PRS Fret Wire

Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt, I was sincere in trying to help. So, yes, seriously. It isn’t unusual for someone to buy a new guitar, then put $500-600 worth of pickups or other mods in because that‘s what they prefer or require. Planning a refret because you like everything but the frets is no different.

I think the stainless fret thing has become such a bone of contention that, while other mods of equal cost are considered normal, this “fixing what PRS refuses to fix” mod is unthinkable to those who feel it should be available OEM. Really, it’s just another part. That was my point. New or not, if I don‘t like a part on a guitar I otherwise love, I change it. If I like and use the guitar, it’ll pay for itself.
Yes, this entirely different!

One of the things he was concerned about was fret wear. On a brand new guitar there is no fret wear, and realistically there won’t be any, so quit putting stupid ideas in people’s heads, yeah?

I gave you the benefit of doubt, and you then backed up your original stupid idea with a ridiculous justification for it. Jeez...

Yes, this entirely different!

One of the things he was concerned about was fret wear. On a brand new guitar there is no fret wear, and realistically there won’t be any, so quit putting stupid ideas in people’s heads, yeah?

I gave you the benefit of doubt, and you then backed up your original stupid idea with a ridiculous justification for it. Jeez...
Odd way of looking at things, as though pickups on a new guitar have wear.

So, I gave you the benefit of the doubt by responding to your typically inflammatory, closed minded attitude with a respectful explanation of my reasoning. You’re not required to agree or accept, but an intelligent person could see the point. I’ve no time for your bull****. Blocked.

Last edited:
Uh... did someone forget to take their anti-grumpy pills? :)

What Rick did was not just encourage buying a brand new guitar and immediately re-retting it. He simply acknowledged that some people DO IT, and saying if that's what it takes to make the guitar what you want, DO IT. I think it's nuts, but that doesn't mean anything at all. If someone loves everything about a new PRS but simply WILL NOT be happy with it unless it has Dunlap 6100s and no others, or pick your favorite fret size and material, then by golly they can get it re-fretted. I could not even consider the possibility of re-fretting a guitar that had no fret wear UNLESS I was completely unhappy with the current fret SIZE. If it has tiny thin frets, I might go at it even if they're new, but otherwise, I'd wear them first, THEN re-fret with whatever I prefer.

But, even here, we've seen guys say "I take them straight to my guy to get re-fretted as soon as I buy them." So whether you, Rick or I agree with that, think it's a good idea, think they're psycho, or anything else, doesn't matter at all. All that matters is that the owner gets what he wants. But don't give Rick crap for basically acknowledging that some people do buy brand new guitars and take them straight to the luthier for a re-fret, or for saying that's OK. That's not putting ideas in anyone's head.

After these posts from a few days ago, there was another guy at TGP that told a story about a PRS he played last week in a store, fell in love with it, best playing and feeling guitar I've ever felt... blah blah blah. But didn't buy it and ranted about no stainless frets. Used the words "ripoff" "arrogant" and all kinds of other things about PRS not using them at this price range "inexcusable" etc.

So, he either walks away, a bitter old man, from the best guitar he's ever played, or he buys it and re-frets it and lives happily ever after. Or if he's really smart, he buys it and plays it for 10 years and the only thing he has to get mad about is that there's still no fret ware so no real excuse to spend all that money on stainless frets. So far, he's chosen the first option. And that's just stupid! (I might have to go tell him so. :p )

Last edited by a moderator:
After these posts from a few days ago, there was another guy at TGP that told a story about a PRS he played last week in a store, fell in love with it, bes playing and feeling guitar I've ever felt... blah blah blah. But didn't buy it and ranted about no stainless frets. Used the words "ripoff" "arrogant" and all kinds of other things about PRS not using them at this price range "inexcusable" etc.

