Picky, picky..

OK I can't get enough of these guys for some reason, I can see why some people will hate it/think it's boring rubbish but I really dig the groove/polyrhythms/light and shade/general musicianship. Hard to show you what these guys do with one (long) track but this is a decent example:

Damn, that's some "out there sh!t" in a thread about some 90's rocker that's lookin' for something new to listen to. I thought I was outta line tryin' to recommend Refused or Quicksand. :rolleyes:

I second a lot of the recommendations.

Some lower-on-the-radar stuff I'm listening to you might like that's a bit proggy but very grooving:
  • Skyharbor
  • Chimp Spanner
  • TesseracT
  • Delain

OK I can't get enough of these guys for some reason, I can see why some people will hate it/think it's boring rubbish but I really dig the groove/polyrhythms/light and shade/general musicianship. Hard to show you what these guys do with one (long) track but this is a decent example:

QUOTE="vchizzle, post: 244392, member: 1098"]If we we could only get them to tour here:(

You could always come to Aus ;)[/QUOTE]
I dug that vid. I like weird rhythmic stuff, and most anything with a badass bass player. I'd love to visit Australia! And would totally plan it around one of their shows. Haha. I may be short on cash for that sorta trip

Damn, that's some "out there sh!t" in a thread about some 90's rocker that's lookin' for something new to listen to. I thought I was outta line tryin' to recommend Refused or Quicksand. :rolleyes:
Oh, I can dig some quicksand- I mean, there's a Sergio in the band! What's not to like?? I was pretty into Helmet in the 90's. It's been awhile- I should go back to review.

well, just to get everyone pissed at me.
Vaughn is one of the "good guys" on the forum ... class act.

I'm going to suggest going back to the basics.

The best version of this classic that I've ever heard.
lead guy plays a nice green PRS SC of some kind.
this rocks.

another one, check out Springsteen ... looks exactly like Robert DeNiro.

berryism's

got lots more, but I'm tryin' to be sedated.

Last edited:
Go backwards and find out what bands influenced the bands you already like.

That's a winner of an idea right there. Do that and maybe try branching out a bit from there? I look at it like an adventure. There's so much music out there, it's impossible to hear it all. The new streaming services are great for exploration. You can try a radio station and if you hear tunes you like, go off and check out the band's album. I've found some good stuff that way.

Maybe more in the vein of vchizzle's regular taste, I'll present The Butterfly Effect. I got turned on to these guys when I was living in Australia (they're from Brisbane). They never did break in the US, but had some good success in Oz. They've already split up, but they released an EP and three great LPs. Excellent musicianship and vocals. Plus the guitarist played PRS off and on. ;) I got totally hooked on their album Final Conversation of Kings.

Second album:

First album:

Some lower-on-the-radar stuff I'm listening to you might like that's a bit proggy but very grooving:
  • Skyharbor
  • Chimp Spanner
  • TesseracT
  • Delain
Yeah, these are the bands I've been dabbling around in iTune's music. Just haven't been sucked in yet. Ran across another one called Disperse.

I'd offer some suggestions but I'm not sure they'd meet vchizzles criteria of high production values or non-crazy-lunitanical-screaming vocalists.
High production is a fine line. I like good production but not overly polished, piles of sampling, fake sounding. Production that's still organic and real sounding. Check out the band Islander, they're a nice combo of produced but with "edge". I think they have some style that you could appreciate. They're another band that ticks most boxes for me. They just don't have a ton of material. I'm ok with some maniacal screaming...just prefer it in doses rather than constant.

That's a winner of an idea right there. Do that and maybe try branching out a bit from there? I look at it like an adventure. There's so much music out there, it's impossible to hear it all. The new streaming services are great for exploration. You can try a radio station and if you hear tunes you like, go off and check out the band's album. I've found some good stuff that way.

Maybe more in the vein of vchizzle's regular taste, I'll present The Butterfly Effect. I got turned on to these guys when I was living in Australia (they're from Brisbane). They never did break in the US, but had some good success in Oz. They've already split up, but they released an EP and three great LPs. Excellent musicianship and vocals. Plus the guitarist played PRS off and on. ;) I got totally hooked on their album Final Conversation of Kings.

