PRS Fret Wire

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bill1988, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Bill1988

Bill1988 New Member

Hey guys,

I wanted to ask what all of your experience has been with the frets on your PRS guitars. I was just in my local dealer yesterday and I just love how the PRS guitars look and sound. One CE in particular had me thinking this is the perfect guitar for me except... I would love to buy one but I'm hesitant to go through with it knowing they don't come with stainless steel frets. I have owned a Kiesel for a year now and I love the feel/sound of the SS frets and the thought of never having to worry about refretting.

I've heard Paul mention in a video that PRS uses the hardest nickel fret wire available, but even still the thought of having to refret in the future after spending 2k+ on a guitar has me a little concerned. Thanks in advance.

2. rpoce24

rpoce24 New Member

From what I understand, Paul does not like the sound of stainless frets and that is why PRS does not use them. Even steel frets used heavily will eventually need to be changed. The PRS fret will have a somewhat shorter life then steel, and many people have refretted their PRS’ with steel, but for normal use these frets will last a long time. The PRS fret does seem to be more durable than what comes standard on Fender and Gibson.

dogrocketp likes this.
  3. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

I had a 2001 Singlecut that I bought in 2006 or 2007 that I had to have refretted. The guy that did it said whomever owned it before must have been ham fisted. They were seriously dented in spots. Fortunately, that's the only PRS that I have had to have that done on. I've owned more than 50 over the years, and haven't seen issues on any of them. Meaning, I bought a lot of them used, and they came to me in good shape. My oldest, currently, is a 1991, and it is fine. So is the '97 Santana I. Make the jump!

dogrocketp and Geo408 like this.
  4. RickP

RickP Established 1960, Still Not Dead

No issues here with frets. Gigged them for years with no appreciable wear to the frets. If you’re worried about fret wear, it sounds like you’re a “buy it and keep it forever” kind of guy. So, as you mentioned, they’re not stainless. If the concern is severe, buy it and refret it right away. A great guitar that lasts a lifetime maintenance free is a bargain at under $3K all in.

5. Bill1988

Bill1988 New Member

Thanks for the info guys. This is reassuring. My main concern about having to get a refret job in the future is I wouldn't trust anyone remotely near me to do it, though I suppose you could just send it in to the PRS techs themselves to have it done? As far as the tone: hmm...I don't buy that. I wonder if it's more that SS frets are harder to work with, rougher on tools, and more expensive than the tone thing. I have both and can't notice a tone difference. Maybe the SS are the slightest bit brighter and more snappy but playing hard rock/metal I tend to prefer this anyway.

6. bodia

From the man himself.

Craig Bennett, Geo408, Roy and 4 others like this.
  7. Steve Dombroski

Steve Dombroski New Member

Not that it helps the original poster, but most of my PRSi get refretted right away with Jumbos if they don't already have them.

8. Bill1988

Bill1988 New Member

cool, thanks bodia

bodia likes this.
  9. bodia

You are welcome

10. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

In my mind, if you like the CE that much, the question becomes “do I like this guitar well enough to buy it and have it refretted with stainless steel frets”? And if that answer is yes, my advice is buy the guitar and don’t refret it right away - give the PRS frets a fair trial. You may like them well enough to not do the refret, at least not immediately. But it sounds like stainless steel is your thing, so I’d think you have to go into that deal ready to make that change.

Personally, I’ve never had an issue w/the PRS frets. Maybe I don’t spend enough time on any one guitar, but I definitely have my favorites, and I haven’t noticed any fretwear on any of them.

bodia likes this.