So, he either walks away, a bitter old man, from the best guitar he's ever played, or he buys it and re-frets it and lives happily ever after. Or if he's really smart, he buys it and plays it for 10 years and the only thing he has to get mad about is that there's still no fret ware so no real excuse to spend all that money on stainless frets. So far, he's chosen the first option. And that's just stupid! (I might have to go tell him so. :p )

This is the kind of attitude that I just don't get. This guy has a preference for stainless steel frets? Great - not everyone does. Some people don't care, some people may even have an aversion to them. So who's right? It's not like PRSG isn't moving guitars - remember, we were all told that no one would buy the Silver Sky because no one was going to buy a Strat-type guitar w/o stainless frets. That prediction didn't age well.

And if you like stainless frets, more power to you. I'd no sooner tell you that your preference is nuts than I would accept the idea that my lack of preference for them is wrong. We like what we like. Doesn't make anyone right or wrong. Just makes us different.

This is the kind of attitude that I just don't get. This guy has a preference for stainless steel frets? Great - not everyone does. Some people don't care, some people may even have an aversion to them. So who's right? It's not like PRSG isn't moving guitars - remember, we were all told that no one would buy the Silver Sky because no one was going to buy a Strat-type guitar w/o stainless frets. That prediction didn't age well.

And if you like stainless frets, more power to you. I'd no sooner tell you that your preference is nuts than I would accept the idea that my lack of preference for them is wrong. We like what we like. Doesn't make anyone right or wrong. Just makes us different.
If only THE WORLD would understand and adopt this attitude...

But I will say... the only thing keeping my brandy new DGT from being dead-balls perfect is... stainless steel frets. :) And yes, it would have been nice at this price point, but I'm not complaining. The guitar is a lifer regardless (it instantly became my #2, and will likely remain so the rest of my days), and maybe someday I'll decide to have it refretted...whether it needs it or not... because that's how much of an improvement SS frets are for me. It's like skating on freshly-zambonied ice.

You’re not required to agree or accept, but an intelligent person could see the point.
Accidentally irony?
Uh... did someone forget to take their anti-grumpy pills? :)

What Rick did was not just encourage buying a brand new guitar and immediately re-retting it. He simply acknowledged that some people DO IT, and saying if that's what it takes to make the guitar what you want, DO IT. I think it's nuts, but that doesn't mean anything at all. If someone loves everything about a new PRS but simply WILL NOT be happy with it unless it has Dunlap 6100s and no others, or pick your favorite fret size and material, then by golly they can get it re-fretted. I could not even consider the possibility of re-fretting a guitar that had no fret wear UNLESS I was completely unhappy with the current fret SIZE. If it has tiny thin frets, I might go at it even if they're new, but otherwise, I'd wear them first, THEN re-fret with whatever I prefer.

But, even here, we've seen guys say "I take them straight to my guy to get re-fretted as soon as I buy them." So whether you, Rick or I agree with that, think it's a good idea, think they're psycho, or anything else, doesn't matter at all. All that matters is that the owner gets what he wants. But don't give Rick crap for basically acknowledging that some people do buy brand new guitars and take them straight to the luthier for a re-fret, or for saying that's OK. That's not putting ideas in anyone's head.

After these posts from a few days ago, there was another guy at TGP that told a story about a PRS he played last week in a store, fell in love with it, bes playing and feeling guitar I've ever felt... blah blah blah. But didn't buy it and ranted about no stainless frets. Used the words "ripoff" "arrogant" and all kinds of other things about PRS not using them at this price range "inexcusable" etc.

So, he either walks away, a bitter old man, from the best guitar he's ever played, or he buys it and re-frets it and lives happily ever after. Or if he's really smart, he buys it and plays it for 10 years and the only thing he has to get mad about is that there's still no fret ware so no real excuse to spend all that money on stainless frets. So far, he's chosen the first option. And that's just stupid!
What about the option where he immediately refrets the best guitar he’s ever played due to some poor advice off a manufacturers own forum and because of that difficult and invasive procedure it’s not quite the best guitar he’s ever played any more? What then? Switch them back?

There’s so much misinformation on Internet forums, and much of it is from people who just feel the need to post things because of their need to feel included or whatever. I’m not that person.

