Private Stock “average cost”?

C_corie

I know dealers can send in requests but it seems that it may depend on the dealer and of course the specs. Is there a true “entry price”?

Is there any haggle room or because it’s custom made the price is the price.

I’ve always usually haggled or bought scratch and dent or clearance or discontinued stuff, I’m assuming that logic holds true:

You’d get a better deal with a clearance pre-made private stock that’s just hanging on a dealers wall?

Thanks for any guidance.

tenor.gif

On a serious note, contact dealers for info cause PS = highest level of customization and depends on what you want to spec. Or like you said go with dealer spec'd in-stock PS and maybe you'll even find what you like, can't go wrong with either.

59970475_2199183406824748_1827743811216867328_o.jpg

I just wonder if they “start” at $8500 or 10000 or more?

I’d love a SA looking Santana guitar but it makes me wonder if it would end up being a $17000 guitar.

I’m hoping they come out with a “Retro” model core guitar, like a Santana/West St type thing, no binding and very plain minus a nice a top maybe.

I love that body shape and the slightly shorter scale.

I just wonder if they “start” at $8500 or 10000 or more?

I’d love a SA looking Santana guitar but it makes me wonder if it would end up being a $17000 guitar.

I’m hoping they come out with a “Retro” model core guitar, like a Santana/West St type thing, no binding and very plain minus a nice a top maybe.

I love that body shape and the slightly shorter scale.
You should hit up a couple of dealer websites and look at the prices, or contact a dealer and request a price sheet. We're not allowed to discuss new guitar pricing here.

Welcome to the forum, btw.

Cool Santana but that color ahhhhhhhhh.

So what I have now:

1997 CE-22 Goldtop with birds, my first real guitar...when eBay was new. Got it brand new for let’s just say very cheap.

2010 Starla LTD, might sell, bought new pickups are idk a little too harsh.

2014 CU24 10 Tort, got “NOS” in 2017, another great deal.

Long story have a 2012 408 MT my father has it now it may get sold or he may keep it. Did not love that guitar, waited 4-6 months for it too. “Dirt Birds” what a letdown.

I have a lead on one of those Santana SE standard all mahogany, seems like a cheap mans West St.

My biggest downfall is I’ve never bought a truly “used” guitar. I’m not sure I can bring myself to do it.

Last edited:
Cool Santana but that color ahhhhhhhhh.

So what I have now:

1997 CE-22 Goldtop with birds, my first real guitar...when eBay was new. Got it brand new for let’s just say very cheap.

2010 Starla LTD, might sell, bought new pickups are idk a little too harsh.

2014 CU24 10 Tort, got “NOS” in 2017, another great deal.

Long story have a 2012 408 MT my father has it now it may get sold or he may keep it. Did not love that guitar, waited 4-6 months for it too. “Dirt Birds” what a letdown.

I have a lead on one of those Santana SE standard all mahogany, seems like a cheap mans West St.

My biggest downfall is I’ve never bought a truly “used” guitar. I’m not sure I can bring myself to do it.

I only linked to a sold blue one because you were talkin’ about an SA, and the most photographed one is blue, there’s a pile of other colors.

Used PRS are generally in excellent shape, people are afraid of scratching them, so I wouldn’t worry.

I own one of those SE Santana Standards.... it’s alright, but it’s a different experience than a West Street.

I only linked to a sold blue one because you were talkin’ about an SA, and the most photographed one is blue, there’s a pile of other colors.

Used PRS are generally in excellent shape, people are afraid of scratching them, so I wouldn’t worry.

I own one of those SE Santana Standards.... it’s alright, but it’s a different experience than a West Street.

I understand now lol.

So for $500 new is it worth it? It seems to fill the void by being all mahogany and having a cool shape and being very light weight....it’s sort of like my Core Starla just more.... old PRS....maybe it’s redundant?

I probably won’t drop $5000-8000 on a PS anytime soon. And most seem to help 10-13k.

I’m looking cheap thrill since private stock never seems to dip below about 7k on the “clearance” market, and you get whatever is already built.

Maybe I’ll wait and hope they bring a a new Core Santana style guitar out soon?

Last edited:
PM me for a link I can’t share here. ;)

I find that the ones that don’t sell quickly don’t appeal to me, the same goes for the vast majority of used PS guitars on Reverb/etc. Those tend to look too close to what I could find in a Core/Wood Library that I’m not keen spending twice as much.

But if you do find one that’s been sitting for a while and appeals to you you can certainly minimize cost with haggling.
Sometimes though they sit in the store because the dealer wants to sell around MAP or higher, which is fine. Respect that as those instruments take time to spec, often with travel to the factory involved, and are an investment for the store.

I understand now lol.

So for $500 new is it worth it? It seems to fill the void by being all mahogany and having a cool shape and being very light weight....it’s sort of like my Core Starla just more.... old PRS....maybe it’s redundant?

I probably won’t drop $5000-8000 on a PS anytime soon. And most seem to help 10-13k.

I’m looking cheap thrill since private stock never seems to dip below about 7k on the “clearance” market, and you get whatever is already built.

Maybe I’ll wait and hope they bring a a new Core Santana style guitar out soon?
I'll bet you could get this for $2k

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/P...us&source=4SOS0DRBA&cntry=us&source=4SOS0DRBA

This seems to be my "issue". My two dream PRS guitars are a KL-33 and a West St. "Standard". I look for them all the time. I've even gotten to the point that I've entertained the feasibility of doing PS builds. I think I'm just nervous about the pricing even through they appear, at least to me, to be very basic guitars. LOVE the original / Santana body shape!

Yea that is the issue, they’re essentially $2300-3700 guitars but they’re just not “around” right now in a new production form.

I do love PRS but when i got a 2018 but BRAND NEW 1958 Les Paul reissue last year for $3200 ish it makes me wonder, oh and yes the Les Paul has actually had some minor (pickup/warranty) issues but also it “feels” like a 5-7k guitar.

I would have paid up to $4250 for that Les Paul if I had not lucked onto a deal.

Back