Older McCarty or Paul's Guitar Se

So I asked this in another thread that was started by some else specifically about Paul's Guitar SE and got the general a well kept core even a 20 year old core is going to beat even a $1000 SE every time. I understand that but I'd like to follow up and ask, which would you choose and why if the money were the same and you were a bedroom player. Also please let me know if your someone playing professionally or a giging or a hobbyists (like myself) so I have some context for your answer. Thanks

You’ll notice that bodia had a pretty nice Bernie. Mine is similarly upgraded and the cost is close to a S2 Singlecut Satin Standard. That includes bone nut, Phase III tuners and an upgraded ABM bridge. With the S2, I have not yet upgraded anything.

The final piece of the puzzle to get my Bernie where I really want it, would be a refret with stainless jumbo frets. The S2 will probably get that upgrade first though. At that price point, I just got a used DGT (which has jumbo frets) and could have picked up a Stripped 58 (which also has jumbos). Those two guitars also come with a PRS hardcase.

Take a refret out of the picture, then with any other upgrades that you may do, the cost of the SE could very quickly get to the McCarty. No matter how you look at it, the McCarty will still be the better guitar, comes with a hard case and probably needs no upgrades.

Ive got to add this, i was chatting with a fella last night that has a 95 McCarty for sale. He showed me a pic and it looks nice.

Said his wife bought it for him as a gift new in 96. It does have coil split.

Although I am partial to the Paul’s guitar, I concur with Markie. Full fledged McCarty for the win. If you’re lucky, these older ones can have lots of mojo.

Ive got to add this, i was chatting with a fella last night that has a 95 McCarty for sale. He showed me a pic and it looks nice.

Said his wife bought it for him as a gift new in 96. It does have coil split.

As good as having that versatility is, Splitting the coils has come quite a long way in the 20+years since. They aren't quite a match for guitars that do have a Single coil instead. Whether that is because they are Humbuckers first and foremost and built as such or maybe its the fact that you set up everything for he Humbucker tones and splitting the coil has too big a drop in volume and/or doesn't quite sound like a SC - close but still not quite the same. The new TCI - at least with the Core Paul's, does an exceptional job of sounding like a SC with no drop in volume. That is its Selling point so if that is a Quitar that has 'nailed' the splitting coil sound, it stands to reason that others haven't.

I believe older guitars, especially those with just 1 Tone push/pull pot for Splitting both coils simultaneously, doesn't quite have the option to run the Guitar as a Bridge HB and Neck SC (or vice versa) which also removes the option of a HS or SH combination in the middle position. In the middle position, you only have the option to have 'both' as HB's or 'both' split. Not saying that someone needs to have the option to split each Humbucker individually - although it can be quicker to swap from a Neck SC type tone to a Bridge Humbucker tone and its easier to have a mini-toggle than to pull-up (pushing down is easy) to split coils.

Both instruments are different anyway and the question isn't about comparing a Core McCarty vs Core Paul's. Two instruments that would share the same quality materials, same attention to detail, same build quality built by the same hands essentially too. The woods will be dried and 'cured' properly - everything is using the highest quality materials and parts. Then it would comedown to what you need in particular - do you need the tones and splittable TCI puck-ups more than the McCarty tones. Its much less to consider in my opinion. Comparing an SE to a Core though, regardless of what SE and what core, there are many more things to consider - like the quality of the woods, the curing to turn the resin into crystals, the one piece neck that took weeks to make to ensure its settled and stable, better quality PU's and Electrics etc. PU's can be 'wound' anywhere but that doesn't mean the quality of the wire, the magnets etc are the same. Whatever aspect you want to pick, whether its the body or neck woods, whether its the PU's or the Nut, whether its the Tuners or the Pots - everything on a core is a 'step' (or more) up from SE. The only thing that looks to be on-par with a Core is the Bridge on the SE Paul's guitar - both Core and SE Paul's Guitars have the 'same' bridge.

There is no argument that the McCarty at $1400 is the better guitar if you look at everything individually. There is no doubt that the quality is a bigger step-up and that, if you buy it, you can sell it for around the same money - its not going to drop in value. There is no argument that, in general, the McCarty is the better instrument. The one 'spanner' in the works though is what the OP wants, what they are looking for from an instrument, which fills that hole the best, which one does the OP want to play the most. There could be some aspect which is more important to them, to their needs and that cannot be met in their price range - like the ability to individual coil split and (to them) the better SC tone. Its still up to them to try both to see which fits them best. Even if the McCarty doesn't have the option to Split, I would still pick the McCarty but the OP may feel differently...

