Out of commission :(

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
Well, I did something really stupid yesterday. Starting some landscaping at home. I was tearing out some of that hard black plastic edging. Was cutting it into smaller pieces with a utility knife. Somehow as I was cutting through with a good amount of force, my finger got in the way on the back side and.....SLICE...into pointer finger on the left(fretting) hand. Easily through the glove and down to bone. :mad:

Didn't think it was bad at first. Throw a bandage or 2 on and back to work, right? Then I took off the glove and the blood starts to flow...quickly. So, finger in mouth, I dash into the house to try to stop the bleeding. Still thinking in the back of my head I'll bandage her up and back to work. After a few minutes of rapid blood flow, I could see I wasn't gonna stop it on my own. I couldn't honestly see where the cut was or how bad because the blood wouldn't stop. So I grabbed a cut off of an old t-shirt in the closet, wrap it up good and off to urgent care I go.

Nurse came in and asked if I ever had stitches before. "Nope", I replied. "Well you're gettin' some today", she says. I figured so much. Doc came in and checked to make sure I had feeling in it and that I could push up and down and that sorta thing...no issues there. Shot my finger up with a bunch of numbing juice(which is the only thing that remotely hurt outta this whole ordeal)....and the burn... 10 stitches later, I ask for the news I was most fearful. "How long before I can play guitar?" - this is the only thing I'm thinking of from the moment I saw the blood. "Well, you'll need to leave the bandage on for about 48 hours. After that, use regular bandages, to keep it covered, but I want you to use it as much as possible. Use it like you normally would. Obviously if there's excessive bleeding or pain, don't continue, but yeah - bend and grip and use your hand as much as you can", he says. Well that's good news, much better than I expected. So, all in all, it could be worse. At least I have feeling and strength in the finger and hopefully be rehearsing Sunday like we normally do(albeit sloppy and not very agile for myself).

Pics or it didn't happen?

IMG_2773_zpsaprixqvl.jpg

Click here for a little gore...at least the bleeding stopped....mostly...
http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah242/vchizzle/Mobile Uploads/2015-03/IMG_2774_zpsfoxicikn.jpg

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah242/vchizzle/Mobile Uploads/2015-03/IMG_2775_zps550wyfpb.jpg

IMG_2776_zpsx5owz1sx.jpg

So after the whole ordeal, I mad at myself(still am). I'm generally very safe and don't put myself in harms way. I guess I needed a reminder to be more careful in the future. Wallowing in a bit of self pity, I decided I needed to make myself feel better. What better way, than to buy something with the PRS logo on it?!?! So couldn't resist a little NOS discount pricing on this:

prs%204x12_zpsb52gifdw.jpg

Bummer! I am glad your are okay though and it wasn't much worse.

Ouch!!

I hope it gets well with no complications or issues, and wish you the very best!

Love the cab, by the way. Sweet!

I hate to be a bummer, but if you play lead, it's going to be a while before you "use it like you normally would." That cut is going to take a while to heal. Thank goodness it's a clean cut, but it is a deep one. I'm guessing a couple weeks minimum. I hope I'm wrong and you can play right away. In the meantime, I hereby nickname you "Django."

Nice cab! Hang in there man.

When the going gets tough................... the tough go shopping.

...............and hey dude.......watch your fingers will ya!! If you keep bustin' digits up yer gonna end up havin' to play 2 finger Django runs for the rest of yer life..

Thanks for the well wishes guys.
I hate to be a bummer, but if you play lead, it's going to be a while before you "use it like you normally would." That cut is going to take a while to heal. Thank goodness it's a clean cut, but it is a deep one. I'm guessing a couple weeks minimum. I hope I'm wrong and you can play right away. In the meantime, I hereby nickname you "Django."

Nice cab! Hang in there man.
Yeah I'm not a shredder, but I do play leads. 14 days til the stitches come out. Yeah, I'm not expecting great things the next few weeks. Fortunately we have no gigs til May 6th. If I can't fake it by then, we can cancel- then I have til May 27. We also added a guitar player to the band not too long ago, so at least I can "hide" a bit. At least it's not a middle finger that I do a lot of bends with, but it is the anchor finger so to speak.

Thanks for the well wishes guys.
Yeah I'm not a shredder, but I do play leads. 14 days til the stitches come out. Yeah, I'm not expecting great things the next few weeks. Fortunately we have no gigs til May 6th. If I can't fake it by then, we can cancel- then I have til May 27. We also added a guitar player to the band not too long ago, so at least I can "hide" a bit. At least it's not a middle finger that I do a lot of bends with, but it is the anchor finger so to speak.
Get on google and figure out how Tony Iommi did it. Your story is surprisingly parallel to his. He decides to go pro and turns around and cuts the tips of two fingers off and cant play.

Get on google and figure out how Tony Iommi did it. Your story is surprisingly parallel to his. He decides to go pro and turns around and cuts the tips of two fingers off and cant play.
True, but I still have all my finger tips! Tis but a scratch!

Hope you heal quickly. Neosporin is your friend. Stitches may help too.

I did something very similar to that once when I was preparing a fillet steak and it took about 6 months I could depress a guitar string with my left index finger.

Dang Vaughn...after the pics, my fingers hurt for you...take it easy, bud...but...the effect would probably be perfect if you wanna pull off some Pete Townshend windmills...just don't do it on the PS!! Seriously...good luck, and glad it will be healed soon.

Hope that finger heals quickly Vaughan and I like the Rx you prescribed yourself. Stay away from chainsaws though....only medicine for that would be another PS! :eek:

Stainless butcher gloves for when playing with sharp knives. Your fingers will thank you. I learned the hard way too. hope you heal fast.

Back