Anyone own an SE Hollowbody II and a Gibson ES339?

tdroid

Just curious what you feel the differences in, especially in terms of quality (and I realize the 339 is a semi-hollow). Does the Gibson feel like a more premium instrument?

From my understanding, they share similar construction methods.

I don't have the SE HB but I do have two core HB PRS and a 339 as well as a 335. I think the SE is built similar to the core HB. Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this. The PRS HB guitars are true hollow bodies. They only have wood under the bridge to connect the front and back and give a solid place to mount the bridge. The Gibson 335 and 339 have a maple center block. They are quite different guitars. To me, the 335 and 339 are quality built guitars. It would probably be a more fair comparison to compare the Epiphone models to the SE PRS HB. Very different guitars though.

I don't have the SE HB but I do have two core HB PRS and a 339 as well as a 335. I think the SE is built similar to the core HB. Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this. The PRS HB guitars are true hollow bodies. They only have wood under the bridge to connect the front and back and give a solid place to mount the bridge. The Gibson 335 and 339 have a maple center block. They are quite different guitars. To me, the 335 and 339 are quality built guitars. It would probably be a more fair comparison to compare the Epiphone models to the SE PRS HB. Very different guitars though.
You are correct. It's a true hollowbody with a block for the bridge.

I have a Custom Shop 339 ( Alnico II 's ) and an Artist HB II , while they can cover similar sonic territory they have a much different vibe when your playing them . For me the 339 is old school blues all the way , and it can tear it up with gain but more limited . The HB II's are amazing but don't have that same vibe , much more versatile , and inspiring .

The core is made with carved solid blocks of wood while the SE is 5-ply laminate. However, the Gibsons are 3-ply laminate. Epiphone is a solid brand, but doesn't have the fretwork or quality control of the SEs (though I believe they use CTS pots, whereas SEs do not).

Back