I previously owned a McCarty and it was a well built instrument and is worth every penny but only if it feels right in your hands. I recently picked up a 2019 The Paul SE and with no intent of purchasing it, after playing it I knew I wanted to have this guitar. I think many of the PRS SE models attention to detail are a bang for the buck in it's price range. I would lean towards the McCarty but wouldn't rule out a Paul. You'll know once you play it.

As good as having that versatility is, Splitting the coils has come quite a long way in the 20+years since. They aren't quite a match for guitars that do have a Single coil instead. Whether that is because they are Humbuckers first and foremost and built as such or maybe its the fact that you set up everything for he Humbucker tones and splitting the coil has too big a drop in volume and/or doesn't quite sound like a SC - close but still not quite the same. The new TCI - at least with the Core Paul's, does an exceptional job of sounding like a SC with no drop in volume. That is its Selling point so if that is a Quitar that has 'nailed' the splitting coil sound, it stands to reason that others haven't.

I believe older guitars, especially those with just 1 Tone push/pull pot for Splitting both coils simultaneously, doesn't quite have the option to run the Guitar as a Bridge HB and Neck SC (or vice versa) which also removes the option of a HS or SH combination in the middle position. In the middle position, you only have the option to have 'both' as HB's or 'both' split. Not saying that someone needs to have the option to split each Humbucker individually - although it can be quicker to swap from a Neck SC type tone to a Bridge Humbucker tone and its easier to have a mini-toggle than to pull-up (pushing down is easy) to split coils.

Both instruments are different anyway and the question isn't about comparing a Core McCarty vs Core Paul's. Two instruments that would share the same quality materials, same attention to detail, same build quality built by the same hands essentially too. The woods will be dried and 'cured' properly - everything is using the highest quality materials and parts. Then it would comedown to what you need in particular - do you need the tones and splittable TCI puck-ups more than the McCarty tones. Its much less to consider in my opinion. Comparing an SE to a Core though, regardless of what SE and what core, there are many more things to consider - like the quality of the woods, the curing to turn the resin into crystals, the one piece neck that took weeks to make to ensure its settled and stable, better quality PU's and Electrics etc. PU's can be 'wound' anywhere but that doesn't mean the quality of the wire, the magnets etc are the same. Whatever aspect you want to pick, whether its the body or neck woods, whether its the PU's or the Nut, whether its the Tuners or the Pots - everything on a core is a 'step' (or more) up from SE. The only thing that looks to be on-par with a Core is the Bridge on the SE Paul's guitar - both Core and SE Paul's Guitars have the 'same' bridge.

There is no argument that the McCarty at $1400 is the better guitar if you look at everything individually. There is no doubt that the quality is a bigger step-up and that, if you buy it, you can sell it for around the same money - its not going to drop in value. There is no argument that, in general, the McCarty is the better instrument. The one 'spanner' in the works though is what the OP wants, what they are looking for from an instrument, which fills that hole the best, which one does the OP want to play the most. There could be some aspect which is more important to them, to their needs and that cannot be met in their price range - like the ability to individual coil split and (to them) the better SC tone. Its still up to them to try both to see which fits them best. Even if the McCarty doesn't have the option to Split, I would still pick the McCarty but the OP may feel differently...

I have my McCarty set up with push pulls on vol and tone. It definitely makes the guitar more versatile AND it doesn't cost much at all to do the mod.

I have my McCarty set up with push pulls on vol and tone. It definitely makes the guitar more versatile AND it doesn't cost much at all to do the mod.

Its not 'normal' for this to happen and, we do know it can be done, but whilst it does add to the versatility - assuming you want the HS or SH options for the middle selection on the 3 way - it doesn't necessarily give it a Single Coil sound - I hear it as a split Humbucker sound more than as a Single Coil. I am not denying that the quality of the McCarty may well give it the edge over a SE Single Coil sound on its TCI 'S' Pick-ups - mainly because I haven't actually A/B'd these two instruments.

