PRS gold top paint change. When was that?

Lheadri2

I really like the old gold tops PRS did in the 90’s and somewhere up into the 2000’s. It was a lighter dull gold. Now the current ones like my semi hollow singlecut (I think it’s a 2015) has a mustardy gold. Anyone know the specifics of when this occurred ? Look at the fender Aztec gold strat to the lower right. It’s more of what I prefer and more similar to the old PRS gold color. Do you all agree? The reason I ask is, is I want to know what era to look for to make sure . Thanks

Last edited:
not warming up to that "Mean Mr. Mustard" version of Goldtop. Glad I got my '06 McCarty Goldtop when I did. Since I'm a guitar player I'll totally cop to having a tiny bit of that "it's better how they did it back when" thing. I got bit by the PRS Goldtop bug when I saw David Grissom and Storyville when he was playing his Goldtop 22 fret trem guitar before his sig. was a thing.
nzd9qbL.jpg

not warming up to that "Mean Mr. Mustard" version of Goldtop. Glad I got my '06 McCarty Goldtop when I did. Since I'm a guitar player I'll totally cop to having a tiny bit of that "it's better how they did it back when" thing. I got bit by the PRS Goldtop bug when I saw David Grissom and Storyville when he was playing his Goldtop 22 fret trem guitar before his sig. was a thing.
nzd9qbL.jpg
Exactly, yours is the pretty gold. Why change something that was perfect the way it was! I have a light pink Dave Grissom - bought it for my daughter when she was 3yo to be her first nice guitar when she’s big enough to play and appreciate it. She’s 5 now and It hangs on her bedroom wall and i let her get it down when she asks to play it . I don’t let her carry it around the house but I don’t mind if she dings it up a little . It’s something I want her to use and beat up eventually. I submitted a low ball offer on reverb and got it for like 2k off . It was new old stock and the finish had some weird yellowing that only shows up in pictures. It just happens to be one of the best feeling guitars I own , out of about 25 guitars. So I play “her” guitar a lot! I got a great deal on it so it’s all good. A lot of people say there’s nothing wrong with a pink guitar, i just have a hard time taking it to a gig

OK I hopped in the Wayback Machine and went down the rabbit hole and it looks like ~2015 was the year of the switch.

All the way up to 2014, the general color charts show "Gold Top" as the lighter, unique shade:

Jump to 2015 and the color chart shows the more mustardy version:

But I guess I was wrong on the naming of the DGT finish. They still just called it "Gold Top" despite being an obviously different color. Maybe "DGT Gold Top" was an informal term.

2008 SC245:

2008 DGT:

OK I hopped in the Wayback Machine and went down the rabbit hole and it looks like ~2015 was the year of the switch.

All the way up to 2014, the general color charts show "Gold Top" as the lighter, unique shade:

Jump to 2015 and the color chart shows the more mustardy version:

But I guess I was wrong on the naming of the DGT finish. They still just called it "Gold Top" despite being an obviously different color. Maybe "DGT Gold Top" was an informal term.

2008 SC245:

2008 DGT:
Good work! Thanks for the info!

Good work! Thanks for the info!
That actually helped a lot bc the hollow body gold top I was looking at purchasing is a 2011, and some photos looked like the old gold and some like the new .
See how these photos- some look like the old gold and some look like the new? I think it’s the camera playing tricks and it’s indeed the old gold which makes me happy. ThAnks for your help .

I had an old EG 3 that was finished in what I called Urine Gold.

I much prefer Old Gold (Bullion Gold, whatever)

I don't know if it has to do with the color on their older guitars fading and certain changes were made to reduce this from occurring.

nzd9qbL.jpg
I have a 2012 P22 Goldtop and it’s the above color… I understand it’s very hard to duplicate. Gibson had a hell of a time getting it right. Took them years to get the right shade ‘57 Goldtop

Back