Private Stock Friday

Not being funny...these are all diseased portions of the tree, right?

And...somebody in the shop MIGHT need a level, all those frets are crooked.

Just trying to assist in the QC process.

It wasn’t that many years ago that spalted timber got thrown on the burning pile to prevent it from infecting the rest of the stock in the wood yard!

It’s not all that uncommon, but it often has bark inclusions or flaws. Really clean pieces are a bit more of a challenge to find. A couple of other guitar companies have made quite a few buckeye burl top guitars, and bass luthiers have been using it for quite some time.

Steve, just wondering if you know about any influence on tone/sound compared to a maple, rosewood or others. Do you know if they keep much selection of this in PS or if it's worth investigating for a new build. Sure like the look though for uniqueness. Thanks ahead for your feedback.

Steve, just wondering if you know about any influence on tone/sound compared to a maple, rosewood or others. Do you know if they keep much selection of this in PS or if it's worth investigating for a new build. Sure like the look though for uniqueness. Thanks ahead for your feedback.

A couple of weeks ago, PRS had none available. I have several guitars made with it (none PRS including one in the works), and they sound great.

It wasn’t that many years ago that spalted timber got thrown on the burning pile to prevent it from infecting the rest of the stock in the wood yard!
The kiln cycle should kill the offending fungus. There are suppliers who also intentionally infect their wood to get good spalted stock. Not the strongest wood if it goes too deep in the process. Also depends on the tree.

Buckeye burl trades exceptional beauty for density, which gets pretty low the more "buckeye" you get. I'd be very interested in a buckeye tone report, as well as from someone who's had their buckeye top impregnated with cyanoacrylate.

This thread is ridiculous.

I wonder if I can order an Om TRC for my PS Santana that came with a plain one.

I'll be having Private Stock Tuesday next week!

38244410_10212410979373575_7077628713898082304_o.jpg

Yeah, the laser cut ones look kinda busted on an otherwise ornate guitar. I’m patiently awaiting my new Santana to require a truss rod adjustment so I can toss it in the bag with all my other trc’s.

I put an etched cover on my SC594. I think it looks great against the ebony headstock overlay. The rosewood version looked out of place.
om.jpg

I put an etched cover on my SC594. I think it looks great against the ebony headstock overlay. The rosewood version looked out of place.
View attachment 6615

You know, right after I posted it, I went ahead and pulled it off. After I went downstairs to put it away I made a split second decision to throw it on that matte black Santana SE I have, and damn, youre right, it looks great on a black headstock!

Back