Picky, picky..

Here's a couple albums from the 90's that you might not have heard.

On the same tip as TFC: Here's some more bangers from the 90's

This whole album is great. Lot's of riffs to bite and probably the last record that made me wanna mosh. (crazy vocals though...)

More crazy vocals but killer riffs from the hardest Krishna's in the world

And just because they came up in a different thread:

Not from the 90's and everybody knows DK, especially this song, but damn... They're the only punk band that gets better the older I get.

I should add, if you really want to go down that rabbit hole, and find some of the best rock (and other) music ever, start looking at Frank Zappa's stuff on YouTube. You have been warned :).

I love the Zappa Plays Zappa DVD, musicianship on par with "the real" stuff but audio quality is much better.

Pound for a Brown is awesome, as is Trouble Every Day for some mental guitar action from Vai and Dweezil...

They're a band I wish everyone would hear and love as much as I do.

For anyone who wants to dive into the world of Zappa, I can recommend starting where I did: buy Strictly Commercial and branch out from there. For the songs I liked best on that compilation, I would then go buy the albums they came from. I would be glad to assist your transition in to Zappa-dom. I have 80 or so of his releases between official and bootleg. His catalog is incredibly far ranging.

More Zappa fans! Cool!!!!

When ZPZ played at Experience, I felt that was their peak. The music was good - and it's been good every time I've seen them - but that was the one time I saw them that the performance was there. They seemed very comfortable with the music, they were having fun with it, and it felt like a band. By contrast, the CD/DVD from the first tour felt very stiff to me, as did the tour I saw with Ray White. Unfortunately, when I saw them again after Experience, it was back to the stiff performance. One thing that has always bugged me about ZPZ is the Zappa Family Trust's insistence that ZPZ is the only band that plays Frank's music "right". For my money, Project/Object always felt like a better experience, and somewhat truer to the spirit of the music, if not exacting in the notage.

The Strictly Commercial recommendation is a good one - I'd also recommend the Cheepnis CDs if they're still available. I don't know that they are.

There's a new Steven Wilson record out today.

Problem solved.

Yes - and it's sitting next to me. Just waiting...

I'm starting to think the best way to find someone new is to just wander around SxSW, or Toronto's NxNE.
That very well may be, I'd like to hit up either of them sometime. Not to knock anything in the thread, because there's great suggestions. But I do a fair amount of digging for new stuff and have heard 95% of the suggestions. I'm not by any means telling people to stop, in fact keep suggesting! Even if I've heard it, the thread has been beneficial and turned some folks on to new music. So it's a win no matter what!

That very well may be, I'd like to hit up either of them sometime. Not to knock anything in the thread, because there's great suggestions. But I do a fair amount of digging for new stuff and have heard 95% of the suggestions. I'm not by any means telling people to stop, in fact keep suggesting! Even if I've heard it, the thread has been beneficial and turned some folks on to new music. So it's a win no matter what!

Well, this might be avoided if you'd just list everything you've listened to!

This is honestly my favorite album released in 2015. If you're into hard rock, grunge, alt-metal style this should do you well :)

Yep. Can't go wrong with those guys. Still enjoying this record, and looking forward to more!!

Feeling shame that I didn't post that one, but I think Vaughn was one of the guys who alerted me about them.

A lot of good music here. I like your music taste OP.

My album suggestions is:
Caligula's Horse - Bloom Vocals can remind me of Karnivool at times. It's melodic groovy and beautiful, but also heavy at times.

Shining - Blackjazz a great and original band. I honestly don't know any band that sounds like them.

Ihsahn - Eremita. Ihsahn was the frontman of Emperor, but has moved over to the progressive side of music with his solo project.

Leprous - Bilateral and The Congregation. Another band that I think is very original. Has their own distinct sound. Could need a few runs before it sinks in, but when it does.. Prepare for awesome music. ;) This applies to most of these band really..

Borknagar - Urd. With a base in blackmetal they can be quite heavy at times, but they have a cool progressive twist to a lot of the never albums. And good clean vocals!! New album came out on friday/Saturday, haven't heard it yet, so can't recommend it :D

Solstafir - svartir sandar. This is really good. Started as blackmetal, but ended up as something completely else..(not blackmetal anymore) Worth a try!!

Susanne Sundfør - The silicone veil. Not gonna say much about her. She has the most wonderful female vocals I know, and with her catchy, but dark, jazz inspired pop... Just try it.

I'm gonna stop now, haha.
A lot of music here, hope you check some of them out! Please tell me if you happen to enjoy any of them. As I said earlier, a lot of these albums need some runs in the player before they sink in. Very complex a lot of this. :) Enjoy!

You could do what I did about 3 years ago Vaughan when I "discovered" Black Country Communion and just go all Bonamassa all the time for about 6 months. That was actually pretty fun and I didn't have to think about it too much.

As an old man now, I like the Discover section on Spotify. I have found countless new and obscure bands that I am truly enjoying. And, I can't wait to hear more from them. I don't know that my tastes mirror Vaughn's. Nevertheless, this has restimulated my thirst for new music.

These days I get a lot of my new music from my daughter. She's been immersed in the artistic community for quite a while now and somewhat surprisingly the visual arts types and the music gang get along very well - so I get to listen to a lot of demos and 1st 'albums'.

Like Saint Asonia a lot. I know Corey and can't wait for them to come back through here.
Big Wreck is awesome.
King's X as well, I tend to lean to the 90's albums(surprise!)
Rival Sons is really cool, I dig their sound a lot. When I hear them, I get that same feeling the first time I heard Cry Of Love(the band), which is a positive thing.
BCC is cool, I prefer the Hughes vocals. I think JB is a killer guitar player, his vocals seem too polite to me at times. Sometimes I just want him to bring it and it feels restrained to me.

I'll add something here. Kind of a mid tier band that some may not have heard.

Back