PRS Cables. . .

JC_Broussard

Blues Interpreter
Any of you guys use the PRS cables? I have a mix of Monster, Boss, Roland, Pig Hog. They are all great, and I'm sure any quality cable is a quality cable. Just wondering if anyone has used the PRS ones and if they are high quality as I'd expect.

Any of you guys use the PRS cables? I have a mix of Monster, Boss, Roland, Pig Hog. They are all great, and I'm sure any quality cable is a quality cable. Just wondering if anyone has used the PRS ones and if they are high quality as I'd expect.
I use them, and yes, they are high quality. They're actually made by VanDamme Cabling, in England. Definitely worth the price.

The higher end PRS cables are indeed made by VanDamme in England, and they're among the lowest-capacitance cables you can buy. This matters because the higher the capacitance, the more high frequency loss that's experienced over a cable run.

To give you an idea, the VanDamme is 26 picofarads per foot. Mogami, a very fine studio grade cable, is 48 pF per foot. A lower number is better.

This means you can run 20-25 feet of PRS cable and not hear high frequency loss, where you'll hear after 10-15 feet with Mogami. Monster is a higher capacitance cable as well, but I don't have the numbers on that.

They're also light weight, don't tangle, and lay flat on the floor. Abbey Road studios was re-wired entirely with VanDamme a few years ago. It's very, very good cable.

There's only one guitar cable with lower capacitance, Sommer of Germany's highest-end cable (16pF), but it's much stiffer and much more expensive. I only use the Sommer I have for super-critical clean recording, for everything else the PRS VanDamme cable is top notch.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm convinced I'll make the purchase. I mean, if I can't trust a bunch of PRS heads to say PRS is good, then who can I trust?

Right? What did you expect for an answer? :D Truthfully, I'm generally a skeptic when it comes to "branded" accessories but these (along with Martin acoustic guitar strings) are notable exceptions.

I know I'm a little nuts, but in my studio I run a fair amount of distance with my cables: 18 feet from guitar to a buffer on my pedalboard, 20 feet from pedalboard to amp switcher, and 10-25 feet from the amp switcher to the amps. So the high frequency loss can add up.

When I spec'd my cabling, I looked up all the capacitance specs to minimize high frequency signal loss, and was happy to learn that the PRS/VanDamme stuff spec'd best for my needs.

Fortunately my switcher also has a high quality buffer to minimize signal loss, so I don't really hear any degradation in all that cabling.

You'll also be happy to learn that the PRS cable rejects noise, including handling noise, better than other stuff I've used.

I don't have any of the PRS guitar cables but I do have a few of the speaker cables and use them between my amp heads and cabinets. I like the ones I have. I have never felt the need to buy the guitar cables for some reason. I should pick a couple of them up some day.

I’m quite fond of my 25’ Straight / Angle cable.:)
One thing that hasn’t been mentioned yet - it seems to resist tangling up on itself due to it being extra flexible.
I think I did mention that, but maybe I didn't? Yes, it's a really cool thing, I completely agree with you!

The trade-off in cable shield design, as I understand it, is the type of shielding. Some of the more flexible cables compromise on this, and most of the cables with good shielding are more difficult to work with; but the Van Damme cables are (in my experience) both flexible and as good at noise rejection as any cable on the market.

Not only do I love the PRS Van Damme cables, when I order custom lengths from vendors I order the same cable. Paul Smith knows his stuff.

The speaker cables are pretty flexible too.
+1.

And they're also pretty light weight for what they are, which means I can run them to my amp/cab switcher without needing a strain relief due to the weight of the cables.

Yes, it's a small thing. But it's a good thing! :)

I do and they are great.

Back