PRS Monthly Jam - December

Nice Rider!

So what do we have to do to get others to join in lol. Doesn’t seem to be a popular thing around here...
Sorry, Christmas got in the way this month, just had too much going on to find free evenings where I had the energy. I might do a late entry early in the new year

Fell free to edit the length if your happy with 1 min then lets hear the 1 min, I agree that some of these tracks are long and I use that as a way to try out new riffs and ideas, I have a hard time doing the " Play like hell here " thing the longer tracks give me a chance to get in the groove, My hope is over time folks will comment and say things about tone technique, etc pick out spots that work and ones that don't.
I don't edit my tracks yet because I feel like I need to hear the clams and all to get better.

And please don’t misunderstand me. I’m not saying you can’t or shouldn’t do it that way. I agree with what you said. If I’m “practicing” a 5 minute BT would be great for trying different ideas, working on building as you go, etc. But what I was saying was, as a “here is my take” type thing, and especially in light of some of the more recent threads here, I think many would be intimidated by being expected to solo for 5 minutes. Now, the newer you are, the better having a 5 minute track is, to work on ideas, etc. But when you say “put a solo over this” something much shorter would be more easy to digest. And lets face it, even a minute long solo is LONG for any normal song.

One thing you said is clearly different from the old format we did this in though, and I think that’s why we have the different perspectives. You said you didn’t want to edit so you could hear your good spots, ones that didn’t work, etc. And, if you want to post that for critique, that’s certainly fine. In the other forum, it was more of a “you just gave me this song to put a guitar solo on, and here is my solo” type thing. Some guys would even do two different ones, or more. But they were usually what they felt was their legitimate edited/mastered attempt at adding a finished solo, not just a recording of someone jamming over a track.

Then after everyone had submitted their “take” most times they would be patched together. So if there was a minute long BT and 15 guys submitted a solo, they’d all be chained and posted as one 15 minute long song, with the guys names in order so you know who was soloing at what times during the song.

In that scenario, some guys said things like “I looped the track and just solo’d until I felt I had a good one and then saved and submitted that part.” You’re talking more about submitting the whole jam, flubs and all. So like sometimes when I create a little chord pattern with my Ditto looper and then jam over it, I might try different ideas, might even go back to a riff I just missed and try it again, or go back to add something that just hits me afterwards, might even stop for a second, or even flub a solo then stop and stretch my fingers some more then try it again, etc... in your scenario you’d send that whole thing recorded, vs. working out a solo, playing it until you get it right and submitting that only. Both would have their place, and each guy could decide which he wanted to do.

Edit: I hadn’t read any of this thread. I got here by a link from another thread. I thought I was in a thread “discussing” the monthly jam. I didn’t realize I was IN the monthly jam thread. My apologies for talking about 5 minute tracks in general, then reading back and seeing I was in the actual thread with the BT posted. :(

Hey whatever gets folks to join in I'm all for :) you make some great points, I just don't want this to die out

Edit: I hadn’t read any of this thread. I got here by a link from another thread. I thought I was in a thread “discussing” the monthly jam. I didn’t realize I was IN the monthly jam thread. My apologies for talking about 5 minute tracks in general, then reading back and seeing I was in the actual thread with the BT posted. :(

Yes like rider said these are yours to do anything you want with. Shorten them build throughout add vocals it’s all what you want to make out of it.

Most of the backing tracks out there are longer so you can work out ideas and try things out.

It doesn’t matter what you do with it just would be cool to get more involved and like rider said start some dialogue about each other’s contributions.

Back