Outdoors with the A40E

danktat

Award winning tattoo artist ... Amateur guitarist
Sometimes all you need is a gitfiddle and a mason jar to have a good time. :cool:

20220405_153243_by_klbryanphotography_df31zb0-fullview.jpg

How do you like the A40e? I am thinking of getting one of PRS's acoustic electrics. Looks like you're unplugged there. How does it sound plugged in?
Acoustically, this thing is about as bold as anything twice or more of its price range. Sits right in that punchy, midrangy, area that I like. With enough bass to not sound thin, and not the kind of top end as to make it "annoying" to listen to after a while. Plays as close to an electric as you can get and still be a 'real" acoustic (I have 12s on this). The electronics are the one place that I feel like there could be some improvement. They don't sound "bad". But they do sound "different" than it sound acoustically. The fishman system only has a vol and tone (in the sound hole) and doesn't allow for much tayloring of the tone. I feel like I would have preferred a 3 band eq on the OUTSIDE of the body. But I know some builders don't like cutting into the body to add electronics. Fortunately, that can be remedied on my amp in live situations (Fender Acoustasonic Jr). The recording project that I have been using this on currently we have been miking it. Gorgeous sound that way.

Now, my understanding from the most recent videos that I have seen put up is that there have been improvements on the electronics on the most recent iterations of these SE series acoustics. Mine is a 2017, so pretty early for the A40E. Either way. Definitely worth it to try one out. Even if you buy it new, site unseen online, you could resell it for not TOO much of a hit as long as it is still in "like new" condition. You will only take a couple of hundred on hit later. But, I have a feeling, once you have it, you would want to keep it. I sure did.

I thought I’d piggy back into this thread, as it seems the most recent, and @danktat seems over the moon with his.

I’m looking into acoustic guitars for a downstairs grab and play option. I’ve run across an A40E on Craigslist for $450 OBO. couple or 3 questions - does the price seem right, assuming excellent condition? Left field, but how is the quality of the HS case? Anything a newbe should look for buying an acoustic guitar from a random CL person?

I thought I’d piggy back into this thread, as it seems the most recent, and @danktat seems over the moon with his.

I’m looking into acoustic guitars for a downstairs grab and play option. I’ve run across an A40E on Craigslist for $450 OBO. couple or 3 questions - does the price seem right, assuming excellent condition? Left field, but how is the quality of the HS case? Anything a newbe should look for buying an acoustic guitar from a random CL person?
Case is high quality. Price is good IF it is in really good condition. PRS people don't take well to dings and scratches when it comes to resale value. ;)

If it is craigslist, just look for the normal stuff. Cracks, dings, dents, chips, Play it to see if it is set up well (though it is an acoustic so a quick truss rod adjustment may be all that would be needed anyway. Bear in mind that the truss rod tool isn't "normal" so if one isn't included you may have to drop like 10 bucks on one of those. Look for cracking around the bridge pins (they are tighter than some). You know, the basic guitar stuff that I look for even from a music store.

EDIT: Oh, and acutally PLAY it if you get the chance. The rest is about the feel and the way it sounds. If you like both of those things, then it is a winner in my book.

Case is high quality. Price is good IF it is in really good condition. PRS people don't take well to dings and scratches when it comes to resale value. ;)

If it is craigslist, just look for the normal stuff. Cracks, dings, dents, chips, Play it to see if it is set up well (though it is an acoustic so a quick truss rod adjustment may be all that would be needed anyway. Bear in mind that the truss rod tool isn't "normal" so if one isn't included you may have to drop like 10 bucks on one of those. Look for cracking around the bridge pins (they are tighter than some). You know, the basic guitar stuff that I look for even from a music store.

EDIT: Oh, and acutally PLAY it if you get the chance. The rest is about the feel and the way it sounds. If you like both of those things, then it is a winner in my book.
Hey thanks @danktat. I’m kinda (ok completely) new to used guitar buying, and pretty much any guitar buying. I bought my SE Custom 22 new from a trusted local shop.

Back