Household wiring question.

Mike J.

Can't find my "Wiring for Dummies" book so here I am!

Gonna install a new exterior motion sensor light.

Current fixture has a white wire, a black wire and a ground wire.

The wires coming out of the house are the same. White, black and ground.

The new fixture has a white and black wire but no ground wire.

What do I do with the ground wire coming from the house? There is nothing in the new instructions telling you what to do if there is a house ground wire.

Pardon my ignorance on this topic. Just don't want to assume anything.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Disclaimer! I am NOT an electrician, however I have wired up many outdoor and indoor light fixtures, as well as ceiling fans.

My first suggestion would be to check the wiring diagram that came with the motion light to see if it shows any grounds there. Usually the ground on the fixture side is just connected to the metal mounting piece that the fixture hangs from, as well as the ground wire on the house side. If there is no wire there, I', wondering if the diagram shows you where to connect the ground directly.

Disclaimer! I am NOT an electrician, however I have wired up many outdoor and indoor light fixtures, as well as ceiling fans.

My first suggestion would be to check the wiring diagram that came with the motion light to see if it shows any grounds there. Usually the ground on the fixture side is just connected to the metal mounting piece that the fixture hangs from, as well as the ground wire on the house side. If there is no wire there, I', wondering if the diagram shows you where to connect the ground directly.
I just edited my post saying that there is no mention in the instructions what to do with the house ground wire.

OK cool. My next thought is to wonder why it doesn't come with it's own ground. It may not be needed. Is there a mounting bracket that the light hangs onto? If so, I would just connect the ground to that and see if it functions properly. I would expect that it would and that would be all you need to do.

OK cool. My next thought is to wonder why it doesn't come with it's own ground. It may not be needed. Is there a mounting bracket that the light hangs onto? If so, I would just connect the ground to that and see if it functions properly. I would expect that it would and that would be all you need to do.
The mounting bracket and the light housing are plastic.

Oh, this is just getting better and better! I guess i'm just going to tape off the ground wire with electrical tape.

Can’t help you, in the UK we have to earth (ground) everything because of the 240 volt current.

Yes we do have electricity in Scotland. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🏴

The mounting bracket and the light housing are plastic.

Oh, this is just getting better and better! I guess i'm just going to tape off the ground wire with electrical tape.
I think this is your only choice if the housing & bracket are plastic.

Back