Second album:

First album:
These guys are the closest I've found. I've listened to them a decent amount in the last month.

Man, what a putz I am - I should have come up with the Aristocrats. I love those guys - I've gotten to know Bryan Beller a bit over the years, awesome dude.

So, related to them - Beller's got a couple solo albums out. Marco Minnemann has several as well - he's one of those freakishly prolific dudes. Plays all the instruments on his solo albums, at least the ones I recall. Some out-there stuff on those.

Marco and Guthrie Govan have been on the last couple Steven Wilson albums - he used to be in Porcupine Tree. Way more to the prog side than the hard rock side, but his stuff is fantastic. "Hand. Cannot. Erase." was pretty much my album of the year for 2015, and the show live was unreal.

Branching off from Beller again, he and Marco are on the new Satriani album, but I'm sure you know Satch. The fourth guy in the band is a guy Beller has played with for years, Mike Keneally. Another one of those unbelievably versatile musicians. He and Beller are in the touring version of Dethklok. Mike's solo (and band) stuff doesn't really trend into the metal pool, but he covers a ton of stylistic ground. Another guy I've gotten to know over the years, and one of those guys who just makes me shake my head when I see him play. He's played with Zappa (where I first encountered him), Vai, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, Chickenfoot (on keyboards - he started as an organist), Lyle Workman and others. Best of all, he's got a streaming site, http://www.radiokeneally.com, where you can hear pretty much all his stuff, including unreleased stuff.

I'll mention John 5 as well, although I'm guessing you've heard of him. Another guy who can be all over the board style-wise (he used to be in kd lang's band, and was later with Marilyn Manson before his current gig with Rob Zombie). In a similar vein, but a little more out-there, is Mattias IA Eklundh - he has solo stuff and stuff with his band, Freak Kitchen.

I should add, if you really want to go down that rabbit hole, and find some of the best rock (and other) music ever, start looking at Frank Zappa's stuff on YouTube. You have been warned :).

I love the Zappa Plays Zappa DVD, musicianship on par with "the real" stuff but audio quality is much better.

Pound for a Brown is awesome, as is Trouble Every Day for some mental guitar action from Vai and Dweezil...

Listen to these three. If after listening to these three, you aren't absolutely blown away in love with this band, then I have nothing further to contribute. LOL

Actually, I would like to hear what some of you think of them. As I said, I think they are phenomenal and the best band I've discovered in years and years.

Thank you everybody for replying to this thread. I have similar taste in music to the OP, and I've been listening to some of the suggestions. Just discovered The Butterfly Effect, and love them!!

Kevin

Listen to these three. If after listening to these three, you aren't absolutely blown away in love with this band, then I have nothing further to contribute. LOL

Actually, I would like to hear what some of you think of them. As I said, I think they are phenomenal and the best band I've discovered in years and years.
Supremely talented band. My issue with a lot of prog in the heavy rock/metal genre is it's generally rooted in an "80's style". While I appreciate and see the obvious talent- it's just not my thing. That's why I tend to lean towards bands that are rock/metal that have prog tendencies or slight influence. I like manipulation of riffs, timing and rhythm...some off time stuff.

• Skyharbor
  • Chimp Spanner
  • TesseracT
  • Delain

Love Tesseract and Skyharbor!
I've seen Tesseract twice. Amazing sound live.

Thank you everybody for replying to this thread. I have similar taste in music to the OP, and I've been listening to some of the suggestions. Just discovered The Butterfly Effect, and love them!!

Kevin

They're a band I wish everyone would hear and love as much as I do.

For anyone who wants to dive into the world of Zappa, I can recommend starting where I did: buy Strictly Commercial and branch out from there. For the songs I liked best on that compilation, I would then go buy the albums they came from. I would be glad to assist your transition in to Zappa-dom. I have 80 or so of his releases between official and bootleg. His catalog is incredibly far ranging.

Back