PRS Fret Wire

I love my PRS and would not proactively change anything. My poor technique leads to a gorilla grip and thus pretty quick fret wear with the stock PRS fret wire (see pictures below). The stock wire may not be for everyone and I understand the stated preferences for SS frets. In a perfect world, stainless steel frets would reduce the damage (if not eliminate it) I am causing. Who knows I may get another 10+ yrs with this level of wear before having to refret.

52525136825_1dacacfaf8_z.jpg

52524658481_b86afbccec_z.jpg

That’s pretty minor and can be dressed out easily. It will make the guitar feel and play better and probably extend the playable life of the existing frets. $175 in my shop for this repair which is basically a deep setup that includes a LCP.

All I know is that the only core PRS I bought NEW needed a fret levelling BAD after only 6 years. None of my other USED guitars needed that. That was an 02 custom, wire might be different now IDK.

That’s pretty minor and can be dressed out easily. It will make the guitar feel and play better and probably extend the playable life of the existing frets. $175 in my shop for this repair which is basically a deep setup that includes a LCP.
I've never seen frets scratched like that. Not to that degree.

How would you repair that?

Would you level the entire fingerboard until the deep scratches across the frets are gone and the frets are flat on top?

Then crown them round on top again and polish them?

I've never seen frets scratched like that. Not to that degree.

How would you repair that?

Would you level the entire fingerboard until the deep scratches across the frets are gone and the frets are flat on top?

Then crown them round on top again and polish them?
Yes, but not the board, just the tops of the frets, then crown and polish. Unless I am not seeing something they don't look very deep. I see that when people use stainless steel strings or are just bad about laying the guitar down on it's face. Or it could be file marks left behind from someone who is not very good at fret work.

Back