Out of commission :(

Vaughn, be super careful about watching for infection. I don't care how well the cleaned they wound prior to stitching, the length of time before stitching gave bacteria plenty of opportunity to get into the tissue where wound cleansing wouldn't touch it.

They probably told you to leave the dressing alone, but I'm telling you to change it daily.

It needs to be cleaned (alcohol and/or mecurichrome) dabbed dry, topical antibiotic/anti fungal and new sterile dressing DAILY.

While you are cleaning, you are looking for any new redness, puffiness, exudate, etc. if you see any of that - back to the doc, pronto.

Please tell me they gave you a broad spectrum antibiotic....

Vaughn, be super careful about watching for infection. I don't care how well the cleaned they wound prior to stitching, the length of time before stitching gave bacteria plenty of opportunity to get into the tissue where wound cleansing wouldn't touch it.

They probably told you to leave the dressing alone, but I'm telling you to change it daily.

It needs to be cleaned (alcohol and/or mecurichrome) dabbed dry, topical antibiotic/anti fungal and new sterile dressing DAILY.

While you are cleaning, you are looking for any new redness, puffiness, exudate, etc. if you see any of that - back to the doc, pronto.

Please tell me they gave you a broad spectrum antibiotic....
They told me to leave initial dressing on 48 hrs, then change daily. So it comes off shortly. They just said soap and water to clean, then bacitracin and bandage. Having tattoos and an eyebrow pierced(in my young days), I'm pretty comfortable in what to look for. In all likelihood I'll have to change bandage at least 2x a day, knowing how much I use hands.

Ok, good. It's just that I had a friend recently visit an urgent care instead of a hospital ER for minor sutures. He almost loss use of his hand due to an infection. He had multiple follow up surgeries.

I was reading an article in a medical journal the other day, it said high intensity sonic vibrations from a quad output device encourages faster healing and prevents bacterial growth.

;)

Here's to that paw getting well soon buddy!

You had me at "click here for gore".

Very sorry about your finger, sir. If it's any consolation this is now the most metal thread of the forum.

<3

Ouch...just saw this. Hope it's healing up uneventfully and quickly Vaughn. It's starting to look like a slasher film around here...maybe we can have an ugliest scar competition at PRSX.

How's the hand today, Vaughn?
I got the big mummy bandage off yesterday afternoon and it's feeling decent. I played guitar a little bit. The bandaid on my finger feels like the biggest hindrance right now. I ended up doing some yard work for a bit and going about my day as normal. We watched movies at home, so I figured it would be a good time to let it get some air(doc told me to do this when there was no risk of getting it dirty. Naturally a grabbed the guitar while the movies were playing and I went about doing chord changes and exercise stuff to keep my finger active. So far, so good. I feel pretty damn lucky and thankful right now. Band rehearsal in a few hours, so we'll see how it goes.

You had me at "click here for gore".

Very sorry about your finger, sir. If it's any consolation this is now the most metal thread of the forum.

<3
:D

I got the big mummy bandage off yesterday afternoon and it's feeling decent. I played guitar a little bit. The bandaid on my finger feels like the biggest hindrance right now. I ended up doing some yard work for a bit and going about my day as normal. We watched movies at home, so I figured it would be a good time to let it get some air(doc told me to do this when there was no risk of getting it dirty. Naturally a grabbed the guitar while the movies were playing and I went about doing chord changes and exercise stuff to keep my finger active. So far, so good. I feel pretty damn lucky and thankful right now. Band rehearsal in a few hours, so we'll see how it goes.

:D

Fantastic! Glad it's going well.

Suggestion: take a guitar with a dark rosewood fingerboard. When the bleeding starts - and, it will - it will be absorbed and won't be very noticeable. My Les Paul is my DNA sponge. :eek:

Go slow. You probably know by now whether or not the pain is easy or tough. While they may keep it from popping back open, those nerves have to heal and that can be really fun. Good luck bro!

Last edited:
a couple years ago I was building some fence and was pounding fence staples in. A guy a few hundred yards down the road took a pot shot at a crow or something and it ricochet off a rock and as I was pounding a staple in I suddenly heard the wizz... it was like slow motion or something as it hit a tree less than 5 feet from my head and the hammer came down, full swing, no attempt to avoid it due to the distraction right on the tip of my left index finger. You'd be surprised how much you can do with the other 3 fingers for a couple weeks!

oh man, I've got the matching scar on the same index from virtually the same thing years ago. Never use a buck knife to trim a crepe myrtle....;-)

Ah the flying fickle finger of fate... That is awesomely gruesome!
Glad you're OK... prolly wouldn't bother me cuz I play like I have three fingers anyway...

A couple weeks ago, I did something similar. Cutting back thick bunches of spent flowers. Was in a hurry, Did not have on gloves. Damn garden shears can be mean little buggers!
DEEP 45 degree angle cut in the first section of the index finger on my left hand. No bleeding at first, but then......Holy S**t!......Very clear I needed stitches. And those little high strength adhesive strips on top.
AND, it was the weekend before we went in the studio to try our hand at recording. Well, we did not have to cancel, but I played REALLY carefully (maybe more tastefully than usual). I used all 4 fingers, but not necessarily well, playing around the wrap as best I could.

Did someone say "Django"?

If anyone is interested in listening, I thought this track actually turned out fairly well, notwithstanding.....

https://soundcloud.com/django49/loan-me-a-dime-mix-1

Good luck with the recovery.

Leather gloves while working outside...always. Not those girly garden gloves. Nice brown leather ones. Your digits will remain unscathed. Now, if you chop your entire arm off with a chainsaw, there isn't protection from that.

Back