P22 neck shape

11top

Cousin Eddie's cousin
I want to get a piezo with a tremolo. I'd like to get a production P22 with a rosewood neck, but one thing keeps me from getting one: "pattern regular." It seems strange to me that an instrument with a piezo would only be offered with a skinny little neck. Why wouldn't that model be offered with a "pattern" option? :iamconfused::iamconfused::iamconfused:

i recently picked up a p22...neck is very similar to the DGTs I have. Makes perfect sense for a solid body piezo guitar. My HB1 has the old wide-fat...seems right on a hollowbody, but I really like the pattern regular. on the P22.

I have a P22 and the neck doesn't feel skinny at all. Feels similar to the Wide Fat neck on the Custom 22 I had.

I had a P22 for a short time, returned it because it was very noisy when using both the piezo and magnetic pickups at the same time. But i loved the neck, and it was definitely not skinny.

I have a P22 pattern regular RW. It definitely feels smaller than my MEQ with a pattern RW neck. I find the P22 neck to be the easiest and most comfortable playing neck I've ever had. I say this despite my LP R9 (much fatter neck) to be my #1 guitar. For me, the pattern sacrifices nothing in terms of sound compared to the pattern regular.

When I look at how different the WF neck on my McRosie feels compared to the WF neck of my SCF (both IRW), the neck of my new P22 (hog) isn't far out of this range and doesn't feel skinny at all.

They don't offer solid IRW neck in production models any more, so if your dealer doesn't have one in stock, you have to go AP :-(
That's why I decided to settle with a hog neck this time

Interesting comments. I owned one of the first P22s, but I sold it not long after because I couldn't get used to the small profile. I guess I should clarify and call it "narrow" as opposed to small or skinny. It feels quite different to me than a wide fat or pattern, and I've had a few PRSi to compare it to. I never bonded with the "regular" necks on the early CU24s, and the P22 reminds of that profile. I much prefer the feel of my R9 necks.

Thanks for the heads-up, Juka. I didn't realize that a IRW neck was no longer available on a production
P22.

Last edited:
Have had a ton of P22's (still have some), I don't find the Pattern Regular carve to feel skinny at all. Different strokes I guess, I find it to be very comfortable, not quite as chunky as a Wide Fat but far from a Wide Thin, seems like the perfect middle ground to me! Feels closer to my older Wide Fat necks honestly, just a little bit thinner. That's my guess as to why they made that the standard carve for the P-series guitars. :)

I think because I grew up with Fender guitars mainly, the Pattern Regular doesn't feel off at all to me as it's far more in that camp than anywhere else. I like it - but I also like Pattern. Prefer Pattern to W/F actually - I find W/F too big, given the choice. Pattern Thin is the only one that's a deal breaker for me.

Patter -> Pattern Regular seems less drastic than W/F -> Regular too. But neck feel is funny in how much we can argue about it and in the end pretty damn important to the player.

First of all, I loved the P22 that you originally purchased, 11-top. I recall that the neck was not to your liking and I was aware that you ended up selling that guitar. I know that you have a great familiarity with PRS guitars and necks. For myself, I am not very sensitive to neck shapes. In this case, it sounds like the width just does not work for you. To each his own. You have a wonderful collection of guitars. I am certain that you know what you like. You purchase so many guitars from PRS. Perhaps, you deserve a response to your questions from PRSH.

So....is there a new PS in the oven then? ;)
I'm a wide fat/pattern guy as well. I haven't pulled the trigger on a p22 yet but the ones I've tried haven't felt uncomfortable to me. It is odd they don't offer it with pattern IMO though. Everything else is very McCarty like, you'd think that neck profile would be offered.

I'm a wide fat/pattern guy as well. I haven't pulled the trigger on a p22 yet but the ones I've tried haven't felt uncomfortable to me. It is odd they don't offer it with pattern IMO though. Everything else is very McCarty like, you'd think that neck profile would be offered.

Especially when played with piezo and picking with fingers.

Buy a 12 string or a Seven string & send it to the PTC to be modded. Or ........................ You could just order a PS with a 12 string neck, but only 6 strings!

That's just crazy talk. Steve wouldn't even know where to begin as far as ordering a PS.

Yeah, necks are funny things for different players. I also play Fenders (strat and tele) and Gibson LPs, and other stuff with neck shapes somewhere in between or perhaps beyond, and mandolin occasionally, and bass guitar, so the variety of neck shapes that PRS offers is nice since I can adapt to pretty well all of them. And while I seem to prefer the wide thin of my Cu24, the wide fat of my hollowbody is quite acceptable too. I do have smaller-than-average hands, short fingers that are a little thicker than many other guitarists, which is how David Gilmour described his hands "the fingers aren't very fast" (not that I would ever dare to compare relative talent levels!).

I also don't really notice scale length either, though - I seem to have a variety of scale lengths (24.5-ish to 26.5-ish for regular guitars, IIRC, plus the baritone and basses), and they all feel OK. I really should compare a couple of the extremes back-to-back to see if I actually have a preference or whether it is just like a couple of my current favorite beers: Terrapin Hopsecutioner (very hoppy IPA) vs Great Divide Belgian Yeti (Imperial Stout) - I like them both, and will gladly take either to sip on. I might prefer one or the other at any one time, but neither is "better" IMHO.

YMMV...

Back