PRS electrics quality control problems

The electronics haven't been a particularly strong spot for the S2 line... I had a blade switch literally fall apart on my '14 S2 semi hollow, and have heard of plenty of other failures. But, to be fair, the electronics on my '15 and '18 S2's have been flawless.

Just plain bad luck on the 594 semi hollow. I think they're trying to source the best stuff they can for electronics for the core models, but stuff happens, I'm sure other makers have it happen too.

My opinion is occasional maintenance to the electronics on an electric is part of being a guitar player. Get something you love, sooner or later it'll have a pot or switch go bad, how soon it happens can be unfortunate, but really kind of irrelevant if you love the guitar.

I've had switches go bad on one or two S2s I got used. I recall reading about others having a similar experience. I bought Switchcraft switches on Amazon for about $25 and replaced them. I think the switches used in the S2 aren't as high quality as the ones used in the core guitars. Not sure that counts as quality control but rather just plain quality.

As far as the bad pickup, that's really unusual. Most likely a wiring or soldering issue. I've never had an issue like that with a core guitar and I've owned many, all of which I purchased used, and many of which were 10+ years old. I'd bet it wasn't PRS but a previous owner who is to blame.

I hope the pickup issue is a quick and inexpensive fix!
So got the guitar back from my tech today - in his opinion, the guitar had not been touched by the previous owner - all stock parts. Turns out the problem was a defective volume pot - took him a while to get there because he thought it would be a "connection" issue. He also said the quality of the electronics components in the S2 and `SE ranges is not the best. Still, the guitar once again sounds great.

Thanks for following up. A defective pot is also unusual but evidently it happens. Glad you got it fixed.

I have purchased my fair share of core PRS guitars, maybe more than my fair share by some standards. I have never had a part fail on any of them. I have gigged most of them and used them at home as well and all is still good.

So got the guitar back from my tech today - in his opinion, the guitar had not been touched by the previous owner - all stock parts. Turns out the problem was a defective volume pot - took him a while to get there because he thought it would be a "connection" issue. He also said the quality of the electronics components in the S2 and `SE ranges is not the best. Still, the guitar once again sounds great.
Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

I just bought a new Semi Hollow Special a week and half ago. There’s an issue with the tap toggles while in the tap mode. The signal randomly cut out, and no sound come out. I took back to CME, and of course they couldn’t find anything wrong. The nuts were a bit loose, so I tightened them up. But unfortunately the problem still persists. I’ll be sending it to PRS for repairs.

It just baffles me that a brand new guitar, especially a PRS has an issue straight out of the box. Maybe it got banged up during shipping or it got roughed up at the guitar shop. Who knows. Still, it’s beyond frustrating. This is my first PRS, and I’m not impressed.

I just bought a new Semi Hollow Special a week and half ago. There’s an issue with the tap toggles while in the tap mode. The signal randomly cut out, and no sound come out. I took back to CME, and of course they couldn’t find anything wrong. The nuts were a bit loose, so I tightened them up. But unfortunately the problem still persists. I’ll be sending it to PRS for repairs.

It just baffles me that a brand new guitar, especially a PRS has an issue straight out of the box. Maybe it got banged up during shipping or it got roughed up at the guitar shop. Who knows. Still, it’s beyond frustrating. This is my first PRS, and I’m not impressed.

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear that you’re having problems. Makes for a disappointing experience.

If your new guitar is in your avatar. Congrats you picked a bonnie one.

Sounds like a dealer issue to me. CME should take care of you in the first instance, especially when you’re spending that much money with them.

Short answer, PRS will take care of you, they have excellent customer service record.

Hopefully your SSH will be working as it should and you can enjoy it.

Last edited:

If you live close to CME I would take it back again an let them know the problem persists. Hopefully you can get it to do it while you are there. It sounds like the switch/s may be a little dirty inside or possibly a solder joint that needs reflowed. I would try flipping the switches back and forth with a little authority a few times sort of fast and see if that helps at all. I would say this is not a normal issue.

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear that you’re having problems. Makes for a disappointing experience.

If your new guitar is in your avatar. Congrats you picked a bonnie one.

Sounds like a dealer issue to me. CME should take care of you in the first instance, especially when you’re spending that much money with them.

Short answer, PRS will take care of you, they have excellent customer service record.

Hopefully your SSH will be working as it should and you can enjoy it.
Agreed. For example, they have a Private Stock Semi Hollow sitting on the floor that anyone can pick up and play. They should be more careful with their high end guitars.

Agreed. For example, they have a Private Stock Semi Hollow sitting on the floor that anyone can pick up and play. They should be more careful with their high end guitars.
That's one of the many things that makes CME great. You can play anything. That would be a very sad day for me if they changed. Go back and talk to them. They'll take care of you. Great guys and fantastic shop that you can rely on.

I traded two guitars for the PRS. One of them was a LP custom 5Q. The fretboard was richlite. It was advertised as an ebony fretboard on their website. I even discussed with them the affects of the resale value based on this. Great guys? I hope the new owner didn’t get mislead.

I traded two guitars for the PRS. One of them was a LP custom 5Q. The fretboard was richlite. It was advertised as an ebony fretboard on their website. I even discussed with them the affects of the resale value based on this. Great guys? I hope the new owner didn’t get mislead.
A typo or input error and toggle issue doesn't negate thousands on thousands of things done right. I'm 100% confident they werent intentionally trying to deceive anyone with the fretboard listing. For example, what's a LP custom 5Q? I'm guessing typo?

Sorry you're having an issue, its disappointing and sucks, but it'll get sorted. You purchased from one of the best shops and manufacturers there are. You're in good hands.

Back