Please Suggest Things to See and Do in Nashville!

A tour is a great idea. I always take a tour when I go to a new city. I also advise you to take a train ride through the country to better view your surroundings. For me, the train ride in Germany dbauskunft.com was very cool; I captured the scenery outside the window and enjoyed nature. By the way, you should plan your trip in advance and book tours to see all the most famous sights. And I recommend you take a tour of the ice cream factory in Nashville. And another place in Nashville worth going to. It's the Magic World theme park.

Last edited:
Curious as to how your trip went. Never been to Nashville either, but it's on the must do list for sure. My neighbor goes often so he's already given me a list of must sees already. We saw Eric live in Edmonton back in the late 90's, and it was a fabulous night. Not the same as Nashville by any means but still, it was Eric live.

thanks for asking. It was such a fun trip. Nashville, it seems, is a city made for nothing but having fun, especially for the guitar player. We, of course, went to the downtown area and spent a lot of time there. We would walk in a bar/restaurant and there would be a band playing. It would be a really good band and without fail the guitar player would be awesome. We would spend some time listening to the band and then head down the street a few doors to the next bar. And Exactly The Same Thing! Great Band. Awesome Guitar Player.

And, of course, one would think, "a couple great guitar players!" But it is the same thing in every location. Every guitar player I saw in Nashville is hugely talented. Fun and depressing. Unfortunately I came to the realization of how far I have to go. (And the realization I'll probably never get there!) But that's ok. I just play for fun. Someone had told me about this fact. I think it was Corey Congilio, an instructor at TrueFire, told me about how every guitar player one sees in Nashville it that good. It's true.

Speaking of learning, I started my learning with the Gibson Learn and Master Guitar DVD course. Its instructor is Steve Krenz who lives in Nashville. While there, I took a face to face lesson with him and we have set up some Zoom lessons to follow up. So that was fun and helpful.

And we hit a lot of the predictable tourist spots, Ryman, Country Music HOF, etc. etc. And we had to hit the famous Guitar stores: Gruhn's, Carter Vintage, Rumble Seat. I have to report that my guitar shopping yielded a new guitar but not a PRS! :mad: Driving the hours drive from Omaha to Nashville I thought a lot about it and came to the conclusion what is missing is the Tele sound. I found a Tele at Gruhn guitars that I really liked but delayed on it too much. It was an American Professional and it played great. I played it the first day we went to Gruhns, went back a second day, and decided to buy it as we headed out of town. I went there and it was gone! We went to Rumble Seat and he had a nice, cheaper one, and I settled on it.

The Clapton concert was, I think without exaggeration, the greatest musical experience of my life. As we walked out I looked at my wife and said, "Well. I can die now". She just answered, "Yep". We discussed it a lot before buying the tickets. The expense, both financial and time driving, etc. We are both glad we made the decision we did. But then you need to consider our dog is named Clapton. We may have been somewhat predisposed to a great review! ;)

@Daryl Jones keep Nashville on your "must do list". I don't think you will regret it. In retirement we are trying to budget our trips and considering places we haven't seen. We are seriously thinking about revisiting Nashville before visiting a new place. That's how much we enjoyed it. I really could go on. But you need to do it.

Clapton 5x7.jpg

clapton 5x7.jp

At least you are close enough to drive. We'd likely have to fly, not a bad thing since I'd break the darn bank in those shops if we made an extended drive LOL. Could always make it a bike trip, but then couldn't buy and carry a guitar on the Wing either so. Yeah I know, just have it shipped!
Eric is one of those shows that feels like you stepped into a movie...not a theater, but right "into" the movie itself. I felt the same way when we first saw the Eagles back in '78, a totally out of this world experience. Real, everyday people just didn't get to do stuff like that... but then, I didn't know very many "actual" guitar players back then either. The guys on the airwaves and tapes were like some type of music God or something. I played a piano, but sure as H.E. double hockey sticks wasn't no Elton John.

Back