PRS Bernie - "Lightest" Color Year

Chartle

VIPro Member
Has anyone noticed if there is a particular year of Bernie's that appear to have the lightest top in color? I've been looking to follow suit of everyone else and pick one up but I can be picky on tops. I prefer a more yellow color not so much darker amber tone, and the Santana Yellow just seems too bright without multiple color tones (as well as much more expensive as a euro only..). It seems like the oldest 2011 Marsdens (Serial: N) are generally brighter. I also imagine it may completely luck of the draw as much as cameras and lighting affect pictures so much but thought I'd bring up the thread anyways and discuss. Cheers!

Examples, maybe even from some members of this forum (also happy to remove any photos at owners request :)):
8954973654_61e7a798d5_b.jpg

23624402881_0beddf8059_b.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Compared to one of Bernie's himself, even with some direct lighting:

maxresdefault.jpg

Not much help here, but I did look at two Bernies from 2015. Both were extremely close in coloring and in the realm of the top three pictures above (or not as dark as Bernie's Bernie). The take away is that they were very consistent with each other when I placed them side by side and in online pictures I saw of them. I also saw a 2014 or 2013 model online (that I didn't see in person) with all three sets of pictures taken under similar conditions. It looked identical to the two I did see in person. Again, not much help but I would guess that the coloring is very similar and consistent for all production models (though I could be very wrong).

Don't think there was a lightest colour year... Just pot luck as to whether they're more Amber looking or closer to a tobacco burst.

Really dependant on light too. Mine can look remarkably different in certain conditions.

Thanks for the information, guys. I may just have to take the dive. Too bad EU got the color options although I should probably worry more about the weight anyways haha :D

Its just a pretty veneer on top of a stellar guitar, so take your pic

I bought two in the last few years, one was sold as amber burst and one was sold as vintage tobacco burst by the dealer. The colours are noticeably different. I sold the amber burst so I can't upload the two side by side.

Certainly not mine. It's black ;) That being said, as much as I love a sunburst, I'm a big fan of the understated look of the plain black top. Although, I am pretty jealous of a certain Trampas Green BM I saw floating around here...

I bought two in the last few years, one was sold as amber burst and one was sold as vintage tobacco burst by the dealer. The colours are noticeably different. I sold the amber burst so I can't upload the two side by side.
Shucks that would be very interesting to see 2 of the same color side by side. Do you recall the year of the models by chance? Got any pics of the one you have now in neutral type lighting?

As far as the black top, I got a Clint Lowery and U.S. Custom 22 in black already so I wanted to switch it up a bit :)

The PRS that Bernie is playing looks very close to the Vintage Sunburst from the European Final Run, although based on the date, the guitars were not released then. Also, in that same youtube video, Lee Anderton holds another PRS (not a Bernie though) that seems to have the same colour scheme as the first two photos. Not sure if that change is just due to the lighting.

I am in the market for a Bernie myself, but I would really love to get the lighter colour. I have a store 3 hours away that has one in stock - might need to drive there one of these days and see what it looks like in person.

The PRS that Bernie is playing looks very close to the Vintage Sunburst from the European Final Run, although based on the date, the guitars were not released then. Also, in that same youtube video, Lee Anderton holds another PRS (not a Bernie though) that seems to have the same colour scheme as the first two photos. Not sure if that change is just due to the lighting.

I am in the market for a Bernie myself, but I would really love to get the lighter colour. I have a store 3 hours away that has one in stock - might need to drive there one of these days and see what it looks like in person.
If you ever check it out, post a pic! Always cool to see a wild (or tamed) Bernie! I love the color of that PRS SC245 you mentioned Lee is holding - must be honey burst or mccarty burst. What I'd actually like to replicate in fact. Unfortunately the "true" burst options are pretty much none as a flame top in the SE selection which is understandable. One of the recent exceptions I really like is the Chris Robertson from Black Stone Cherry model. Beautiful!! but expensive and I need that brighter color fix :) I keep going back and forth but I may have to do the Santana Yellow version.

If you ever check it out, post a pic! Always cool to see a wild (or tamed) Bernie! I love the color of that PRS SC245 you mentioned Lee is holding - must be honey burst or mccarty burst. What I'd actually like to replicate in fact. Unfortunately the "true" burst options are pretty much none as a flame top in the SE selection which is understandable. One of the recent exceptions I really like is the Chris Robertson from Black Stone Cherry model. Beautiful!! but expensive and I need that brighter color fix :) I keep going back and forth but I may have to do the Santana Yellow version.

The Santana Yellow has a natural back which for me is a complete dealbreaker. If not for that, it would be my preferred choice.

There is still a decent selection of the Bernies in Europe, but all of them are around 3 to 5 hours drive away and all of them in different directions. Since I don't have enough posts, I can't post links yet, but for the Vintage Sunburst and the Tobacco Sunburst, the pictures provided by online stores all look very different. Not sure if it is the lighting, or if they have the wrong pictures up, but the Tobacco Sunburst on one site looks very dark and on another it looks lighter than the Vintage Sunburst.

