Perusing around for a first tube amp!

My First Mesa amp lasted me 30 years and someone is still rocking it.
Look for a Mesa MK V any of the flavors the 25 and 35 have cab clone for headphone , recording etc. The 90 is well a 90 watt beast that can play at a whisper.
Look used they can be found close to your budget.
I am also fond of my PRS H 50 watts 2 channels and can be had in you budget.

26 years and still going!

The other guitarist in the band bought a Blackstar. A lot of amp for the money and they get you in the door of tube amps.

Last edited:
I really don't want like something really complicated, just an amp with some nice channels and stuff

Really can't go wrong with a Fender or Vox for the cleans. Just a matter of picking your preference on size/watt/features etc. Plus with either of these brands you'll always be able to sell them easily at a later date if so desired.

Have a look at the Orange Rocker 15. I’ve got the combo, but it comes in a head too. What I like about it is the versatility and an absolutely pristine clean channel. It’s solidly built, all tube, very portable, and covers the range from bedroom to small venue gigs better than any other small tube amp I’ve tried. It also comes in at about $800 MSRP, so it fits your theoretical budget. Most places will do $750 just for asking. Lots of vids on YT for it. Good luck :)

I will echo the previous sentiment of a Mesa Boogie Mark V head. I prefer the 35 watt version over the 25 watts, but either version is super versatile and will get you where you need to go. plus, they are super durable and played by professionals all over the world.

Really can't go wrong with a Fender or Vox for the cleans. Just a matter of picking your preference on size/watt/features etc. Plus with either of these brands you'll always be able to sell them easily at a later date if so desired.
I've played through the blues junior and the bass breaker but I haven't done a tweed yet, and I love the way the AC15 sounds. However, I want something that can do jazz but can also play djent and prog

Have a look at the Orange Rocker 15. I’ve got the combo, but it comes in a head too. What I like about it is the versatility and an absolutely pristine clean channel. It’s solidly built, all tube, very portable, and covers the range from bedroom to small venue gigs better than any other small tube amp I’ve tried. It also comes in at about $800 MSRP, so it fits your theoretical budget. Most places will do $750 just for asking. Lots of vids on YT for it. Good luck :)
I actually haven't looked into it but it looks quite nice for the price. I could also look at the jim root and the sabaton (I think thats what the guy uses) terror heads for 650. Orange in general seems very nice, the tone is fairly good, but the distortion is not what I am generally looking for in a tube amp. Think Mesa mark 5 or dual rec or a 6505. Orange amps generally don't tend to have as much "tightness" in their sound as one of these amps made for metal. And, if I wanted to just experiment with tubes, would you recommend the orange stomp pedal (amp in a pedal, has a 12ax7 I think or some other tube) or the tiny terror? Because I could just run those through my own orange crush 20 or get a cheap 1x12 used. Because this would be very practical for me because at the current stage of my amplification journey, I am not ready to ask my parents "Hey mom and dad! Could you please drop 800 dollars on an amp?" but I feel like one of these micro heads will get me in the realm and then I can truly decide what I want after that. And if I want my metal tones, I'm gonna do the tiny terror and get a reverb pedal for cleans and maybe an eq pedal as well.

I will echo the previous sentiment of a Mesa Boogie Mark V head. I prefer the 35 watt version over the 25 watts, but either version is super versatile and will get you where you need to go. plus, they are super durable and played by professionals all over the world.
Hmmmmm I don't have 1500-1900 dollars at the current moment, 1000 bones is my max limit. I am looking into the orange line of amps that are sub 1000 dollars. My considerations are the orange rocker 15, the jim root terror, the tiny terror (hybrid tube solid state amp) and the stomp pedal (amp in a pedal). I feel like my easiest step into the tube amp game is to go from cheapest and proceed cautiously with price. Because those tiny terror's sound incredible for under 200 bucks. Just slap an EQ and a reverb pedal in it and you will have a good time!

Any amp is better than no amp. Find a cheap used amp with a good clean sound, and add a used pedal or two to get you playing. You can do that at 1/2 the $1000 you’re thinking.

“Do it all” amps are infamous for doing nothing particularly well, especially in the low cost arena, so best to pick a style and an amp good for that style and “make do” in genres less important to you. Keep in mind that there’s a reason pro level amps are expensive, and stay reasonable in your expectations. You can take any one of the recommendations made here and be gigging by Friday. That’s what’s going to make you a good player. Get going!

Any amp is better than no amp. Find a cheap used amp with a good clean sound, and add a used pedal or two to get you playing. You can do that at 1/2 the $1000 you’re thinking.

