PRS Pedal Cables - Review

László

Too Many Notes
A couple of evenings ago I decided to rearrange the way I set up my pedal board. I do this every few years, and it usually involves some fiddling with the George L's cables I made about ten years ago, changing the lengths, etc.

This time, for some reason, not one of my George L's would pass signal after I modified them. I think the connectors somehow became compromised after too many connections and re-connections, as I've had no problems with them in the past. In any event, it was time to replace them.

So I figured, "Why not try the PRS pedalboard cables?" I ordered some. They came this morning, and as it happens, I had the day to myself. I'm waiting for video to be finished on a new project and can't postscore without picture, so had planned this as a "studio fix-up" day. I immediately got to work on the pedalboard.

Background:

I've been using the same pedals in my chain for several years, with the George L's. I'm very familiar with the sound I was getting.

I was using the George L's because they're bright sounding cables, and my former Two-Rocks seemed to prefer brighter signals. Also, I could make them up to keep my pedals where I needed them on the pedalboard, and with some cables, it's a struggle.

Before that I'd been using Canare cables, and before that, Monster. Prior to that I can't remember what I was using, but I was probably too tired from the daily Dinosaur Roundup to get to the guitar much...

The Cables:

You notice two things when you take the PRS cables out of the boxes: First, the connectors are very well-made and the plugs are nicely plated. Second, the cable itself is very, very flexible. More so than any high quality cable I've ever used.

The flexibility comes in handy when connecting the pedals together at different angles, etc. You're not fighting the cables in order to put the pedals where you want them. These cables are your servants, not the other way around!

Once I had everything connected up, I plugged my 408-equipped guitar in because it seems to have the widest frequency response and would make a good test. I flipped the standby off the HX/DA, and strummed a chord.

When the chord rang out, I literally said, "Whoa!" out loud! I'm serious. The high frequency content was still there, but the mids and lows had more amplitude and there was greater clarity.

The effect wasn't subtle. I'm sure that anyone would have agreed as to the improvement. In fact, I found I had to back off the gain on my amp just a touch, because there was simply more oomph.

I'm still using Mogami cables to and from the pedal board. I'm going to try the PRS cables for these purposes as well, and am just waiting for my December Thank -You package to arrive (ahem) at which point I'll get another PRS guitar cable and do another comparison test.

Anyway, I'd have felt I got good value simply because these things are so flexible, but they are definitely passing a more balanced sounding signal than anything I've used in the past. Good stuff!

Thanks for the review. You just made a few sales for PRS. I'm already using PRS instrument and speaker cables. Been wanting to try the pedalboard cables.

That is good news.
I have Mogami on my pedal board, and I was using two Mogamis for in/out.
Still have the exit cable going to the amp, but I am using the orange PRS cable for the guitar to the board now.

I also have another PRS cable with the silent jack on one end.
Both PRS cables came with my two Thank You packages.

I may have to order the pedal board ones now from your review.

Pics of the board?

Haven't done that yet.

But I have nothing fancy. Fulltone Clyde Deluxe >> Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe >> Fulltone '69 Mk II >> Boss TU-3 >> Road Rage True Bypass Looper >> HX/DA. On a black plywood board covered with formica, with maple edging. Very simple.

The looper allows me to bypass or insert a TC Nova Delay in the chain (as well as other stuff that I don't have on the board right now) so that I can keep the signal all-analog when I want to (the Nova Delay runs everything through its AD/DA converters even when it's off).

Power supply is a Voodoo Labs ISO-5.

I happen to like the buffer that's built into the TU-3, so I have it in the primary signal chain. I've tried it both ways, in the signal chain and bypassed, with both sets of cables, and it's actually a nice-sounding buffer, a definite improvement over the TU-2. I prefer it to my old Axess Buffer that tended to make things just a little brighter.

I've found over the years that because I sometimes use long cable runs, from the control room into a recording booth, I get a better sounding result with a buffer somewhere in the chain. I'd like to try the new Fulltone buffer at some point, in which case I'll run the TU-3 into one of the bypass loops, but right now I'm satisfied.

That is good news.
I have Mogami on my pedal board, and I was using two Mogamis for in/out.
Still have the exit cable going to the amp, but I am using the orange PRS cable for the guitar to the board now.

I also have another PRS cable with the silent jack on one end.
Both PRS cables came with my two Thank You packages.

I may have to order the pedal board ones now from your review.

I can't compare the PRS to the Mogami, since I don't have Mogami to connect between the pedals. It could be that the Mogami are as good, I have no idea. Might want to wait for a comparison test on that front.

My pedals were connected with the George L's, which is apples/oranges different from Mogami, as you probably know.

Last edited:
I have a box I haven't opened yet and I'm using George L's too! Haha!!! I think I'm gonna swap out this weekend...

578559_10151182520007412_190326730_n.jpg
522214_10151227629172412_1670521126_n.jpg

I love the patch cables. Sound perfect. I'll be buying two more at this year's Experience to finish off the board.

