Silver Sky Setup/Tremelo

bpstrad

I recently purchased a used Silver Sky Core off reverb. Had some minor condition issues, but it looks like it has been setup to float the tremelo, and thus has the saddles much lower than where they should probably be. I don't use trem much, so I would actually like to deck this and raise the saddles. To do this, do I just need to tighten the trem screws, or do I need to tighten the claw screws in the back, or boths?

loosen the trem springs until the back of the bridge touches the body is all you need to to
I believe you want to loosen the strings, then tighten the trem claw spring screws in the back until the trem is resting on the body then tune the guitar back up to pitch. Do not do anything with the 6 screws on the front.

You may have to do this a couple of times until the strings and springs are balanced enough to let the trem rest on the body.

Hope my suggestion is ok, Rider.

Congrats on your SS!!

This but in reverse -

id like to do this, make it floating. More to it than I thought. I was thinking you would remove one spring to have it be 3 like a standard strat (I think). Where do you get the shims, fromPRS I would assume?

Mine is the SE model but I would assume the procedure is the same. Thinking about getting a Seymour Duncan Lil JB or maybe a Lil Screamin Demon in the bridge and/or middle position. I like the neck pickup as is a lot.

In the video above, it shows a couple of shims needed to complete the job. I checked PRS site, Sweetwater, don't see them. Are they are PRS Specific shim? They seem to be, but I'm not sure where to get them. I'll try a better google search, maybe they are not made by PRS, so Philadelphia luthier might have them? Just watched the video again, they're paper shims, huh. I might ask my local luthier if he has something like this, probably have him do the whole job for me, including the bridge pickup.

In the video above, it shows a couple of shims needed to complete the job. I checked PRS site, Sweetwater, don't see them. Are they are PRS Specific shim? They seem to be, but I'm not sure where to get them. I'll try a better google search, maybe they are not made by PRS, so Philadelphia luthier might have them? Just watched the video again, they're paper shims, huh. I might ask my local luthier if he has something like this, probably have him do the whole job for me, including the bridge pickup.

Reach out to Customer Service and ask them for advice. They should be able to help you find out what you need to look for. John Mann might be a good source as well.

Actually I went over to my locally owned shop and ask my friend who does all of their work on guitars about shims, and he has them, very thin wood, not paper. I think they come from StewMac. Anyways, I'm going to have him do it for me, and wire in a new SD Little '59 in the bridge, just enough to give it a little extra juice, but not too out of whack with the other two pickups that I'm leaving stock.

Back