Please Suggest Things to See and Do in Nashville!

matonanjin

In two weeks we will leaving to attend the concert of one of my all time favorite guitar heroes, Eric Clapton! We'll be going to his show in Nashville on September 21. So check mark next to one item on the bucket list!

Since it is a significant investment, especially timewise, we are going to make it at least a weeklong trip. It's a 12 hour drive to get to Nashville (from home in Omaha).

We're going to go through "horse country" in Kentucky on the way there.. We are going make a possible little "swing" south on the way home to spend a day in Memphis. We want to try and see Beale Street, Sun Studios, WDIA if it's still there.

But for the remaining days we are going to have in Nashville my wife and I would appreciate any suggestions for what you consider "must see" locations in Nashville. (Of course, I already have carved out time, to my wife's chagrin, for Nashville guitar stores! Gruhn at the top of the list.)

Restaurants, clubs, recording studios, famous musical landmarks. Nothing is off limit. The only possible issue on anything is I am limited in the distance I can walk. But I'll sort that out. Suggest away!
smiley-cool.gif

Please suggest anything you think we might find interesting in Nashville. Thank you.

You have to have hot chicken.

400 degrees, Slow Burn, Bolton's, or Prince's.

Skip Hattie B's and party fowl even though they're close to Gruhns and Carter Vintage and Rumble Seat.

You'll probably see Broadway. It's still borderline sensory overload.

Artisan Guitars is up towards downtown now and they usually have some interesting stuff.

If you have time and want to walk, there are remnants of studios on Music Row. Oceanway used to do tours but I don't know what that looks like with the current "situation."

Seems like all the musicians doing the "old Broadway" thing playing in town on the down-low are at Belcourt Taps or sometimes hang out at Rudy's.

I used to play at Wildhorse on 2nd. It's cool because it's huge and far enough off Broadway to not be completely crazy. Same for BB King's.

There's a replica Parthenon that's neat if you're into that.

To eat: Puckett's in Franklin, local talent playing music. Puckett's in Nashville for more major talent (eg Steve Winwood playing today).

Music: Literally any bar on Broadway at almost any time of day until closing. Up and coming musicians waiting to be discovered will totally amaze you with their talent. As the Lovin' Spoonful said, "... they can pick more notes than the number of ants on a Tennessee ant hill."

To see: Blackbird Studio owned by John & Martina McBride. We took a tour with another couple a few years back. A true world-class recording studio. Brad Paisley was recording there at the time - he wasn't there when we toured, but his paisley Tele was. The couple we were with called in advance, and kind of BS'd them. Yes, he plays guitar in a band, and yes he did record once (a LONG time ago) but, it got us in. If you do get a tour, have them play a song in the room with the special acoustic treatment. Thousands of pieces of wood of varying length protruding out of the walls and ceiling and at least 20 speakers surrounding you. I had them play PF's "Time."

If you're into sports, maybe catch a Titan's game if they're at home while you're there. Also, ride one of the mobile bars that pedal up and down the streets.

Pinewood Social serves a mean breakfast, and is located in a cool spot by the river. It’s not your typical Nashville honky-tonk kinda place, but very worth going to.

Last time I was there, I (regrettably) didn’t go to Gruhn’s, did go to Carter’s. Plan on spending some time running the racks there if you’re doing any serious shopping. You’ll nary see as many guitars in one shop, they’re basically arranged by brand/model and packed right in like clothing on a clearance rack. You might have to blow some dust off to try something, but with that many guitars around, you never know what you might find. Lots of funky old amps, too.

That being said, I hear Gruhn’s is the place for top-shelf stuff, generally speaking. Gotta get back there!

Aaaaah, Nashville. Awesome town...Enjoy...Biscuit Love for Breakfast...near/in the newer area...called the gulch, I think.
Gruhn, YES!!!!!!, And definitely hit Carter Vintage Guitars...I had a couple great conversations with the nice folks in there.
And Broadway is pretty much the main drag...Enjoy!

Side note: Not to be a downer, but keep personal items close in Memphis...its has gone downhill a bit recently, I hear.

I'll second the Parthenon. Its pretty amazing they could build something like that, and then build a replica in Nashville of all of places! :)

Opryland was cool, not sure if there is anything left. The Ryman Auditorium is a neat place.

Have fun, send pics!

Clapton is a great performer, you're in for a real treat. I saw him in Cream, and on other occasions many years later as a solo artist.

I'm not a fan of certain things he says and does, but it's hard to argue with his musicianship and songwriting abilities.

In addition to Gruhn's and Broadway, there are lots of nice places in Franklin to grab a bite. I don't remember any of their names, however. :)

Clapton is a great performer, you're in for a real treat. I saw him in Cream, and on other occasions many years later as a solo artist.

I'm not a fan of certain things he says and does, but it's hard to argue with his musicianship and songwriting abilities.

In addition to Gruhn's and Broadway, there are lots of nice places in Franklin to grab a bite. I don't remember any of their names, however. :)

I live in Franklin. Pucket's is good but Meridee's is better. The Mercantile is excellent as well. Kilwin's ice cream is phenomenal and Mccreary's Pub is decent. Cool springs which is still "Franklin-ish" has had a surge of tech jobs so we have a huge variety of new peoples cultures mixed in with the "old money southern." Wild times for sure but much quieter than Nashville.

Back