Private Stock Friday

That is a bit strange to me. One of my hobbies is scrimshaw and I work with normal (legal) ivory as well as mammoth ivory and some other materials. Mammoth ivory is generally 10,000 years old or thereabouts, so harvesting it is basically digging it up out of the ground. Illegally harvested ivory would be that from poached animals and should be easily distinguishable from mammoth or fossil ivory. Also, some mammoth ivory is mineral-stained from its long immersion in the soil and can occur in different colors. You can even order some from companies like Boone Trading Company in Washington state. It's all perfectly legal. I have some myself set aside for a future project.

Puzzling....

I suspect they meant "difficult to distinguish" in the context of customs agents, etc but am not certain.

Edit: I just went back through my emails and found the actual reason I was given for PRS no longer offering mammoth ivory:

“Mammoth Ivory is no longer available for order from PRS Guitars Private Stock department. Some states are starting to restrict the transportation of all ivory, (regardless of whether it is an extinct species such as mammoths). We are taking this precautionary, due diligence measure as part of our compliance program.”

Last edited:
I suspect they meant "difficult to distinguish" in the context of customs agents, etc but am not certain.

Edit: I just went back through my emails and found the actual reason I was given for PRS no longer offering mammoth ivory:

“Mammoth Ivory is no longer available for order from PRS Guitars Private Stock department. Some states are starting to restrict the transportation of all ivory, (regardless of whether it is an extinct species such as mammoths). We are taking this precautionary, due diligence measure as part of our compliance program.”

Of course you are right, CatStrangler, in your edit. I don't think that properly trained customs agents would have any difficulty in distinguishing. The PRS quote certainly points the finger at governmental bureaucracy's knee-jerk reaction to pressures from all sorts of groups. Not saying that's all bad, but they are in the position of reactionary measures instead of preventative measures. To wit: a news article recently cited Prince Harry's intentions of going after poachers now that his military obligations have been fulfilled. I think we should encourage him also to target illegal harvesting of exotic woods as well. Just think, to carry this line of thinking a little further, it is not inconceivable that the same restrictions could, and in some cases have, i.e. Brazilian Rosewood, eventually be placed against the importation/transportation of certain of our most favorite drool-worthy woods. It is a very good thing that Paul is doing all he can to re-forest and manage those areas that have been harvested.

Ok, rant is over. Let's get back to the purpose of this thread.

Thank you, Hunter, for all the tantalizing shots. Gorgeous, as always. Don't stop doing what you're doing! We love and appreciate it.

This is beautiful. What color is this? It's like a royal blue with a hint of purple.
I second this question. And if it's a custom colour, please record what you did to get it. It's like a (much) bluer shade of Violet.

And if you are about to introduce it, and haven't named it yet, feel free to call it "blurple" (my personal favourite colour that isn't black).

Where's the "gets all dreamy-eyed" smiley?

I second this question. And if it's a custom colour, please record what you did to get it. It's like a (much) bluer shade of Violet.

And if you are about to introduce it, and haven't named it yet, feel free to call it "blurple" (my personal favourite colour that isn't black).

Where's the "gets all dreamy-eyed" smiley?

We went with Aqua Violet on this one!

We went with Aqua Violet on this one!

It looks like a popular color for Brian's Guitars. http://briansguitars.com/product/paul-reed-smith-private-stock-hollowbody-ii-aqua-violet-glow-1

HB2.jpg

This PS HB2 in Aqua Violet is gorgeous.

Back