Pickups comparable to 57/08

P

PRS.Lujan

Looking to replace the pickups in my sc245. Today I played a PRS Al Di Meola and the 57/08 pickups sounded great!! I would like to find some comparable pickups that sound like the 57/08 or pickups that suite my playing style. I play clean all the time very rarely use overdrive. Jazzy bluesy style playing.John Mayer style.

I think that he's asking for a replacement as they are so overpriced on the 2nd hand market
I'd suggest BKP Mules

I've seen 57/08 going as high as 300-350€/set in Europe on 2nd hand market, without box and stuff
Different story with 59/09, as they are roughly 170€ each but new and boxed

Well things are only worth what people are willing to pay for them...

For 350€ = 475USD you can have a brand new set installed by the PTC (excluding shipping).

If he lives in the US it makes sense. Otherwise, is not reccomended

i'd go with bare knuckle too.
in order of output - all great pups - for me the nailbomb alnico5 is hard to beat.
mule - abraxas - nailbomb

Save some money and go with the tried and true blue chip PAF pickups.... Duncan 59's or Dimarzio 36th anniversary PAFS. I don't get the boutique pickup thing. Some of the best music in history was recorded with pickups you can get now for 60 or $70 apiece. 57/08 pickups are great, don't get me wrong...but when I AB them with my JB/Jazz set, there really isn't a whole lot of sonic difference.... and dare I say, I think the JB is a bit warmer than the 57/08.

Hey thanks guys for all the suggestions. I'm curious have any of you a/b the SC245 pickups with any of the suggestions you've made? Would it really be worth getting other pickups?? Will there be that much of a difference between the sc245 and the suggestions you made giving they all are built around an original PAF pickup?

Hey thanks guys for all the suggestions. I'm curious have any of you a/b the SC245 pickups with any of the suggestions you've made? Would it really be worth getting other pickups?? Will there be that much of a difference between the sc245 and the suggestions you made giving they all are built around an original PAF pickup?

To be honest, anything you throw in as a replacement is going to be a noticeable upgrade over the 245's. Not to be the PRS pickup basher but there is a reason you don't see those used as stock in Core PRS guitars. They were awful. My old KL33 had those and the ice-pickyness was pretty unbearable.

I've been using GFS Classic II Alnico 2 pickups in my Hollowbody II. I A/B'd them against 57/08s in the same guitar. The 57/08s were slightly more full with more output, but not by a hell of a lot. The PRS 57/08s were better, but not by enough to justify the price difference.

I have a Hamer Artist Semi-Hollow with OE Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers (Alnico IIs as well Sage) and the guitar sounds and feels amazing, very alive. The tone is different than the 57/08s (although so are the 2 guitars I have them in) but I would say the open-ness and clarity are indeed comparable.

Probably going to throw a set in my SE ZM as I think they might complement that guitar very well. I do have a moderate concern b/c the Seth Lovers are unpotted, and that might spell doom with a semi-hollow...won't know until I try.

I found the SE pickups were upgraded quite a bit by swapping in a roughcast unoriented Alnico 5 magnet. $5 and 15 minutes, no soldering.

I've swapped the pickups in two out of my three SEs -- my Bernie Marsden has a Tonerider Alnico 4 Classic in the neck and a Wolfetone Marshallhead Mk II in the bridge, and one of my Cu24-7s has Bare Knuckles Emeralds in it. FWIW, my tech compared the Emeralds favorably to 57/08s, and he loves 57/08s.

The 245s are nice pickups just a bit hotter that old PAFs
I had great luck lowering them a bit and they work great :)
Get the screwdriver out.

To be honest, anything you throw in as a replacement is going to be a noticeable upgrade over the 245's. Not to be the PRS pickup basher but there is a reason you don't see those used as stock in Core PRS guitars. They were awful. My old KL33 had those and the ice-pickyness was pretty unbearable.

Interesting. But may you please describe in detail how awful the 245 set is.
To me it feels OK for mid-rangy vintage tones but honestly I've never tried one myself.
Been wondering why 245 pups have not been equipped in any core PRS anymore since the arrival of 57/08 pups.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. But may you please describe in detail how awful the 245 set is.
To me it feels OK for mid-rangy vintage tones but honestly I've never tried one myself.
Been wondering why 245 pups have not been equipped in any core PRS anymore since the arrival of 57/08 pups.
They have been, technically, since SC245 pickups and Mira pickups are the same, only one has covers, and the other has a coil split wire. Same magnets, wire and turns. And frankly, I love the pickups in my Mira. Miras came with SC245/Mira pickups until 2013, when 57/08s debuted in 2008.

As for why they're not available any more, I would be willing to bet there's too much overlap. The specs are very similar to 59/09s, so why have both?

Back