PRS Amp?

Erm... I'm probably gonna get kicked out of some club or other.

'Cause it's not an amp and yet it's a whole lot of them: Axe-FX II. :vroam:

In-freaking-credible, especially with the updates they've put out over the last year.

Now gathering dust in my music room are a Rivera Knucklehead Reverb, Mesa Boogie Mark III, Budda Superdrive II, THD Flexi 50 and assorted lesser amps.

CAD Dallas.

RedGear4.JPG

When running Tubes, I use my PRS Original Sewell - "Rev B". I really dig the sounds.

When I don't feel there's enough time to go tubes I use my old Fender BXR 15 watt bass combo practice amp. It takes pedals well and as a bass amp deals with a huge range of frequencies for such a small package.

It changes weekly...really it does with me. Right now, I can't stop playing the Archon. I have settled on running the clean channel volume full on and the lead channel volume at just about 1 (out of 10). Set the masters for the right relative volumes and it's near perfect. The nice thing is if I'm playing it live and I want a more modern tone for a song, I just slip the lead volume up to 5 and it's high gain city with no change in output level. I really love that amp.

Archon4_zpsd4256d49.jpg

If I integrate my PRS amp love up over time though, the MDT gets more love than any of the others (and I have a few...) Come to think of it though, I haven't plugged into Martysnarf's 2-channel C lately and I think it'll be falling in love all over again if I do that...

I REALLY want an HXDA...that being said, I am still in love, almost two years later, with my Mesa Boogie Express+ 5:50 Combo...so long as I don't touch the knobs ;)

Running the clean channel in 5W Class A mode just brings out the warmth and definition in every guitar I own - it's what I use when I want to appreciate the differences in them all.

I had the 25W EL84 version originally, but the 50W 6V6 version seems to smooth out the flabbiness that is so easy to dial in. Smooth and amazing overtones and harmonics on the gain.

Also, has the solo boost feature, perfect for leads, it's a variable second master that's footswitchable - more volume, same tone. Why doesn't everyone do this?

I REALLY want an HXDA...that being said, I am still in love, almost two years later, with my Mesa Boogie Express+ 5:50 Combo...so long as I don't touch the knobs ;)

I think the two amps would compliment each other nicely.

Also, has the solo boost feature, perfect for leads, it's a variable second master that's footswitchable - more volume, same tone. Why doesn't everyone do this?

I've had a number of amps with that feature; it's standard on some Two-Rocks, the Mark V, and others I've had. It's a cool feature but I never used it - based on how I like to play.

No doubt you've heard me say this before, and you're probably sick of reading it, but a lot of amps are designed to be controlled old-school, where stuff like that is controlled from the guitar. I generally set mine up for a good clean tone on 3, a good crunch tone on 4-5, and at 7 the gain builds quite a bit. So for a solo, I just turn the guitar up to around 8-9, and I'm happening, and still have headroom if I need it.

Then, too, lots of players use a boost pedal (that would be me as well, for certain types of tunes) or a volume pedal.

Also, there are probably some reasons not to have a boost switch if the designer takes a purist approach, and thinks the circuit might compromise the tone of the amp.

So there could be a lot of reasons not to have the boost function. And of course, a lot of reasons to have one as well. :)

I still haven't even touched a PRS amp since the HG I fooled with at Make'n Music 20+yrs ago... Somebody invite me over! I'll bring beer!

Old faithful is a MKIIB been with me over 30 years :)
and
My Tweaker 15 is great sounding also

Currently has to be a Mesa Roadster, closely followed by a MKV

When I need less functionality, both my Matchless Indy and Mesa Lonestar Classic are hard to beat for edge of breakup and mild overdrive, but I have now voiced the preamps on both Roadster and MKV to give me the same sound stage

Been gassing for a Custom 50 Head, which would be my 1st PRS amp - but can't decide which of the above I want to part with. According to my wife, I really do not need another amp ... go figure

I have an Archon on order, it's due in the middle of May, I have the Stealth 2X12 ordered with it. Do I pony up and get the 4 speaker Stealth or just stick with the 2X12? I don't play out much, maybe twice a month at most.

Thoughts?

If you don't need total earth destroying volume, I would stick with the 2x12... I used to gig with a 4x12, and I (aka my back) am glad those days are over!

Can't decide between these 2, depends on my mood I guess:

372eeddb57d16d363d5e1932edbc3989_zps3c5e79ae.jpg

IMG_0732_zpsc9dceb5e.jpg

Ohhhhh....super jealous of that matching PRS 4x12! How does it compare to others? I haven't found one to check out near me.

Archon is my favorite amp.

Ohhhhh....super jealous of that matching PRS 4x12! How does it compare to others? I haven't found one to check out near me.

Archon is my favorite amp.
I've only used the Archon with the Avatar with Hellatone Vintage 30s and the Splawn with Scumback BM-75s (brighter greenbacks). The PRS cab is tighter, more focused bass than the Avatar with essentially the same speakers. The cabs are almost the exact same dimensions too so I assume any differences I hear are cab construction differences or the pre-broken in V30s in the Avatar. Not sure how to describe it, but the cleans seem a little more alive/3D with the PRS cab too. Again, might just been the speakers, but I definitely like it whatever it is. I've only run the Archon into the Splawn cab for a few mins. It does a cool old school 70s metal tone if you pump up the mids. I normally use that cab with the Friedman SS since that's my 80s Hot Rodded Marshall tone. I also just got a Splawn 2x12 that's roughly the size of the PRS Big Mouth 2x12 that I've loaded with BM-75LDC Scumbacks, similar to G12-65 Celestions. Haven't tried the Archon with it yet, but I'll maybe do that today. I plan to use that 2x12 as my main rehearsal cab since it's a little more portable.

Last edited:
Back