“Do it all” amps are infamous for doing nothing particularly well, especially in the low cost arena, so best to pick a style and an amp good for that style and “make do” in genres less important to you. Keep in mind that there’s a reason pro level amps are expensive, and stay reasonable in your expectations. You can take any one of the recommendations made here and be gigging by Friday. That’s what’s going to make you a good player. Get going!
Well yea, tube amps have a lot of good sounds but cant do everything. Like I wont get the warm jazzy tones of a roland jazz chorus and then just flip a switch and get dual rec chugs. I think the best for me would be one of these: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...EuI5kZ088RAfXFcte0UaAkAVEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Because it's cheap, it has a tube in it, I could get a nice 1x12 and then get cracking! Because an orange 1x12 is 379 dollars, a lot cheaper for the head and cab of a combination like the MT15 and its matching cabinet. I think this is much more logical for me due to my skill level and my budget.

I've played through the blues junior and the bass breaker but I haven't done a tweed yet, and I love the way the AC15 sounds. However, I want something that can do jazz but can also play djent and prog

Close to what I play, my two main things are learning jazz or minus the bear. I have an AC15 with a blue back, I think it's the C1X.

Another thing not sure if you covered yet is will you be moving this amp around, taking it to and from places? I asked because I have a custom twin that I love but its like 85 pounds not exactly fun to move, so I usually take the vox.

Close to what I play, my two main things are learning jazz or minus the bear. I have an AC15 with a blue back, I think it's the C1X.

Another thing not sure if you covered yet is will you be moving this amp around, taking it to and from places? I asked because I have a custom twin that I love but its like 85 pounds not exactly fun to move, so I usually take the vox.
Well due to corona, and being a 15 year old who is not talented enough to play in front of a crowd, I don't have the situation or need for moving a tube amp around. I am genuinely considering getting a nice orange 1x12 and a tiny terror micro dark head thats like almost 200 bucks, so its gonna be a 500 dollar rig. That, or the orange stomp, which is an amp in a pedal. I've heard good reviews about that. So with this rig, I am going for versatility. The orange micro dark terror is essentially the same as the tiny terror, half solid state preamp, tube power amp section, 1 12ax7, 20 watts and the same price range. But the micro dark terror has more gain. It cleans up from what I've heard very well. I absolutely NEED reverb for a set up, because I am a huge John Mayer fan and I just need reverb. The orange sound to me is very unruly and disorganized when you think about it. Tomi Iommi for example, his tone with black sabbath was the orange rockerverb (I think) sound, no tightness, just full on destructive tones, that is why doom metal guitarists love orange amps, because they aren't very tight. Yet, I could slap an EQ pedal in the FX loop and then get more versatility in tone. I think this may be the rig I want.

There are so many really great amps available today tube/ss/hybrid, etc that it's really hard to choose just one. I know it's tough with our current environment but I would really recommend getting to a shop and playing a few to see what you really like. FWIW I've had more tube amps than I can remember but the only one that I currently own is a Egnater Tweaker 15. It really is pretty versatile tonewise and while it does lack reverb it does have a built in effects loop. These sell for $399 but of course it is just a head so you would still need some type of cab as well.

There are so many really great amps available today tube/ss/hybrid, etc that it's really hard to choose just one. I know it's tough with our current environment but I would really recommend getting to a shop and playing a few to see what you really like. FWIW I've had more tube amps than I can remember but the only one that I currently own is a Egnater Tweaker 15. It really is pretty versatile tonewise and while it does lack reverb it does have a built in effects loop. These sell for $399 but of course it is just a head so you would still need some type of cab as well.
Well today, I am considering going with the hybrid amps of orange because of how amazing they are, tonally and visually speaking. For something that is smaller than a wah pedal and can sound very good, why not?? I am thinking an orange 1x12 and the micro dark terror and together thats about 500 dollars, which is well in my budget.

If you're all about having a real tube amp power section, check out the L6 DT25 (DT50). It's like 4 amps in one with the power section physically configuring itself to the real amp. Or I've heard good things about the Boss Katana series, especially for the money.

A Pod GO and Headrush FRFR would be comfortable for your parents to buy and great for you. You could explore most any amp type/pedal/tone you wanted, and learn what you actually like.

If you're all about having a real tube amp power section, check out the L6 DT25 (DT50). It's like 4 amps in one with the power section physically configuring itself to the real amp. Or I've heard good things about the Boss Katana series, especially for the money.
The boss katana line is decent, just sounds very processed. But the orange micro dark terror sounds pretty appealing, and I can get a 1x12 and the amp and a reverb and eq pedal for about 600 dollars

A Pod GO and Headrush FRFR would be comfortable for your parents to buy and great for you. You could explore most any amp type/pedal/tone you wanted, and learn what you actually like.
I'm now considering the orange micro dark terror and an orange 1x12 for about 500 bucks.

Remember the used market. Just picked up a used Mesa Rectoverb 25 in almost mint condition for under $900.

I have been very happy with a Mesa F-50 I bought used for $500.00, or try looking for a Marshall DSL 40, it can be set for 1/2 power. Good luck with what ever you buy

Go here - https://chrisguitars.com
Buy this - $699
mesaboogie-rectoverb50-combo.jpg

Be happy!

(No affiliation at all. Just trying to help!)

Back