PRS EG-4

PRS EG 1990 -1995
I thought I'd share what I know about PRS EG series, there's not a lot of info out as it was never a great seller.
If there's any glaring errors please let me know and I'll happily amend it.....

Highly regarded by players who want a guitar that'll stay in tune and cover a wide range of tones.
It's a shame that it was produced at a time when high gain amps and Floyd Rose super strats were the norm.
The idea was sound, have a quality entry level 22 fret guitar to compliment the 24 fret CE range.

Initially Prs approached Fujigen about producing the guitar under licence and six prototypes were made.
For some reason, the deal with Fujigen fell through and Prs went ahead making the series in the U.S. with a higher production cost using the same quality hardware as the rest of the factory.

Designed by Joe Knaggs, the EG's came in two flavours...
The EG3, coz it had 3 slanted S/C Seymour Duncan P'ups
The EG4, coz it had a HFS bridge humbucker and 2 Seymour Duncan S/C P'ups.
The Alder body, bolt on Maple neck with Rosewood Fingerboard was a classic design that shared the same basic DNA as a fender strat but combined them into a package that was undeniably PRS.

The neck had a really nice comfortable profile and was fitted with fatter frets than a traditional strat, which made it very easy to play.
In a nutshell, it takes the best bits of a strat and the tuning stability of a Prs and made a super strat thats a superb gigging machine.

Unfortunately the first batch made suffered from a design flaw which resulted in a weak neck pocket, tuning stability was a big issue and some of them started cracking under use.
This coupled with the high price of $860 didn't help sales.

In a bid to turn around the disappointing sales, Prs made some design changes in 1991 and my favourite guitar the EGII was born.
The neck pocket was beefed up, the body was flatter and more rounded.
Lyndy Fralin designed the distinctive Zero Hum noiseless Domino pick ups and the electrics were changed to 1 Vol Pot, 1 Tone Pot.
The Schaller non locking tuners were changed to Winged Tuners that were used on the more expensive models.
The EGII's came in the following flavours
3 Fralin Domino p.ups
1 Prs HFS humbucker and 2 Fralin Dominos. Pull/push coil tap on the tone pot.
1 HFS humbucker, Seymour Single coil, 1 VBass humbucker. Pull/push coil tap on the tone pot.

In 1993 a thin three piece Maple Cap model was introduced

Despite being absolute tone monsters, they were out of sync with what guitarist wanted at the time and never sold well. In an interview Paul Reed Smith actually admitted losing money on each guitar because of the decision to go with the higher production cost in the U.S.A.
Production ceased in 1995 with only 2000 guitars ever being made, making the USA made PRS EG's pretty rare and sought after.

I'll drop this right here for your enjoyment. EG3 Prototype from 1991. Check out the neck joint. Had Paul sign this last month when he was at CME.

iZJWHSS.jpg

M1iZZhO.jpg

G9VRmNZ.jpg

4SM84LY.jpg

MKW8CKZ.jpg

@bodia - Dude, every time I see you post this, I have to smile. I fell in love with the EG just from looking at the pics in the PRS Book you are referencing. While I was digging hard on this Proto (and freaked out when I saw Dave's had it for sale), it ended up being the Burgundy Mist EG3 on the same page that won out, hence my desire to nab my gold EG3....

Anyway, how does that guitar sound? I am so very curious because it seems like it the specs are so bizarre - set neck, all mahogany, 3 singles. To me that either spells disaster or something VERY unique. Again, it's another one (like the seafoam Paul's) that you saved me from buying. How did Paul react to seeing that bad-boy?

Oh, and since this is kind of an EG thread, here's my EG3 - a REAL sleeper as far as guitars go. I still prefer it over the Silver Sky.

@bodia - Dude, every time I see you post this, I have to smile. I fell in love with the EG just from looking at the pics in the PRS Book you are referencing. While I was digging hard on this Proto (and freaked out when I saw Dave's had it for sale), it ended up being the Burgundy Mist EG3 on the same page that won out, hence my desire to nab my gold EG3....

Anyway, how does that guitar sound? I am so very curious because it seems like it the specs are so bizarre - set neck, all mahogany, 3 singles. To me that either spells disaster or something VERY unique. Again, it's another one (like the seafoam Paul's) that you saved me from buying. How did Paul react to seeing that bad-boy?

Oh, and since this is kind of an EG thread, here's my EG3 - a REAL sleeper as far as guitars go. I still prefer it over the Silver Sky.

