P22/P24 Trem's bridges

No, they're very different. I know what you're thinking but I don't see PRS releasing that trem for aftermarket sale anytime soon. I don't think you can even buy the stoptail piezo loaded bridge, and that's been around for ages (over a decade?).

Pretty sure the only way is to go piezo saddles e.g. Graphtech Ghost, there's been plenty of PRS trems customized this way, by the PTC and others (myself included).

No, they're very different. I know what you're thinking but I don't see PRS releasing that trem for aftermarket sale anytime soon. I don't think you can even buy the stoptail piezo loaded bridge, and that's been around for ages (over a decade?).

Pretty sure the only way is to go piezo saddles e.g. Graphtech Ghost, there's been plenty of PRS trems customized this way, by the PTC and others (myself included).

Is yours a trem guitar? Can we see some photos? :)

That guitar is long gone, but I did find a photo:

22759_349776874358_535149358_4744049_1513240_n.jpg

Replaced the 3-way with a push-pull (mid dark) piezo volume, put a 3-way mini-toggle in for the mag pickup switching and another for mag/both/piezo.

That guitar is long gone, but I did find a photo:

22759_349776874358_535149358_4744049_1513240_n.jpg

Replaced the 3-way with a push-pull (mid dark) piezo volume, put a 3-way mini-toggle in for the mag pickup switching and another for mag/both/piezo.

Seems neat! Are you able to use two different outputs? 1 for guitar amp as magnetics, 1 for DI out for piezo only?

I don't really know how those graptechs work. Can you explain the modifications done if you can please?

You end up putting in a stereo switched jack, so the mag/piezo signals are split and you can do what you want with them from there.

I would say the install was medium to hard, you have to remove the bridge and drill 6 holes for the piezo wires, then get those wires to the electronics cavity (I seem to remember having to enlargen the hole for some reason), then desolder and resolder a bunch of wires from the volume pot/pickup switch/output jack etc, connect and install the preamp and battery etc. I also had to drill holes for the mini-toggles and get all that working too.

You can even go crazy and add the Hexpander board for MIDI functionality, I heard the tracking is pretty much as good as it gets.

If you're not confident with this kind of work, send it to the PTC for some expert lovin!

You end up putting in a stereo switched jack, so the mag/piezo signals are split and you can do what you want with them from there.

I would say the install was medium to hard, you have to remove the bridge and drill 6 holes for the piezo wires, then get those wires to the electronics cavity (I seem to remember having to enlargen the hole for some reason), then desolder and resolder a bunch of wires from the volume pot/pickup switch/output jack etc, connect and install the preamp and battery etc. I also had to drill holes for the mini-toggles and get all that working too.

You can even go crazy and add the Hexpander board for MIDI functionality, I heard the tracking is pretty much as good as it gets.

If you're not confident with this kind of work, send it to the PTC for some expert lovin!

I can't be sure about reliability of Splitting Stereo instead of having 2 different outputs.

Did you have chance to compare graphtechs vs Built in PRS piezos? Are there HUGE difference?

Split stereo is reliable, it just depends on your method of getting the 2 mono signals out. I used a stereo jack and short leads to 2 x female jack sockets (they had a "lock" on them so the mono jack couldn't fall out), but I didn't really like it because it was heavy and I could feel it moving around on stage. There's plenty of other solutions of course but it all depends on your needs and setup.

I've never played a PRS piezo system so can't compare sorry. I doubt there would be huge differences, but in all honesty, an OEM PRS piezo equipped guitar would be the way to go for ultimate tone and reliability. I say this because when you custom install a preamp in the electronics cavity it's a compromise. You're putting extra stuff in there that the guitar wasn't designed for and it ends up being a tight fit with extra wires everywhere and stuff floating around.

Split stereo is reliable, it just depends on your method of getting the 2 mono signals out. I used a stereo jack and short leads to 2 x female jack sockets (they had a "lock" on them so the mono jack couldn't fall out), but I didn't really like it because it was heavy and I could feel it moving around on stage. There's plenty of other solutions of course but it all depends on your needs and setup.

I've never played a PRS piezo system so can't compare sorry. I doubt there would be huge differences, but in all honesty, an OEM PRS piezo equipped guitar would be the way to go for ultimate tone and reliability. I say this because when you custom install a preamp in the electronics cavity it's a compromise. You're putting extra stuff in there that the guitar wasn't designed for and it ends up being a tight fit with extra wires everywhere and stuff floating around.

I guess I better save up for A p24 Trem :)

Back