different guitars and take things into consideration, then buy the one's I want - it could be one of a few different brands, for me, depending on where I'm trying to get to.

The 245 SE could be great, but I wouldn't discard the idea that there are not some really nice LP Studios out there just waiting to be grabbed. I'd say, just play them, check them out, and buy what you want. I am not a Gibson Corporate fan, but I dig some of the guitars. PRS is a way more ethical and player oriented corporation in my opinion; and personally, I would rather give PRS my money. At the same time there is no substitute for my very nice Gibsons, including my SG Standard (full pickguard, 490/498's, 2012'ish).

I guess I'm not indoctrinated enough, yet.

Last edited:
I guess I'm not indoctrinated enough, yet.

I wouldn't say that. I have found that PRS guys are more open about other brands than most fanboys. I read and hear from Gibson fanboys that they would never own a PRS, and most times a PRS fanboy has a Gibson or Fender in the stable. In the end it's a tool (as PRSh likes to say). You find one that does the job for you and you use it. I happen to find that the PRS fills the need for me better than other brands, but I do have a Strat for the quack and a LP for the growl. The PRS plays better than either of them, but I keep them for that other voice. If I'm playing for enjoyment the PRS is first.

Since your question is about quality let me say that when I went to buy my guitar I had no experance with guitars at all.I looked at a half dozen Epi Les Pauls and about the same number of Gibson studios. Because those were the names I knew. I found flaws in everyone I looked at so I picked out the one I felt had the best quality and felt the best to me. Just before I payed for it the counter guy asked me if I had looked at the PRS se245. I was very sceptical haveing never heard of PRS but I took a look.He had 2 there and I could not find a flaw on either one. I picked the one that felt and sounded the best to me. Sound and feel are subjective and differant for everyone but quality wise I found the PRS won hands down.

I found that by putting a Schaller adjustable bridge on my 245, and upping the string gauge to 10-52 D'Addario XL's it became much closer to a Lester in tone. The other mods have me where I want it soundwise. I had a Les Paul Custom for 20 years. The large bruise on my hip after a 3 set night, and arthritis in my back convinced me it needed a new home. The 245 has an excellent neck, one of the best I've ever played. And it's about half the weight. I also put in regular SE singlecut humbuckers. They're lower output and have a less shrill sound to my ears. Mike is right about changing the pickups if you don't like the sound.

Last edited:
My view: PRS absolutely owns the market for electric guitars in the $500 - $800 range. The entire SE line is the best value for the money in that part of the market.

I owned a Gibson LP Studio back in 2002 and it was a lovely guitar to play. I recently purchased a SE Akesson and after replacing the electrics, fitting SD pickups and a bone nut I can honestly say it is a far superior guitar to my old LP. As standard the Akesson was a lovely guitar but the factory fit nut was terrible and the pickups were not to my taste.

Back