This what we're talking about, right? I've been using the crap from the dollar bin forever for my pedals. Maybe I should upgrade.

http://www.prsaccessories.com/collections/cables/products/prs-patch-cable-box-of-2

prs_cable_patch_web_lg_large.jpg

Yup. This is what we're talking about.

My own feeling about cables is that they can be like tone controls, and sometimes what you already have is exactly what you want to hear, regardless of price. Then again, sometimes not. So deciding to change them may or may not be a good idea if you're happy with where you are.

I'd never tell anyone to change out their cables. But I'm pretty happy I changed out mine!

I see they're made here by Van Damme. Good company so no doubt they're high quality leads.

I do need some new cables in various lengths for my board but i'll probably source some Van Damme cable and Neutrik connectors and make my own custom length ones.

To be honest, with the small patch cables I've found no noticeable difference tone wise. Certainly those multi-coloured cheapos you can get are pretty useless. Using Planet Waves at the mo and though I heard no difference between them and the cheaper ones they have lasted. The longer length of cable I use the more i'm willing to pay for good quality and to minimise signal degradation.

To be honest, with the small patch cables I've found no noticeable difference tone wise. Certainly those multi-coloured cheapos you can get are pretty useless. Using Planet Waves at the mo and though I heard no difference between them and the cheaper ones they have lasted. The longer length of cable I use the more i'm willing to pay for good quality and to minimise signal degradation.

Depends on what you use. Changing between the George L's and the PRS made a noticeable difference, as I said in my original post.

Well, these cables are a nice little tone upgrade. Turns out the buffer on the TU-3 isn't needed as much with the PRS cables as with the George L's, so I was able to put the TU-3 into the loop box as well, so I can switch it in and out of the signal path. Switching it out gives a slightly different sound, a little less crisp around the edges, and that can be a good option when I use the TC delay, that tends toward a little too much digital brightness/etching.

I'm going to order a few more packs for myself in case I add more pedals; it's always good to have spares. And I'll have some sent to my son as well.

My only request is that PRS offer some 12 inch lengths. I see there's a checkbox on the box for the 12s, but I don't see them on the PRS site or anywhere else yet. Maybe that's in the works for down the road?

It's be nice for my board, because the 6s are too short to reach from my switchbox to one of my pedals. So I have to use another brand for the one pedal because I can't move it closer and still have it function the way I want.

In a perfect world, it seems like it'd be best to use the same cable for the entire signal chain, including those attached to the loop switcher.

I realize that I can use a barrel connector and double the cable lengths that way, but it'd be a very clunky and inelegant solution.

Last edited:
6" does sound to short.
My Mogamis are 10" or12", I forget.
I had my local dealer make up two of the George ones in 16", as a few of my pedals required the extra length.

I'll second that about the PRS patch cables...they really do a great job, and are easy to work with. Defenitely clean, crisp tones. Not sure if its due to the flexability but they are a breeze to set up on my pedal train board, and with the added flexability, I don't need to run them below the cross rails. I have a grab-all bag of patches and each time I get a pair of the PRSi, I get rid of the two weakest links...until total PRS domination...almost there.

Les, out of curiosity, what made you move away from canare cable? I switched my pedalboard from monster to canare quite a few years back and it was like a blanket was taken off my amp. I've always had some George L's in my rack(not the solderless connectors though) although that is almost all canare now as well. I made equal everything 20' canare and mogami cables and had a hard time hearing any difference really. I've been real happy with the canare gs-6. I may pick a PRS cable just to compare. With the amount a cabling between my pedalboard and rack, it's not really feasible to make a cable change to often.

Les, out of curiosity, what made you move away from canare cable?

I only had George L's on my pedalboard recently, not Canare, but you mean a while back?

I had Canare GS-6 on a board 12 years ago, and it's great cable! The only reason I switched to George L's from Canare at the time was that I changed pedalboards and my pedalboard was very complex with two patch bays. It required everything to be custom lengths. So when I had to re-cable everything after the board was built, I realized it would be faster and simpler for me to use the George Ls.

It was strictly a matter of convenience, not sound quality.

I don't have that board any more, as my needs are simpler now, so when the George L's finally needed to be replaced, I wanted to try out the PRS cables. They are more flexible physically than the Canare. I haven't compared them for tone, however.

I still have some Canare GS-6 guitar cables. I might have to bring them out and have a go!

6" does sound to short.
My Mogamis are 10" or12", I forget.
I had my local dealer make up two of the George ones in 16", as a few of my pedals required the extra length.

Funny thing, I needed some longer cables today to wire something to my bypass box, so I bought some 10" Mogami.

They are exactly the same length tip-to-tip as the 6" PRS.

PRS must measure the length of cable between the connectors, and Mogami the tip-to-tip length. So there ya go.

I'm having Lava wire me a couple in 12" lengths, which is ideal for this project. I'll use the Mogamis to connect some other stuff to the bypass box, too. All of the cables in my main signal chain are PRS, however, and will stay that way.

Last edited:
Back