Paul's Core TCI Pickups vs 85/15

rwandering

Not a new member
Apologies, I feel like this (or something close) was answered in the last six months, but I can't find it.

I have a 2022 Paul's Core which I love. I'm thinking my next guitar will have a trem, and I'm thinking of a new Custom 24-08. I plan to go and check one out, but I'm wondering on people's thoughts (and facts) about how the Paul's TCI compare to new 85/15's.

I think I recall someone saying they are similar pickups -- but I may be just making that part up. I'm not necessarily looking for a new sound; the Paul's is pretty versatile and sounds great.

Apologies, I feel like this (or something close) was answered in the last six months, but I can't find it.

I have a 2022 Paul's Core which I love. I'm thinking my next guitar will have a trem, and I'm thinking of a new Custom 24-08. I plan to go and check one out, but I'm wondering on people's thoughts (and facts) about how the Paul's TCI compare to new 85/15's.

I think I recall someone saying they are similar pickups -- but I may be just making that part up. I'm not necessarily looking for a new sound; the Paul's is pretty versatile and sounds great.
Funny, I was checking out a 24–08 over the weekend at music store near me thinking it would be my next model for the reason that I love the two mini toggle set up of the Paul’s. I really love the 408 TCI pups and I especially love the single coil tones from them. The 85-15s are hotter pickups and I think could be better for higher gain playing and the single coil tones were not as good as the 408 TCI pups. For me I wasn’t getting anything exciting with a 24–08. I own a Modern Eagle V and if you like the tones of a Paul’s guitar with 408 TCI pups and you want a tremolo look into one. The MEV is like a Paul’s guitar on steroids.

Thanks for the quick answers.

All things being equal, it is probably better that they are distinct from the Paul's. I'm not planning to buy every variation of bridge/pickup combination, but do like having a greater surface area to play with.

Watch this - Paul demonstrates each model and their 'idea' of where each 'sits' and what they were designed to do...

The TCI is more like a P90 without the Hum than a 85/15 so the Pauls is basically a noiseless P90 LP type guitar that can go to SC tones too...

Last edited:
One thing I find interesting in this video is that I infer that Paul has the goal of making humbucking pickups that have the single coil sound. But is this the PRS goal? Is this the goal generally? Do people think the humbucker sound itself is bad? I don't (and noting that I love the way all of those pickups sound in his video).

This is just my opinion, but the reason I have found myself drawn to PRS guitars is that they make a humbucking pickup that can cut through a mix like most humbuckers do not.

One thing I find interesting in this video is that I infer that Paul has the goal of making humbucking pickups that have the single coil sound. But is this the PRS goal? Is this the goal generally? Do people think the humbucker sound itself is bad? I don't (and noting that I love the way all of those pickups sound in his video).
I prefer single coils most of the time. If I want a humbucker sound I have pedals that will get that sound with single coils.

I can plug my Strat or Silver Sky into this amp and this pedal board and you'd swear you're listening to a humbucker when I step on the Dover Drive or Hot Cake. The Ego compressor helps a lot too.

The thing is, many people choose an electric guitar for its lead tone. But most of the time you're playing rhythm.

I want to sound good playing rhythm as much as I want to sound good playing lead.

Back