594 VS 59 Les Paul…. Questions

Andrew Paul

The cat's meow
Not sure if this is a repetitive subject but I’m a big fan of Tim Pierce’s playing and his YouTube videos and I found this one (see link below). He’s with Howard Leese and they are comparing the PRS 594 with authentic vintage 1959 Les Paul and an older than 59 gold top. The sound of the 594 in this video is absolutely incredible compared to those vintage guitars. Now I don’t have those vintage guitars or a 594 so for me to do any type of comparison would be impossible but, I was wondering if anyone on this forum ever did a similar comparison and the results.

My all-time favorite PRS (so far) is the Modern Eagle V … yet my recent purchase of a used Stripped 58 has really surprised me. I’ve paid the least amount of money for this used Stripped 58 compared to all my other PRS guitars yet the sound and sustain with those 5708 pickups are incredible (Once I set up the proper pickup height). The playability with the Stripped 58 is incredible with its pattern neck carve. So, what makes the 594 singlecut so special compared to the vintage 59 Les Paul Howard Leese and Tim Pierce compare? I mean to my ears the 594 sounds better. Is it the 58/15 LT pickups? Are there newer TCI versions of the 5815 LT pups now? Did the 594 always have 5815 LT pups? Is the bridge really different than the bridge on the Stripped 58? (Howard Leese mentions bridge being shaved down on the latest version of 594 to reduce mass so strings push down harder. including adjustment wheels). Is the bridge different on the newer versions of the 594 than the older? Is it the lacquer finish…. Does that really matter?

Fire away forum members!

Having had lots of guitars in nitro and poly finishes, I believe the nitro finish matters. I don't know why this should be so, but it certainly sounds a little different.

My Stripped 58 was one of the10 best sounding PRSes I have ever owned. The one I had sounded quite similar to my much more expensive McCarty Singlecut, made by the PS team.

There are audible differences between Leese's 59 burst and the PRSes, but they're pretty subtle. Still, subtlety is what tone is all about, when push comes to shove.

However, like you, I prefer the tone of the PRSes, and in that video, I liked the regular McCarty better than any of the others, which was a complete surprise! After seeing that video when it came out, I bought a McCarty WL very shortly thereafter.

Lots of good info here, from Mr. 594…MA Pete

Having had lots of guitars in nitro and poly finishes, I believe the nitro finish matters. I don't know why this should be so, but it certainly sounds a little different.

My Stripped 58 was one of the10 best sounding PRSes I have ever owned. The one I had sounded quite similar to my much more expensive McCarty Singlecut, made by the PS team.

There are audible differences between Leese's 59 burst and the PRSes, but they're pretty subtle. Still, subtlety is what tone is all about, when push comes to shove.

However, like you, I prefer the tone of the PRSes, and in that video, I liked the regular McCarty better than any of the others, which was a complete surprise! After seeing that video when it came out, I bought a McCarty WL very shortly thereafter.
Thanks for your reply Les, you always have great insight.

Lots of good info here, from Mr. 594…MA Pete

Thank you sir, looks like I have a lot of reading to catch up on. I once had a 594 double cut. I had a lot of trouble bonding with the neck profile but loved the sound of the guitar.

The bridge saddles changed.

The older ones were blocks and the string laid across the saddle.

The newer ones are sharp and resemble ABR-1 shaped saddles, so the string just makes contact with the sharp point.
The bridge saddles changed.

The older ones were blocks and the string laid across the saddle.

The newer ones are sharp and resemble ABR-1 shaped saddles, so the string just makes contact with the sharp point.
just replaced my 2018 594 block saddles with the newer style, made big difference, had terrible sitar sound on g and b now that’s gone and has a more chimney tone.

I don't have any issues with my block saddles' tone on several guitars

Probably dumb luck. Not that I'm complaining!
Amazes me all the tweaks Paul makes to a guitar. When I looked at the block saddles I automatically assume… and I stressed the word assume, that the more brass mass the more sustain. Hell what do I know?

Amazes me all the tweaks Paul makes to a guitar. When I looked at the block saddles I automatically assume… and I stressed the word assume, that the more brass mass the more sustain. Hell what do I know?
Then again it does make sense that the more narrow the individual saddle part the strings lay across the more pressure it puts against the bridge to the body as opposed to it distributing pressure across a larger square saddle. Again… what do I know

Then again it does make sense that the more narrow the individual saddle part the strings lay across the more pressure it puts against the bridge to the body as opposed to it distributing pressure across a larger square saddle. Again… what do I know
I know nothing.

I just make unwelcome comments on what I've played and heard. ;)

You make sense, mine sound great why F&%K with it !
If it ain't broke...

On the other hand, if you were to buy an extra bridge and saddles, and see if there was an improvement, as long as you don't toss the original, nothing much is lost. Except...uh...money.

And what's a few bucks compared to tiny tone improvements if you're a tone freak like we both seem to be? ;)

Back