Old Paul’s Guitar vs new Paul’s Guitar/Modern Eagle V

Michael Lee

Hi all,

I’ve just recently received my Modern Eagle V, and was curious about the more and quite apparent volume drop when tapping/splitting the humbuckers into single coils vs my 2013 Paul’s Guitar.

Wondering if anyone else has noticed this, or would this be a matter of raising my pickup height.

Thanks!

I never fully understood that feature... why would you want the splits/single coils to be the same volume? Then they don’t sound like single coils, and they don’t hit the front end of your amp in the same way as single coils.

I’ve literally watched (and experienced myself) everyone with a 408/Siggy having to check those little toggles to tell if they were in humbucking mode or single coil because they don’t sound like single coils.

So, are the splits wimpy sounding compared to the older Paul's? I've had 2015 models - you did too, right?
I wouldn't say wimpy, I would say more authentic sounding single coil sound. I just tried my Exp 2018, which has TCI pickups, and it sounds the same as the MEV. There is a noticeable volume drop when switching from hum to single. However, I also tried the 509 and the DGT, and there is a noticeable volume drop on those when tapping, as well. Then I grabbed the SSH, and it isn't as noticeable. I would also add that I actually had to look at the mini toggle position (as @sergiodeblanc mentioned above) to see if I was in HB or SC mod. Funny, I always thought that guitar had good splits, but it's not even close to as authentic sounding as the 509, ME V or Exp 2018. TBH, I haven't had my Paul's in a couple of years. I'm hard pressed to remember what it sounded like. I would be surprised if you weren't really happy with the ME V tones. BTW, what's the ETA?

Cool. Makes sense. Authenticity is good. My ME5 will be here sometime Wednesday. Hopefully earlier than later, lol.

When I play my Paul's TCI with the toggles up, I have to look at the guitar to see if I am really playing a guitar with humbuckers. I have had it for a couple of months and I am still surprised by the tones this thing has. I hope to try out the ME-V someday.

ME: We need an ME V at home!

WIFE: We already have an ME V at home

ME V at home:

UzjSpFC.jpg

ME: Sad noises.

ME: We need an ME V at home!

WIFE: We already have an ME V at home

ME V at home:

UzjSpFC.jpg

ME: Sad noises.

Dude, that is a gorgeous Mason. I loved mine and am hoping the ME V is as killer as the BM. I still hope to snatch up another someday. To me, the only disadvantage to the BM is the scale. I love the 25" scale - it is extremely comfortable for my playing style.

Dude, that is a gorgeous Mason. I loved mine and am hoping the ME V is as killer as the BM. I still hope to snatch up another someday. To me, the only disadvantage to the BM is the scale. I love the 25" scale - it is extremely comfortable for my playing style.

I'd wager it's going to be a few steps up from the BM. True core construction, TCI pickups, and Paul's latest wizardry.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the responses - I was initially intrigued by the noticeable volume drop when the coils were split, comparing them against my old Paul's Guitar and SSH, and was wondering if this was the case for newer Paul's Guitars too.

All very confusing for me giving the different tap/split options and now with TCI (and whether it makes a difference in volume drop too!)

Back