When somebody goes into a forum to seek advice it’s usually because they want clarity. If you post something that only adds confusion then why bother? That’s the kind of thing I call out, and if you don’t like it, well quite frankly I couldn’t care less, it makes no difference to me if I’m blocked by the little forum lifers. The important thing is that new people who come here for clarity will be able to see posts that help them get it.

Accidentally irony?

What about the option where he immediately refrets the best guitar he’s ever played due to some poor advice off a manufacturers own forum and because of that difficult and invasive procedure it’s not quite the best guitar he’s ever played any more? What then? Switch them back?

There’s so much misinformation on Internet forums, and much of it is from people who just feel the need to post things because of their need to feel included or whatever. I’m not that person.

When somebody goes into a forum to seek advice it’s usually because they want clarity. If you post something that only adds confusion then why bother? That’s the kind of thing I call out, and if you don’t like it, well quite frankly I couldn’t care less, it makes no difference to me if I’m blocked by the little forum lifers. The important thing is that new people who come here for clarity will be able to see posts that help them get it.
Dude, what’s your problem? “Misinformation???” What misinformation did he receive? He was told that if he loved the guitar and absolutely insisted it have SS frets, that he could refret it. How is that “misinformation.” People do it all the time. And how is saying “if you absolutely must, yes you can do it” giving poor advice? And I told him point blank NOT TOO.

“Little forum lifers?” Posting just to feel included? I’m going to assume that you never finished the book “How To Win Friends and Influence People.” What makes you think you know more about guitars than Rick or I or anyone else who posted? And even if you do, which I seriously doubt, you might want to brush up on your reading skills. Or maybe comprehension skills. If someone posts something about refusing to buy a PRS just because it doesn’t have SS frets, you could say “if you really insist, then buy one and have it refretted.” But we added that. I’d never do that and would play the originals until it NEEDED to be refretted before even considering it. Multiple people say PRS frets last a LONG time and after all that someone still says “I’m not playing a PRS without SS” then we’re left with three options. Buy a Private Stock, buy any model you like and have it refretted or thanks for stopping buy and letting us know you weren’t buy a PRS. Not sure what your issue is.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far 11 of my guitars have stainless steel frets.

My brand new Paul's Guitar of course does not have them, but I don't mind stock frets at the moment. Not sure what PRS uses these days, but it feels nice to me. Doesn't feel quite as slick and hard as SS, but I don't mind them at all. They stay for now.

My Tylers didn't come with SS frets and I had them immediately done when I bought those guitars. My old 2002 PRS Experience CU24, bought used didn't have them, had that one immediately fretted SS by Phil Jacoby back in 2009.

My Taylor 914CE has been refretted with Jescar SS 57160.

All my Fender CS teles, strats have been refretted w/stainless.

My Andersons came with SS.

10yrs ago I probably would've had these on this Paul's Guitar immediately replaced with SS. Not feeling that way these days.

I've noticed inconsistencies in nickel/silver through the years. I'm sure others have too. I'm fatigued dealing with all these refrets over the last 20yrs though. Plus I'm really happy with the frets on my Paul's Guitar. Paul is making some great guitars these days.

I see a Private Stock DGT in my future. I don't see frets/fretwork being an issue at all based on my recent experience.

I Am Happy With Stock Frets But If And When It Comes Time To Replace Frets On Any Guitar I Always Go Stainless.

Did refret an old (92) CE with SS frets. Made a nice playing guitar a lot smoother, for me a very noticable improvement. In terms of sound; not a noticeable difference: guitar was snappy to begin with. I like that.

I have three Suhr's and an Anderson with Stainless Steel in them. One of the Suhr guitars is a main player of mine. I have not had any issues with my PRS frets. If I did and I had to have them re-fretted, I would have them done with SS. I don't hear any bad things with the SS frets. I forget they are in the guitars I have them in when playing. I like the way the strings feel when bending. The only thing I do different with these guitars is put the fret protectors on them when I put them in their cases. One of the Suhr guitars didn't come with a fret protector so I bought one for it. The other two are custom builds that came with them.