The wife reckons I have the best chance of seeing some action if I serenaded her with a Black Cherry one, so perhaps that would be the best way of solving this decision...

My 2012 Bernie from Original through a couple of mods. Finish looks really different depending on lighting conditions. I don't think it's as dark in person as it appears in a couple of these pics. Regardless of color, GREAT guitar.

20150824_111858_zpstsyiguly.jpg

Bernie%20After%203_zpsf8hgzcam.jpg

20150824_144151_zpsd5qwbnqk.jpg

Last edited:
The Santana Yellow has a natural back which for me is a complete dealbreaker. If not for that, it would be my preferred choice.

There is still a decent selection of the Bernies in Europe, but all of them are around 3 to 5 hours drive away and all of them in different directions. Since I don't have enough posts, I can't post links yet, but for the Vintage Sunburst and the Tobacco Sunburst, the pictures provided by online stores all look very different. Not sure if it is the lighting, or if they have the wrong pictures up, but the Tobacco Sunburst on one site looks very dark and on another it looks lighter than the Vintage Sunburst.

The wife reckons I have the best chance of seeing some action if I serenaded her with a Black Cherry one, so perhaps that would be the best way of solving this decision...
Yeah lighting will make definitely make it tough. I always try to request pictures, laid flat next to another popular finish that is easily recognizable such as typical Gibson honeybursts. I didn't think too much of the natural back but that's a good thought! Speaking of good thoughts, sounds like you should follow through with the Black Cherry... ;)

My 2012 Bernie from Original through a couple of mods. Finish looks really different depending on lighting conditions. I don't think it's as dark in person as it appears in a couple of these pics. Regardless of color, GREAT guitar.
Absolutely beautiful! If I knew I could get this color tone of looker I'd save myself time trying to sort through Europe alternatives haha congrats!

Here's one in yellow in case anyone is interested or have never seen one. It looks like a great alternative to Gibson's Translucent Amber. Although I should mention all the Santana Yellows I've seen in person have been too bright of a yellow for my taste. I still am contemplating it but it would cost a couple hundred more I could use on upgrades... hmm
20160730_102332.jpg

Here's one in yellow in case anyone is interested or have never seen one. It looks like a great alternative to Gibson's Translucent Amber. Although I should mention all the Santana Yellows I've seen in person have been too bright of a yellow for my taste. I still am contemplating it but it would cost a couple hundred more I could use on upgrades... hmm
20160730_102332.jpg

That guitar is right up my alley! Love everything about it...including the color. That's precisely what I want in a Bernie.

Gimme!!!!!!!!!

Here is a picture taken directly from the PRS website of the 2015 Bernie.

Here are pictures of the Limited Run Bernies. The one on the right is the Vintage Sunburst.

Seems to me like the Limited Run has a slightly darker border, but that could purely be due to the lighting.

Here is a picture of a Vintage Sunburst copied from the Wildwire Guitar website.

This one look to have a border similar to that of the Limited Run, but again it could purely be lighting.

All of the pictures so far look pretty similar to the 2015 Bernies, however, the German retailer session.de has some different photos for the Vintage Sunburst. Unfortunately I could not copy their pictures as their website does not allow me to do so. However, they can be viewed here - https://www.session.de/PRS-SE-Bernie-Marsden-VS-LTD.html. The colour on that is significantly darker than the previous pics and their Tobacco Sunburst pics are darker still.

So I really have no clue how the actual colour of the Vintage Sunbursts would be if you get one of the Limited Run Bernies. I ordered a Black Cherry online, so unless that guitar is a dog, I won't be driving to see what it looks like in person anytime soon.

I have found a review video of the Limited Run Bernie's on the session website here - https://www.session.de/PRS-SE-Berni...=Produktdetailseite&emcs2=716534&emcs3=716533. The video really highlights the colours much better and based on this, I would say the the Vintage Sunburst is really close to the 2015 Sunburst. He plays the Tobacco Sunburst and at the 5:40 mark starts showing the different colours. First one is Tobacco Sunburst, second one is Vintage Sunburst, third one is Grey Black.

Hi Chartle,

Has your Bernie arrived yet? I am very interested to see what colour you got and how it compares to the others.

Cheers,

Hi Chartle,

Has your Bernie arrived yet? I am very interested to see what colour you got and how it compares to the others.

Cheers,
Hey hey,
Unfortunately, still waiting. The tracking has been stuck on "The shipment will be transported to the destination country and, from there, handed over to the delivery organization". I was estimated by the end of this week but I kind of expect next week or even the following with DHL/post. Hopefully customs can get it through quickly as I hate for it to be sitting in random temperatures for prolonged times. That said, Ill def update the thread once I receive it.

Back