OK, I'm A Guitar Player.

László

Too Many Notes
I've reached the astounding conclusion that I'm a guitar player. Finally. After 47 years!

I've been playing keyboards continuously since 1954, when I took piano lessons for the first time. I was four years old. After a short while, playing keys simply became a familiar language to me. By the time I was eight, I was coming up with my own little child-compositions, and playing by ear. So I've always thought of myself as a keyboard player, and I've been playing keys for nearly 60 years.

My brother taught me a few chords on guitar when I was 17, and I learned the rest myself. But I was never as at home on the guitar as keys for two obvious reasons: first, playing time. Second, when you reach around 13-14, your brain begins to learn differently. It's easier for kids who start young to become virtuosic on an instrument, and harder for those who start later. Adult beginners on instruments learn this truth about brain development pretty quickly!

OK, so I'm a keyboard player. No surprise.

But two things happened recently that have altered my way of thinking of myself. Someone called me and asked for a license for an old tune I wrote about 15 years ago, and played on the Artist II. So I listened to it again. There was a solo toward the end. It was melodic, fit the song well, and while not full of speed and flash, was very well played. The timing was good, the structure built nicely, all in all, I'd have paid someone a goodly amount to do a session that well. And I thought, "Hmmm!"

Then last week I had to do a demo for a car company project. When I do unfinished demos, I often play the parts myself, and then if the direction is approved by the ad agency, I have someone who's a better player redo the take. Maybe they play what I did, only better, maybe they come up with something new.

There were two solos in the piece that needed to carry the melody. Much to my surprise, they turned out really well, were decently played, and had the all-important build, structure, and melodic content. The clients said they loved the work. I'm keeping those tracks!

So it dawned on me that, gosh darn it, I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and people like my guitar playing! So I must be a guitar player!

This isn't to say that most of you can't run circles around me with your speed licks and chops -- of course you can! I make no claim to speed.

But I can write a heckuva part, play that part well enough to get away with it, and my thinking is that if it sounds good, it IS good!

I'll admit a bias here - and of course, this is just personal preference, not a pronouncement of what's good vs what isn't - but my bias is that a good guitar player ought to be able put together an interesting melody that works in the context of a song, as opposed to string together a bunch of tired licks. A good example of a player I think does this very well but isn't an all-speed-chops-all-the-time guy might be someone like David Gilmour. Not that I'm as good as he is, obviously.

Anyway, after all these years, I'm thinking of myself as a guitar player capable of writing and performing some interesting parts. I'm actually both excited and relieved! Now I don't feel like I'm wasting my time being a guitar fan! ;)

I know. You're all just so thrilled for me, right? :top:

Last edited:
As a guitar player, like any instrument, often it's what you don't play. Sounds like you've got down what Jeff Baxter talks about...

What do you do when you're stuck for ideas while on a session? Sit back and wait because it'll come. Sometimes it's a good thing. I did a session for [Steely Dan producer] Gary Katz a long time ago, and he told me to bring all my stuff. I charged him triple scale because it was on a Saturday at a place way the hell out. He said, "Okay, I want you to listen to all these tunes and then tell me what you think we ought to do." So I listened to ten tunes, and each time one would finish I said I didn't hear anything. When we finally finished, I said, "Gary, there's really nothing you need. It sounds fine." He said that was all he wanted to hear and paid me my money. Fair enough. You just don't play sometimes. I found that one of the harder things to learn to say is: "There's no need for it. You know, as much as I'd like to play on this track as a businessman, as a musician I know you don't need it."

I've reached the astounding conclusion that I'm a guitar player. Finally. After 47 years!

I've been playing keyboards continuously since 1954, when I took piano lessons for the first time. I was four years old. After a short while, playing keys simply became a familiar language to me. By the time I was eight, I was coming up with my own little child-compositions, and playing by ear. So I've always thought of myself as a keyboard player, and I've been playing keys for nearly 60 years.

My brother taught me a few chords on guitar when I was 17, and I learned the rest myself. But I was never as at home on the guitar as keys for two obvious reasons: first, playing time. Second, when you reach around 13-14, your brain begins to learn differently. It's easier for kids who start young to become virtuosic on an instrument, and harder for those who start later. Adult beginners on instruments learn this truth about brain development pretty quickly!

OK, so I'm a keyboard player. No surprise.

But two things happened recently that have altered my way of thinking of myself. Someone called me and asked for a license for an old tune I wrote about 15 years ago, and played on the Artist II. So I listened to it again. There was a solo toward the end. It was melodic, fit the song well, and while not full of speed and flash, was very well played. The timing was good, the structure built nicely, all in all, I'd have paid someone a goodly amount to do a session that well. And I thought, "Hmmm!"

Then last week I had to do a demo for a car company project. When I do unfinished demos, I often play the parts myself, and then if the direction is approved by the ad agency, I have someone who's a better player redo the take. Maybe they play what I did, only better, maybe they come up with something new.