The only thing I do different with these guitars is put the fret protectors on them when I put them in their cases.
I Do The Same Yet Never Really Fully Understood Why The Fret Protector Was Even Necessary. Stainless Steel Frets Are Tougher And Last Longer Yet They Need A Fret Protector? I Would Think Anything Other Than Stainless Steel Frets Would Benefit More From A Fret Protector Yet It Seems Like Most Guitars With Stainless Frets Do Come With A Fret Protector. Of Course If I Am Remembering Right, The Only Brand Of Guitar I Own With A Fret Protector Is Suhr. I Can't Think Of Any Other Brands I Have That Have Them But I Very Well Could Be Wrong.

I have refretted a few PRS for customers with SS Jescar frets including a couple of “artist” guitars and one very nice Santana Retro. All of these were done due to the owners preference and not fret wear. All were improved in feel and customers are happy. I have also refretted a few worn out ones with he same result, so yes they do wear out eventually. I have also refretted brand new unplayed guitars with SS due to owners preference, one was a brand new Les Paul HP for a friend of mine. I only use Jescar wire which I feel is the hardest and smoothest. There is some acoustic brightness with them but it is minor and I don’t hear it through the amp. 90% of my personal guitars have SS frets and 99% of the fret jobs I do in my shop are SS.

I Do The Same Yet Never Really Fully Understood Why The Fret Protector Was Even Necessary. Stainless Steel Frets Are Tougher And Last Longer Yet They Need A Fret Protector? I Would Think Anything Other Than Stainless Steel Frets Would Benefit More From A Fret Protector Yet It Seems Like Most Guitars With Stainless Frets Do Come With A Fret Protector. Of Course If I Am Remembering Right, The Only Brand Of Guitar I Own With A Fret Protector Is Suhr. I Can't Think Of Any Other Brands I Have That Have Them But I Very Well Could Be Wrong.
The reason you really want to use a fret protector with SS frets is that they are very hard but that brings along one vulnerability with it. If the guitar takes a hit directly on the strings where it pushes the string against a fret, it will cause a divot from the string in the fret. You will feel that every time you bend that string across that divot. Since the frets are so hard it is a lot of work to get that divot out and you may have to do a complete level and crown if it is deep enough. Those types of things usually happen when the guitar is in it's case being transported.

The only guitars I have that came with the protectors are the two custom built Suhr guitars that I have. I have an Anderson that didn't come with one and I have a Suhr Standard Pro that didn't come with one. I bought a couple of them from somewhere on the internet for the two that I have that didn't have them just to be safe.

Only PRS I've owned that could have used a refret was my '95 CU22. It had been played hard before I got it around 2000. Even the finish on the tailpiece was worn through to the metal it was made from. (Aluminum?)

But I leveled them and recrowned them and played it and gigged with it for another 23 years before selling it this year...with the original frets.

String bending would have been easier had they been taller frets but it wasn't a big deal.

I have three Suhr's and an Anderson with Stainless Steel in them. One of the Suhr guitars is a main player of mine. I have not had any issues with my PRS frets. If I did and I had to have them re-fretted, I would have them done with SS. I don't hear any bad things with the SS frets. I forget they are in the guitars I have them in when playing. I like the way the strings feel when bending. The only thing I do different with these guitars is put the fret protectors on them when I put them in their cases. One of the Suhr guitars didn't come with a fret protector so I bought one for it. The other two are custom builds that came with them.
What are “fret protectors?”

What are “fret protectors?”
It is basically a plastic sheet cut to fit the fretboard with the soft side of velcro on the bottom of it to hold it in place. It slides between the frets and strings. This is the one I bought for my guitars that didn't have them.

It does seem kind of weird to replace frets on a brand new guitar tho.

I can see replacing frets after they're worn out. But before they're worn out doesn't make any sense.

Stainless steel frets are also more time consuming to install and level which would add to the cost of the guitar.

They do not bend to the arch of the fingerboard easily.

But we all want to pay more for new PRS guitars right?

Back