PRS neck shims - how and where to buy?

RocknPop

I want to setup my silver sky with a floating trem, but need the shims. Ideally these would ship with the guitar, but they don’t. How do I buy the two 0.007in shims needed?

I thought neck shims were for re-angling the neck, not just raising it. What are the directions you are seeing?

stewmac.com has some, but they are specified as angles instead of thickness.

Hi, the ones referenced by the PTC:

I certainly don’t want to guess what stewmac options work. I’m looking specifically for what PRS makes us believe is broadly available and follow their instructions to the T. :) plus, stewmac is ridiculously expensive, $18 ($8 shim + $10 shipping) for a shim???? Lol... come on...

From the video I am guessing they are just cut out from paper of the correct thickness. Paper comes in a range of 'weights', contact the PTC and see if they can give you some guidance.

I used homemade paper shims on Strats and Ibanez bolt ons in the past with great success and no difference in the tone department IMHO and all that....

I haven’t been able to call PRS. In the meantime, what do you guys use to get to the exact measurements recommended (2 x 0.007in)?

I used a Stew Mac Shim for the first one , it is not the correct shape for the PRS neck pocket so its a bit of work and really easy to break but it works.
For the others I have done I used a plastic conference badge, cut and sanded to shape and thickness/angle I wanted. I like to fill the entire neck pocket when I shim a guitar.
You can just loosen the trim springs and it will float a bit if you don't want to shim.
These shims from Amazon look similar to what PRS is using in the video https://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Guita...words=Guitar+neck+shims&qid=1611243697&sr=8-9

Thank you, @Rider1260 - very helpful.

This is no dig at all on PRS, I love them and believe they make the best guitars in the world, and their customer service is superb. The only comment is they do make it seem so simple to float the SS bridge but it requires quite a bit of work depending on your comfort level with tools and guitar work. :)

I used a Stew Mac Shim for the first one , it is not the correct shape for the PRS neck pocket so its a bit of work and really easy to break but it works.
For the others I have done I used a plastic conference badge, cut and sanded to shape and thickness/angle I wanted. I like to fill the entire neck pocket when I shim a guitar.
You can just loosen the trim springs and it will float a bit if you don't want to shim.
These shims from Amazon look similar to what PRS is using in the video https://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Guita...words=Guitar+neck+shims&qid=1611243697&sr=8-9
I used these shims: https://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Canad...0.5+1+degree+0.25+0.5+1+degree+,mi,170&sr=1-1

I had to cut and fit the shims to the neck pocket (I trimmed off part of the thicker, bridge-facing end). Using the 0.25 shim made the guitar play great - the action is now much better.

Back