Picky, picky..

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
So recently I've been having this issue trying to find new music to listen to. I want new music but just can't get into anything. I find things I don't like with just about everything and then don't want to listen. I feel like it's been forever since I've found a new band that I truly love. I feel old. I feel like that super high maintenance girl who finds all the negative things and just can't deal!

What are your current favorites Vaughn?
Karnivool, Tool
I like some less complex bands influenced by them like Chevelle.
I pull up "similar" artists and I find them too prog or dislike the singer or hate the mix or overall production on the albums.

Otherwise I live in the 90's a lot...AIC, STP, Soundgarden.

I read an article about a year ago that said most people stop listening to new music by age 31. I'm past that by 50%. At just about the same time, I was channel surfing on an overnight, and stumbled across an Avenged Sevenfold concert. They're sort of new metal, if you aren't familiar. I thought they were awesome. I've since bought 4 of their albums. Cool band.

Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Strapping Young Lad/Devin Townsend, Into Eternity (may be too heavy), Anathema. Let me know if I'm in the right area.

Karnivool, Tool
I like some less complex bands influenced by them like Chevelle.
I pull up "similar" artists and I find them too prog or dislike the singer or hate the mix or overall production on the albums.

Otherwise I live in the 90's a lot...AIC, STP, Soundgarden.

Same here, I started playing guitar when I was 12 and this was the age that I really started to identify with music. That was in 1994 - the height of 90's grunge rock. It's in this era that most of my playlist exists.
I just discovered Karnivool recently and am digging them a lot.

I don't know if you listen to any of these, but I'll toss 'em out there anyway. None are really all that new, but it's all new if you've never listened to it.

On the heavier side, Trivium, Tremonti, Ghost. On the lighter, but still grooving and rocking side, Vintage Trouble.

I read an article about a year ago that said most people stop listening to new music by age 31. I'm past that by 50%. At just about the same time, I was channel surfing on an overnight, and stumbled across an Avenged Sevenfold concert. They're sort of new metal, if you aren't familiar. I thought they were awesome. I've since bought 4 of their albums. Cool band.
I have their newest album, very good.
Go on YouTube and look for them at 2014 Download concert, very good.

This is how I discovered I like Catherine Wheel. Unfortunately, by the time I discovered their music, the band had already broken up. LOL
At least you discovered them. Half the bands I listen to have broken up. Then again, so have all the bands I've played in. It doesn't change their body of work.

Pretty much all of the bands listed in the thread so far, I've heard. Some of them I like, many of them I've bought some of their music. Problem is that I want to find things that I really want to listen to. Where I want to dig in hear more...put it into regular rotation. Look forward to the next album. Last 2 bands I felt that way about were Karnivool and The Aristocrats.

Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Strapping Young Lad/Devin Townsend, Into Eternity (may be too heavy), Anathema. Let me know if I'm in the right area.
I'll check out the last 2- thx!
Can I suggest something that doesn't have guitars?
Sure!
Same here, I started playing guitar when I was 12 and this was the age that I really started to identify with music. That was in 1994 - the height of 90's grunge rock. It's in this era that most of my playlist exists.
I just discovered Karnivool recently and am digging them a lot.
If we we could only get them to tour here:(
Go backwards and find out what bands influenced the bands you already like.
maybe it's time to do some research

This is how I discovered I like Catherine Wheel. Unfortunately, by the time I discovered their music, the band had already broken up. LOL
Me too, great band!

Subscribe to YouTube channels like Nuclear Blast Records, Napalm Records and so on.

If I see an interesting name or video I watch it and follow suggested videos.

OK I can't get enough of these guys for some reason, I can see why some people will hate it/think it's boring rubbish but I really dig the groove/polyrhythms/light and shade/general musicianship. Hard to show you what these guys do with one (long) track but this is a decent example:

QUOTE="vchizzle, post: 244392, member: 1098"]If we we could only get them to tour here:([/QUOTE]

You could always come to Aus ;)

If you are into Prog, Circus Maximus is the best band I've discovered in YEARS! I mean, literally since Dream Theater, and that was over 20 years ago.

Prog, not as heavy as DT can be, better vocals and more melodic, yet extremely high level musicianship. I discovered them a year ago, but all three of their CDs and have had them in heavy rotation since. Just a phenomenal band!

When you do find something you like such a pleasure. In recent years that has included for me, the decemberists, Krause and plant, daft punk, Larry Carlton and robbed forde live in Paris, one of the sonnylandreth records

Back