P22 pulled my pups. What does this mean?

dmatthews

Dave's not here
The set of NYXL strings lasted longer than I thought they would, but time to change them out. So a new set of Cobalts to try!
Prep...

Forgot to pull the pups last time. Still don't know if they're 5310, or 5708 but the neck pup is marked P22 BASS 3610-G

But when I pulled the bridge pup, there was a surprise!

What the heck? NAMM WHS 810?
A NAMM guitar? Or something else? What does W/O 502007 mean?

It is to wonder...

W/O = Work Order.

Can you check the resistance of your pickups?

I was thinking "work order" as well. Is that normal?

I only have an analog meter, but it shows about 7.1 on the neck and just under 7.0 on the bridge. This is done with a 1 foot cable with tone and volume controls all the way up.

For a second I freaked out and forgot this was a P22 when I saw the tail piece sitting there! Then I remembered the piezo harness holding it in place. :biggrin:

If you email customer service with your serial number can't they tell you the build specs?

Actually I just lied to you. I just measured my 53/10 DC resistance and got 8.43k for the bridge and 7.87k for the neck. Note these are uncovered 53/10s (from a P22) that aren't in a guitar. I remember getting extremely close results when I tested some covered 53/10s I also had out of a guitar.

My guess is your figures are a little wrong, are you sure the piezo wasn't "blended" when you took your readings?

Actually I just lied to you. I just measured my 53/10 DC resistance and got 8.43k for the bridge and 7.87k for the neck. Note these are uncovered 53/10s (from a P22) that aren't in a guitar. I remember getting extremely close results when I tested some covered 53/10s I also had out of a guitar.

My guess is your figures are a little wrong, are you sure the piezo wasn't "blended" when you took your readings?
Thank you for that!
I had the switch all the way down which is mag only.
Anybody have 5708 and 5310 that can take reading in guitar? I bet that changes things from pups out of the guitar.

Hmm I've got covered 53/10s in a guitar, used a 1/2 foot cable and got 7.5k and 8.08k.

I might pull them and test them out of the guitar...

Hmm I've got covered 53/10s in a guitar, used a 1/2 foot cable and got 7.5k and 8.08k.

I might pull them and test them out of the guitar...

Nicely done and thank you!
I think I'll take this to the office and use a digital meter. Maybe my analog meter is a POS. Who knows?

You can check your meter yourself if you wish with a good known resistor or two say a 4.7K and a 10K. Be aware that the tolerance ring on resistors is generally gold which is ±5%. If you want to be really accurate find some resistors with brown or red tolerance rings which are ±1% and ±2% respectively. You should be able to see 1% or 2% on an analog meter if you have the range set correctly, the most accurate reading for an analog meter is a pointer position between 2/3 and full scale.

Here are my measurements:

2012 P22 with uncovered 53/10s (in the guitar)
Treble - 8.92
Bass - 8.27

2012 Experience CU24 - covered (in the guitar)
Treble - 9.3
Bass - 8.25

Uncovered P22 53/10 (out of the guitar)
Treble - 8.95
Bass - 8.11

Covered (out of the guitar)
Treble - 8.85
Bass - 8.17

Interesting readings RVA, found this:

53/10 specs (Now discontinued, no longer available)
Scuffed nickel covers with nickel screws.
Compatible with toggle switch with push/pull tone pot
Part # Description Resistance Magnet
ACC-XXXX 53/10 treble 8.98K Alnico
ACC-XXXX 53/10 Bass 8.42K Alnico

and also from another post:

"One thing that I've been surprised by is the variation in 57/08s. I've measured the DC resistance of three different pairs now.

A non-etched pair came in as follows:
Bass: 7.6 Treble: 8.45

The etched pair (57/08TM) in the 2013 Hollowbody II were:
Bass: 7.98 Treble: 8.76

But the etched pair I've just bought (57/08 without the TM) are really surprising:
Bass: 8.79 Treble: 8.81"

Another consecutive post...

Found some old readings I took of some other 53/10s I had:

Neck - 8.15k
Bridge - 8.76k

So looks like you pretty much can't tell what they are from the resistance. Sorry, kinda useless experiment, although slightly interesting.

Interesting readings RVA, found this:

53/10 specs (Now discontinued, no longer available)
Scuffed nickel covers with nickel screws.
Compatible with toggle switch with push/pull tone pot
Part # Description Resistance Magnet
ACC-XXXX 53/10 treble 8.98K Alnico
ACC-XXXX 53/10 Bass 8.42K Alnico

and also from another post:

"One thing that I've been surprised by is the variation in 57/08s. I've measured the DC resistance of three different pairs now.

A non-etched pair came in as follows:
Bass: 7.6 Treble: 8.45

The etched pair (57/08TM) in the 2013 Hollowbody II were:
Bass: 7.98 Treble: 8.76

But the etched pair I've just bought (57/08 without the TM) are really surprising:
Bass: 8.79 Treble: 8.81"
My uncovered 57/08 readings:

2014 P24 with 57/08 (in the guitar)
Treble - 9.13
Bass - 8.39

More confusion!

Last edited:
Hmm, if the values are varying covered to uncovered I would guess that the cover is affecting the coil(s) impedance. I would have been surprised if you could tell which one was which by pure resistance measurements alone unless the values were wildly different.

Wow!
Extremely interesting! Thanks for all this testing and info gents. I sent the cavity pics to PTC just for fun, and I'll see if I can rustle up a digital meter here at the office today!

Back