Pickup Change Technical Advice

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by DuncanCE22, May 31, 2016.

1. DuncanCE22

DuncanCE22 New Member

So hopefully soon I will be ordering a set of the \m/ pickups to go in my CE22, and i just wanted to ask a bit of technical advice. I have looked at some of the wiring diagrams available and it seems to be a daily straight forward swap. the only thing I was wondering is, should I remove the original pickups from the 5 way rotary switch and solder the new ones on or shall I cut the wire of the original ones before it gets to the switch and then join the new pickups to the remaining wire, leaving the original solder on the switches? not sure what would be easiest? I have never changed pickups before but do have a bit of experience in wiring in car audio systems so I'm no stranger to using a soldering iron.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. John Beef

John Beef Opaque

I would go direct to the rotary. I have de-soldered and re-soldered several times to mine and it's really easy.

3. rugerpc

rugerpc A♥ hoards guitars ♥A Soldier 25, DFZ

Remove the old wires and solder for the following reasons:

Patching the wires would require soldering anyway (with spaghetti insulators) or those gel solderless connections (not enough room?)

Soldering the patch wires may transmit enough heat to the original solder joints to cause them to fail or become intermittent unless you use adequate heat sinks.

Patching the wires adds another point of impedance (the purist in me).

Cutting the leads on the original pups may make them too short to use in another guitar.

If you know how to solder, what are you afraid of?

Diverdan likes this.
  4. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

I agree with both ruger and John. De-solder from the point of connection. IMHO, better than cutting and splicing wires.

The Fight likes this.
  5. The Fight

The Fight Long Hair Demigod

6. Huggy B

Huggy B Whiizzz

*Always* resolder, if you're wary of messing up the wiring, simply work on each wire and pickup individually and you can't go wrong.
    WE BELIEVE IN YOU, FEAR NO GUITAR.

Diverdan, dogrocketp and wardog like this.
  7. toothace

toothace Zombie Thirteen, DFZ

^
    ^
    ^ What they said

8. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

I don't like shortening the original leads. It's irritating to have to add wire to a short lead on used pickups. There is no need for it. Just de-solder and re-solder.