P22 pulled my pups. What does this mean?

Well... must be time for a new digital multimeter!
Borrowed one at work.

Treble 8.99
Bass 8.39

Looking at all the results everyone so kindly produced, I'm still confused.:biggrin:

Wow was my meter waaaaaay off!

Well yours are extremely close to the factory specs for 53/10s! :p

So it would seem! You think having them in the guitar makes a diff? The seller thought they were 5708, PTC figured they were 5708 based on saying that 5310s were no longer used after March 2012, but the specs...
Why is this bothering me so much? Why didn't they label them for what they actually are? Like Mira pups are 245s.:laugh::laugh:

Having them in the guitar would make a difference, I would expect resistance to slightly up since there's more wire n components n stuff that the meter is reading.

I believe they were labelled "P22" because there's a difference with polarity, so they work with the piezo. I remember Juka had all sorts of fun trying to find compatible replacements for his P22, but I also remember someone else having no problems at all...

It's quite possible I have 57/08s (I bought them 2nd hand), and I was under the impression the changeover came more later on in the year. Either way it doesn't bother me, they're both great pickups.

I'm changing out the covered 53/10s in mine to these uncovered P22s, so I guess I'd better record some before and after clips just to check.

I've also been driving myself crazy trying to work out the switching I'm going to do, since PRS recommend moving the "hot" on the bridge and "ground" on the neck for coil tapping. Well, I want to be able to select which coil/s are active, so fun times wiring are coming up...

I tend to agree with you about the timing of the end of 5310 use/production, and if that's what I have I wish I had some 5708 to compare with. Or is that the other way around? Lol!
Best of luck with your pup swap, and good idea to document it!

I have a P24 Limited and it says P22 on the pickups but they are definitely 53/10. All the P24 limited's came with them. I ordered in July 2012 and received the guitar at end of sept 2012. I believe 53/10 were still for sale on the PRS site at that time. I remember early the next year they switched to 57/08 for the piezo guitars. More than likely you have 53/10. The sound of these are very single coil like but still has balls of a humbucker. My 57/08 is not near as dark sounding and is lower output than the 53/10. Playing clean on the 57/08 you will get a crisp brighter Paf sound. Playing clean on 53/10 you will get a much smother warmer sound that will blend quite nice with the Piezo.

Here's a reply from PTC (gotta love these guys, they're awesome!)

Hi Dave,

Thanks for contacting PRS Guitars.
The 57/08s and the 53/10 pickups have the same part designation and basic construction. I forwarded your question to our electronics department and from the date the pickups appear to be 57/08s. The NAMM written inside the pickup cavity shows that your guitar was set aside to take to the trade show were it may have been purchased by the dealer.

Thanks,
Sean

So I'm guessing that NAMM WHS 810 means "warehouse" 810, and even though the specs are 5310 like this is the second time I've been told they are 5708. So... I guess that's what they are.

Cool beans. PRS Customer Service is the best! And another reason PRS stands apart from the rest.

I know! I remember asking what type of replacement bulb I should buy for my H amp power light. They just mailed me a replacement instead!
So rare these days, and so appreciated.
This is what makes and/or keeps me being an unabashed fanboy.

Back