I personally would still pick a Core McCarty PRS over an SE Paul's - even if the McCarty had no Coil splitting options. There are more than just its 'lack of' versatility compared to the SE Paul's guitar. For me, the 'coil splitting' option on a McCarty would be more 'bonus' options rather than a 'must have' feature. Obviously, if I can have the Coil Split (individually split or just split/full on both), that would be a preference but I would by a McCarty just for its build quality, its material quality inc the woods and how they are 'cured', the fact the top is a solid and beautifully figured Maple - not a veneer, I could go on but the coil splitting would be just a bonus. I still don't think they generally sound like a Single Coil but maybe close 'enough' for the OP.

I can't answer for the OP either, what they are really looking for - a guitar like the McCarty or maybe its just the Core that's in their Price Range, a guitar like the Paul's but concerned it may not be as good as spending a bit more and getting a used Core? I don't know what their ear may prefer, whether they need the option to split coils or not, whether they prefer the tones of one or the other more. I can't tell some how to spend their money, can't tell them what they should prefer. Anything can be 'modded' if the OP wants to after they acquire it. If the Paul's though does exactly what the OP wants and prefers when they try them, then they may as well buy that than pay $400 more and then still have to spend money to get what they want/need most. I know we all agree that fundamentally, the McCarty is the 'better' instrument but that doesn't mean its the right instrument for the OP...

OLDER MCCARTY, definitely!
Dings, nicks, and scratches are signs that the guitar was actually played and enjoyed, meaning it sounds good. East Asian models are fine (I have an SE 245 and it plays, sounds, intonates, and stays in tune greatly), but NOTHING compares to a hand-made in America model. NOTHING!
I have a used (cuz I'z po' folk) 2004 McCarty dark cherryburst and it is easily the best guitar I own. Best sounding, best constructed, ties in most stable tuning with a Korean small company yet still high-end super strat type I have, and feels the best.
Even when it arrived and I hadn't played it yet, I touched the top of it, without really expecting anything, and immediately was like "Whoa, wait, this actually FEELS more expensive, wtf?"
If it's a good deal, NAB IT! You will NOT regret a USA-made guitar, especially from PRS.

EDIT: I'm a bedroom player myself, played for 20+ years before I owned my first American guitar (the aforementioned McCarty), so I'm in a similar boat as you. Trust me, USA-made.

assuming you want the HS or SH options for the middle selection on the 3 way - it doesn't necessarily give it a Single Coil sound - I hear it as a split Humbucker sound more than as a Single Coil. I am not denying that the quality of the McCarty may well give it the edge over a SE Single Coil sound on its TCI 'S' Pick-ups

The SE doesn't have TCI pickups does it? Splitting the pickups on an SE Paul's Guitar isn't the same as on a core Paul's Guitar with TCIs.

The SE doesn't have TCI pickups does it? Splitting the pickups on an SE Paul's Guitar isn't the same as on a core Paul's Guitar with TCIs.

The SE comes with the TCI 'S' pick-ups - as does the new Santana SC although that doesn't have coil splitting options. Its a 'full size' Humbucker bur it is TCI 'S' Pick ups. Its not unusual for PRS to have 'S' versions of their Pick-ups. Its not the 'same' as the Core but then the Core costs 4x as much and the Core model does have narrower rather than 'standard' Humbucker TCI Pick=ups but the SE is using TCI 'S' Pick-ups.

Is there any info on these TCI S pickups? Or even the core TCI pickups? What exactly do the manufacturer do to tune capacitive inductance?

I don't know - the only thing I have seen is that there appears to be a small PCB in the electronics cavity if that gas anything to do with it. Paul found the answers whilst working on the 635JM Pickups on the Silver Sky but I don't think PRS have made it public on the 'secret' to these Pick-ups

McCarty II

So I went and did a search, and lo, what did I find?

ggtzd0tpbcggzv3bwwtf.jpg

It's a h*ckn epidemic.

I've only been playing a couple of years this go around (had a few lessons in the 80s but they didn't take). Wife says that I'm trying to set some type of GAS record. I've had a 2 MIM Fenders and 1 Epiphone LP in that time and whatever reason (neck shape mainly) didn't stick around long, but then I found PRS fat wide and there it was like shaking hands with an old friend. Since I then I've found an SE EG and a Bernie and they aren't going anywhere. My point in all this GAS is I apparently am most picky about neck profile. Getting a McCarty or a PGSE is mainly about neck profile, a 3rd sound and it I was missing something without a PRS Core in the lineup. Thanks for all the replies.

Back