I'd say closer to unique sounding than disaster. My only other single coil guitar is a Clapton Strat from the mid 90s. I dropped it off Feb 4th for a neck strip and refinish in Danish Oil, and a refret Guy says 2 weeks. Maybe a little longer because he's having surgery. Might be 4, if that's the case. Still don't have it back. Not really minding either because the EG Proto fills the bill. I'd say it is a little darker sounding, and with less "snap" due to the wood choices. I really like the sculpted neck heel. The pick ups are noiseless Fralins as @Big Norm referenced in his post. Like most PRS guitars, it sounds best (or most SC like) when you roll the volume back a tad. Really happy with it.

Love that gold EG of yours, as well! Such a cool color.

Did you know that when Joe Knaggs designed the EG series he used his beloved Strat as the template and originally they were planning to have them made in Japan to keep the costs down?

The Very First EG made in 1988
An ultra cool piece of PRS History. This guitar was a prototype made in Japan for a joint venture between PRS and Fuji Gen Gakki. This is the very first of the six that were built.
PRS had decided that they needed a Strat killer, and went after the market with a single coil bolt on guitar.
5EgQTgN.jpg

The project with Fuji was abandoned, and the EG was eventually put into production at the PRS factory.
QVC4MWZ.jpg

This rare piece was sold by the PRS factory in May of 1993, along with other rare archival guitars in an effort to improve cash flow of the young company.
A guitar like this would never be allowed out of the factory today.

B7PGLdx.jpg

Note the Winged tuners on the prototype, the first production run of EG3 and EG4’s had non locking Schaller M6 tuners.
8TWpsEs.jpg

Info via Mike Hansons superb Prs Archive

I fell in love the EG series and my favourite gigging guitars are from 1992, of which I now have three.
The red EG-2 is my go to guitar as it’s just right. The Fralin zero hum pick ups are fantastic and I spend most of the gig on the middle pick up.
The black EG-2 is a back up, for string breaks etc.
eRjfkhX.jpg

The latest eg2 has the rare baby blue finish and is currently in bits waiting for a couple of key components.
The Zero Hum Fralins were missing so Ive commissioned a uk pick up winder to clone them inc 3d printing the covers
t0bySXt.jpg

The latest eg2 has the rare baby blue finish and is currently in bits waiting for a couple of key components.
The Zero Hum Fralins were missing so Ive commissioned a uk pick up winder to clone them inc 3d printing the covers
t0bySXt.jpg

Nice. I was wondering who bought this - you’re lucky I did not buy it earlier...
I liked the upgrades and a HS configuration would really have worked for me.

Edit: Oh, and unless I missed something, I don’t recall seeing a NGD thread for this guitar.

Last edited:
I've just realised I've gatecrashed someone else's old thread asking about the EG models...
Please accept my apologies tonytester, I will remove my comments if I've overstepped the mark..
oops

BIG NORM IS THE MAN thanks for the eg info . i'm still searching for a clear shot of the eg2 schematic'
I think customer service e mailed them to me. It' worth a try.
next i need the history of the NF 3.

I totally forgot to answer about the reaction Paul had when he saw it.

I pulled it out of the gig bag, and handed it over back side up since that was where he would be signing (back of headstock). He got this curious look on his face. Not sure if it was the sculpted neck joint, or the fact that it doesn't have a serial number. He turned it over and said, "oh, look at you!" We had a brief conversation about the signature, personalization, etc. That was about it. Would have loved to have gone deeper, but there were about 30 guys behind me waiting to get their stuff signed. I did say that I would contact PRS if I ever wanted to move it in case they wanted it for the Archive.

I totally forgot to answer about the reaction Paul had when he saw it.

I pulled it out of the gig bag, and handed it over back side up since that was where he would be signing (back of headstock). He got this curious look on his face. Not sure if it was the sculpted neck joint, or the fact that it doesn't have a serial number. He turned it over and said, "oh, look at you!" We had a brief conversation about the signature, personalization, etc. That was about it. Would have loved to have gone deeper, but there were about 30 guys behind me waiting to get their stuff signed. I did say that I would contact PRS if I ever wanted to move it in case they wanted it for the Archive.

Sweet!! That's awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Came back and had a look at these photos on my lap top. Oooofffttt! Mark that is one sweet guitar.

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:30345065-6206-43f7-abb0-6f0f4df00101

norm try this link i created, If I could work a computer like I play the guitar I would never even be able get to this forum.
Hi Tonytester, thank you so much for the wiring schematics, Shawn from customer service didn't have these when I recently emailed him, so this is buried treasure as far as I'm concerned.
Do you mind if I post them on this thread so other EG owners can use them if need be?

Back