Older McCarty or Paul's Guitar Se

Mec78

So I asked this in another thread that was started by some else specifically about Paul's Guitar SE and got the general a well kept core even a 20 year old core is going to beat even a $1000 SE every time. I understand that but I'd like to follow up and ask, which would you choose and why if the money were the same and you were a bedroom player. Also please let me know if your someone playing professionally or a giging or a hobbyists (like myself) so I have some context for your answer. Thanks

So I asked this in another thread that was started by some else specifically about Paul's Guitar SE and got the general a well kept core even a 20 year old core is going to beat even a $1000 SE every time. I understand that but I'd like to follow up and ask, which would you choose and why if the money were the same and you were a bedroom player. Also please let me know if your someone playing professionally or a giging or a hobbyists (like myself) so I have some context for your answer. Thanks

To be honest, I think I would probably go with the older 'core' McCarty. I am a Hobbyist and not a professional or active gigging musician.

Don't get me wrong, the SE Paul's guitar looks 'great' for the money and very versatile too with the individual coil splitting option but as soon as you spend $1000 on that guitar, you no longer have a $1000 guitar. By that I mean that if you want to sell, you won't get $1000 back for a used SE Paul's guitar. You spend $1000 on a used core McCarty, you still have a $1000 guitar - which 'could' raise in value in line with inflation etc. Your SE is likely to drop over time as more and more Pauls become available - especially on the used market.

That's immaterial though if you don't have plans to sell. What does it matter if your SE is now worth $500 for example if you have no intention to sell it anyway. This then brings me around to tone and 'feel'. The SE's feel good, play well and have very usable tone. However they do lack when compared to a core PRS guitar. I totally understand that for some, the difference on their mind doesn't equate to 4x better. For example, if an SE is 85% as close to a Core, you are paying several thousands to get the extra 15% difference - not that you can measure guitars this way but I am sure you can visualise the concept.

The Core is a no holds barred guitar - built from the finest materials and with all the knowledge, the experience and years of research and development poured into it. The woods are 'cured' to crystallise all the resin. The one-piece necks take 'weeks' to make, making sure that they are as stable as they can be, to allow them to settle as wood can move when its carved - you don't want a slightly twisted neck as it settles after carving the bulk of it down. Every part of the guitar has been researched to see what actually is best for tone, for usability etc - its why PRS guitars have evolved as Paul will spend days experimenting with 'nuts' for example to see which material is the best. What you are buying - even if its used (as long as its stock) - is the pinnacle of guitar manufacturing.

SE guitars are made under licence in Indonesia (at least with the Paul's Guitar. The body is 'Mahogany' maybe a couple of different Mahoganies glued together. A maple cap (not necessarily flame or quilt - with a thin veneer on top. The PU's are made locally - maybe not with the highest grade wiring but wound to a similar output and/or construction etc The Bridge on the Pauls SE is a quality bridge though. Again, I don't want you to think I am bashing the SE and, in comparisons with a Core Paul's, it's not a million miles apart. Of course there is 'difference' as expected.

My point is that the McCarty is a much better instrument. Its kind of like buying a 2nd hand 4k HDR TV for the same price as a new HD TV. The HD TV still looks good but when compared to a 4k HDR version of the same content, that extra clarity, that greater depth etc stands out. The Paul's SE is still a great guitar for the money but if you can get a used McCarty, the difference in quality is noticeable.

Having said all that though, I don't know if the McCarty has the option to Coil Split - I doubt it has individual split coils so maybe not as 'versatile' in that regard so you may lose out on 2 (HS or SH) tonal options and maybe 3 others (Bridge Single, SS or neck Single) whether that matters more to you or not, I can't say but I personally would still go for the McCarty as that is the 'better' guitar - at least for me...

Thank you for your well thought out response. I have a EG SE for the single coil sound so not really concerned about coil tapping. I can get my hands on a McCarty for $1400 or a Paul's Guitar SE for $1000 so there is a price difference for sure but from the sound of it (no pun intended) the McCarty is a lot more guitar.

