PRS CE24 and best paired amp

scottfreeindy

I'm usually an acoustic player but bought a beauty PRS CE23 in 2017 and picked up a Fender Pro Jr III amp but have not liked the sound coming out of amp. I know this guitar is a lifer and it deserves a better match for an amp. Because I don't rock out on it or play it enough, hoping some insight on a better matched amp to sing to me so I pick up my PRS more than my Martin's and Taylor's.
Mesa Badlander was one highly mentioned
Marshall as well
HELP!!!

It all depends on what kind of sound you're going for. Personally, this is why I prefer modellers. You can try out a whole bunch of virtual amps and see which one(s) best suit the guitar, your playing, and the music.

I agree with the above. However, the tube amps I used with my CE24 (semi-hollow) guitars with 85/15 pickups were both Bad Cats. I used a Sampson-era Hot Cat 30R and one of their last handwired amps - a Cub IV R. Those were paired with a Bad Cat 1x12 with their proprietary V30 (sounds AMAZING!!).

The HC 30R was LOUD and tight. The Cub was more like an AC15. Each offered a lot of tonal options with the stock CE24 wiring and pickups. The amps were touch/volume responsive, allowing me a ton of dynamics. I only used a Strymon Flint in the loop of both amps for Harmonic Tremolo and Spring Reverb - even though both amps had spring reverb.

Expensive, but VERY worth it as Bad Cats sound almost any way you want them to.

What Type Of Music Do You Play? What Type Of Tones Do you Gravitate Towards? How Loud Can You Play And Do You Play? Do You Have A Cabinet For Said Amp? Are You Looking For A Head And Cab Or A Combo Amp? How Much Do You Want To Spend? I Can Load You Up With Choices Once I Know Which Direction To Properly Point You In.

Soooo subjective. First thing is what is your gain threshold…..everyone’s suggestions would need to know what your ceiling for usable gain is and that is different for everyone. A cranked tweed is gainy to some, for me it is a pushed Bogner, Friedman, or Mesa Mark V……..

I'm usually an acoustic player but bought a beauty PRS CE24 in 2017 and picked up a Fender Pro Jr III amp but have not liked the sound coming out of amp. I know this guitar is a lifer and it deserves a better match for an amp. Because I don't rock out on it or play it enough, hoping some insight on a better matched amp to sing to me so I pick up my PRS more than my Martin's and Taylor's.
Mesa Badlander was one highly mentioned
Marshall as well
HELP!!!

Thanks for all your replies and rec’s.
Most responses inquired about my music taste and sound preference.
Honestly, looking for that smooth buttery sound from playing either Jazz like or even 70’s (Eagles/Beatles) …
Most of my rock-out yrs are behind me but still come out on occasion but settled into softer tones and clarity

I'd just go to a store with your guitar and start auditioning amps. Depending on your needs, something like a Katana might fit the bill nicely, or if you really must have a tube amp, there are lots of options, but they get expensive and are becoming increasingly hard to maintain as tubes get more and more scarce.

Lots of choices out there… honestly it won’t take much to sound better than the Pro Jr.

A ‘65 Princeton or Deluxe RI, Sonzera 20 (the new version), Suhr Hombre, Mesa Fillmore, Tone King Imperial, would all be good amps to look at, and of course the boutique options abound.

Back