PRS CE 22 20th Anniversary - pickups change

blackthorn

Just found a 20th Anniv CE 22 in nice condition.
http://imgur.com/a/KxQWi

I was looking all over the internet about this color, but only found 2 sites with a similar one and they called Graphite Metallic. If anybody knows more about this color please let me know.
AU3yVgI.jpg

Also not a big fan of Dragon 2 pups, kinda sterile and compressed clean and too much mids on overdrive. I'm looking to replace them, but I don't want to spent lots of money for usual PRS swaps with 57/00 or BK. Also not a big fan of Duncan Jazz/JB combo. If you have any suggestions for hot PAF style pickups that will work well with rotary switch please let me know.

Thanks

M

I have a DGT bridge and the stock Dragon 2 in the neck, that works pretty well with the rotary. You would have to find a rotary compatible DGT though, and besides mine I have only ever seen one other in the wild.

You don't like the Jazz? I love the Jazz, but like you, I can't stand the JB. My favorite Duncan bridge pickup is the Custom Custom with the Alnico 2 magnet. Depends on the guitar though. With your maple neck you might have very different results from mine.

Play it for a month before you change the pickups. You don`t know until you`ve tried it.

Is that a '06? I just took delivery of a '96 CE 24 in Blazing Copper. From what I have read, PRS used some automotive finishes (DuPont IIRC) on the CE's during that time period, and yours fits the bill.

As far as pickups go, I still prefer the HFS and Hot Vintage Treble (my '91 CU24 has one and it is certainly a hot PAF tone) with Vintage Bass neck pups over the limited experience I have had with the more recent PRS pups. I did like the Dragon IIs I dropped in an SE Singlecut though! If you don't like the JB, stay away from the Tremonti bridge....it's a custom PRS take on it.

Thanks, I don't want to put big money in pickups, I was looking for something like Duncans or DiMarzio. Guitar is a 2006 for sure, it has 20th anniversary cover and serial in the range of 2006. I don't find anywhere much things about the color. It was maybe a special dealer order.

Is that a '06? I just took delivery of a '96 CE 24 in Blazing Copper. From what I have read, PRS used some automotive finishes (DuPont IIRC) on the CE's during that time period, and yours fits the bill.

As far as pickups go, I still prefer the HFS and Hot Vintage Treble (my '91 CU24 has one and it is certainly a hot PAF tone) with Vintage Bass neck pups over the limited experience I have had with the more recent PRS pups. I did like the Dragon IIs I dropped in an SE Singlecut though! If you don't like the JB, stay away from the Tremonti bridge....it's a custom PRS take on it.

A friend of mine had a 96 CE24 in Blue Holoflake, it was so nice, but have the same pickup issues. He don't like VB - HFS, changed them for Dragon 2 and feel the same things about them. He found a set of Dragon 1 and is happy with them, for me Dragon 1 are hot and compressed too. I have a set of GFS Slick Old School Alnico 5, I am thinking to try them, but I don't know if split positions will sound ok.

At the time yours was made, PRS were using four DuPont Hot Hues colours: cappuccino, blazing copper, indigo and purple. I had a cappuccino CE-22 at a time, and although it's hard to be sure from your picture, yours looks to be the same colour.

You should be able to find a set of 59/09s for a pretty reasonable price. They're definitely worth looking at.

Thanks, I'm looking for a set of 59/09s. If you have other ideas please let me know. Color is capuccino, thank for info.

Super cool! Congrats! Gotta agree with those that have suggested the 59s. Good luck on your quest!

Back