Every time I take my old CE out to a gig or open mike, I’m struck by how well made the core guitars are. I love my SE’s and will always gig with them, but as Mozzi said, the core guitars are just that much better. Save yourself the time and trouble and get right to the core.

The McCarty, especially now that you said you have the SE EG. It'll get you closer to a lot of the classic rock tones. It will have a coil split unless it's a very early one. They are great guitars.

Bedroom player or not, you won't regret it. I've been an occasional gigger for a couple decades and have played with SE guitars and they do great, but there's something special about core guitars.

Thank you for your well thought out response. I have a EG SE for the single coil sound so not really concerned about coil tapping. I can get my hands on a McCarty for $1400 or a Paul's Guitar SE for $1000 so there is a price difference for sure but from the sound of it (no pun intended) the McCarty is a lot more guitar.

As I said, I am a home 'hobbyist' to use your term. I don't gig and certainly haven't taken my guitars out. As you can see from my signature, I am a proud owner of 4 Core PRS Guitars - a McCarty 594, a 509, a Custom 24 and a Hollowbody ii. I bought all mine new (not bragging btw but stating a fact) and have absolutely no regrets at all. Maybe a part of me felt 'comfortable' spending big on such a high quality and extremely stunning instruments because I am only a home user - less chance of it getting damaged in anyway. However the main reason is because they are in a different league to any other PRS in my opinion. Everything ticks my box and I know the S2 and CE series have their qualities too but the core line is something special.

Before I go on, I just want to address the last line in the above paragraph regarding the S2 and CE models. These do share the build quality but they do share 'similar' parts to the SE range. The CE has US Pick-ups but doesn't have a set neck and the depth of maple isn't as thick on the top. Some prefer the CE Custom 24 because it has a different moulded bridge, the carve isn't as pronounced and the bolt-on neck means its more snappy. Considering their pricing and where that puts them in terms of the competition, they are excellent guitars, like the SE line is an excellent choice in the less than $1k price point. I just want to clarify that before someone misinterprets the last line or two. I am certainly not saying these guitars are not competitive because they are extremely competitive at their price point for buying New.

Now that has been said, the Core are exceptional guitars. Nothing about them can be said to be 'cheaped' out on - like using the 3 piece neck construction with a scarf joint headstock - it started off as one solid lump of mahogany - all bar 2 little wing tips - but even those are difficult to spot as they match the grain very well. Obviously the top of the Headstock is a veneer but looking at the underside, I have to look really close to see where the line is (and can't see it on most of mine - about 3 of the 8 as there are 2 per side). They may well share the same wood curing, the same attention to the build quality etc etc but to me, there is something 'extra' special when you get to the Core range. Again, not saying that SE, S2 or CE aren't special in their price range nor that someone may prefer an SE for example because they feel more comfortable and less worried about getting some battle scars through gigging or prefer an S2 because its a no frills rock machine or prefer the CE because it has a bit more snap...

Whatever PRS you end up buying can easily become a favourite to you and each is a great guitar in its price range BUT I would still buy a used McCarty over a new SE even over a new S2 in the $1400 price point - you are getting a $3k+ (I don't know how much they sell for in the US), a guitar that was built to the highest standard and fitted with the highest standard parts to create something that is 'extra' special and a high end instrument. The only time I would buy an SE over a used core would be because it offers something I really need desperately and cannot get for the budget I have available - again not bashing the SE line but IF I can save up and buy a Core Paul's, I am not buying the SE version. The comparison video's alone show why but, if my budget was $1k or less, then I would happily buy the SE version.

You can't go wrong as PRS are superb instruments and, if you can, try both yourself and see which feels right, feels better for you and which sounds better too. I cannot tell you how to spend your money, just tell you what I would buy if I was in that situation. To me, the McCarty is easily worth spending the extra $400 on. Maybe knock them down a bit on price too and get a better bargain - but if they won't budge, $1400 is still worth it to me. However, I am not you so you are the one that has to decide which is right for you and your budget - its you that will be playing it, you that has to be comfortable with making that purchase etc.

Good Luck...

Last edited:
Hobbyist here. I'd go Core, all day long. I have owned a couple of SEs, and while they were both (One and Bernie) great guitars, and punched way above their weight class, at the end of the day, the Cores are better guitars. The attention to detail, craftmanship, etc set them apart. You can just feel it when you have one in your hands. If I were looking for another guitar, and my choices were in the same dollar range, I'd take Core over everything else.

Hardly anyone has played the SE Paul's guitar yet so it's tough to say for sure. An older McCarty will probably be a better guitar overall as others have said, but if you've found yourself in a cover band or something and need lots of guitar tones, the SE Paul's might be the right thing for you.

What if, in a couple of months, there is a used Pauls Guitar SE on Reverb for "$500"?
How does that change the decision between that and the used McCarty $1,400?

There will be some used PGSE's that were floor demos etc soon after 'release', at least I've seen it with some other models so it will probably happen with these too.

I realized a while back that I'll play used guitars a lot more than the fresh from the store ones that have no scratches/damage/etc. I have even have a PRS SE from the 2000's that I bought off Reverb because it had a neck broken at the body, which I steamed off, repaired, and got a basically scrap (low price) guitar running great again. However, I repair and build guitars from scratch, so I'm not the usual buyer. Hobby player.

Are you the type to leave stock guitars stock or do you enjoy tinkering? Start tinkering with the McCarty like swapping pickups and you might as well get the SE because the more mods there are the more people won't buy it later no matter how much you 'upgraded!' items on it. They want an unscratched McCarty. They will want an unscratched PGSE too but the market is different there.

95% of guitar buyers say the next guitar is 'the one' and then eventually sell it to lighten the fleet and get the 'the next one'...

Meh, there's nothing wrong with a stock McCarty. There may be nothing wrong with a stock SE Paul's. If you mod a guitar, save to stock parts and convert it back to stock if you decide you want to sell it.

Also, there are a few threads on mods, and a lot of us would love to see your work if you took pics of that repair you did. https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/se-mods.629/

I don't think there's a right or wrong choice. The right guitar for you is the one that feels best for you. If you can, try them both.

-k

I played both, and I definitely would go for the McCarty. Even road worn core model stays top level. I especially like the pickups of core line.

Personally I prefer to target used instrument, of course they are cheaper than new instruments, I like the way they play, I am less afraid to had a ding or a scratch on them, and if I want to change you can sale them to price closer to your investment.

Life is too short to not try and grab as many Core PRS as you can.

Do you still have your Bernie? If I recall correctly @bodia already sold his.

My Bernie is pretty much fully upgraded and I am usually quite surprised how well it compares to my S2 / Cores. After upgrading tuners, nut and bridge, I feel the frets are the only real weakness - jumbo or extra jumbo frets would probably make it just as playable as my DGT.

Only problem is that once you figure in the cost of all the upgrades (and the refret costing a bundle), then the total cost is pretty close to a used 58 stripper. Decisions, decisions...of course the right answer is just buy the Stripped 58 and upgrade the Bernie. :confused:

My Bernie is pretty much fully upgraded and I am usually quite surprised how well it compares to my S2 / Cores. After upgrading tuners, nut and bridge, I feel the frets are the only real weakness - jumbo or extra jumbo frets would probably make it just as playable as my DGT.

Only problem is that once you figure in the cost of all the upgrades (and the refret costing a bundle), then the total cost is pretty close to a used 58 stripper. Decisions, decisions...of course the right answer is just buy the Stripped 58 and upgrade the Bernie. :confused:

Yep, I did sell mine, to a Forum member.

Yeah, I still have mine.

I agree about the frets, but the smaller ones kinda fit the Gibson vibe these give off.

Back