There were two solos in the piece that needed to carry the melody. Much to my surprise, they turned out really well, were decently played, and had the all-important build, structure, and melodic content. The clients said they loved the work. I'm keeping those tracks!

So it dawned on me that, gosh darn it, I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and people like my guitar playing! So I must be a guitar player!

This isn't to say that most of you can't run circles around me with your speed licks and chops -- of course you can! I make no claim to speed.

But I can write a heckuva part, play that part well enough to get away with it, and my thinking is that if it sounds good, it IS good!

I'll admit a bias here - and of course, this is just personal preference, not a pronouncement of what's good vs what isn't - but my bias is that a good guitar player ought to be able put together an interesting melody that works in the context of a song, as opposed to string together a bunch of tired licks. A good example of a player I think does this very well but isn't an all-speed-chops-all-the-time guy might be someone like David Gilmour. Not that I'm as good as he is, obviously.

Anyway, after all these years, I'm thinking of myself as a guitar player capable of writing and performing some interesting parts. I'm actually both excited and relieved! Now I don't feel like I'm wasting my time being a guitar fan! ;)

I know. You're all just so thrilled for me, right? :top:

I've recently learned this little fact...

Being good at guitar doesn't make you a guitarist.

Point being - a lot of guys can shred, and contort their fingers to play crazy licks, and by all means, they're great at playing the instrument of guitar. That doesn't mean they have the skill to be a guitarist. Much like I can throw a spiral (football), but that doesn't make me a quarterback. There is a lot more that goes into song writing, guitar playing, and the instrument than simply being able to have the coordination to pluck the string when you have it fretted.

I'm only 26, and I just recently learned this fact. My whole life I've been trying to develop technical skills to be a good guitar player. But I severely lack in my ability to be a true guitarist. Recently, I've been studying theory and have been working on bridging that gap from simply having technical skills and coordination, to being a real guitarist.

Sounds like you've figured this out a long time before me :) You're a guitarist.

Sounds like you've figured this out a long time before me :) You're a guitarist.

Sounds like you've got the important stuff going!

My son, who's your age, is a guy with super-nice guitar chops and terrific writing skills. He started young enough to make that happen, and on those rare occasions when we play guitar together, he kind of gives me that, "Too bad you never really learned to play this thing," look. It's something that fathers and sons have, I guess.

I give him the same look when he plays keys. ;)

Sounds like you've got the important stuff going!

My son, who's your age, is a guy with super-nice guitar chops and terrific writing skills. He started young enough to make that happen, and on those rare occasions when we play guitar together, he kind of gives me that, "Too bad you never really learned to play this thing," look. It's something that fathers and sons have, I guess.

I give him the same look when he plays keys. ;)

Haha - I know the look. Good for your son! I wish I had that kind of dedication to it when I was growing up... I was always involved in way too many things to truely use that "ability to excel quickly" thing that you're talking about. I guess that makes me well rounded, or something, but sometimes I wish I just picked one thing and was awesome at it, instead of being 'decent' at a bunch of things.

Haha - I know the look. Good for your son! I wish I had that kind of dedication to it when I was growing up... I was always involved in way too many things to truely use that "ability to excel quickly" thing that you're talking about. I guess that makes me well rounded, or something, but sometimes I wish I just picked one thing and was awesome at it, instead of being 'decent' at a bunch of things.

I think that folks your age typically feel that they haven't gotten awesome at anything yet. But that goes away because life is about constantly learning, renewing, getting better, etc.

My son toured Europe with a well known band last summer and fall. When I told him how awesome that was, he replied, "I really didn't do anything to deserve it."

I said, "Yeah, a platinum band is going to give a gig to someone who hasn't done anything to deserve it, and take him to Europe for three months. That's so normal. Happens all the time." ;)

I think that folks your age typically feel that they haven't gotten awesome at anything yet.

I have never experienced that at any age. No matter what I do, I always think I am GREAT at it. And no, I am not kidding. :rock: My girlfriend may be bitchy, but I drive her NUTS with my ego. :cool:

:tongue: :wink:

I've recently learned this little fact...

Being good at guitar doesn't make you a guitarist.

Point being - a lot of guys can shred, and contort their fingers to play crazy licks, and by all means, they're great at playing the instrument of guitar. That doesn't mean they have the skill to be a guitarist. Much like I can throw a spiral (football), but that doesn't make me a quarterback. There is a lot more that goes into song writing, guitar playing, and the instrument than simply being able to have the coordination to pluck the string when you have it fretted.

I'm only 26, and I just recently learned this fact. My whole life I've been trying to develop technical skills to be a good guitar player. But I severely lack in my ability to be a true guitarist. Recently, I've been studying theory and have been working on bridging that gap from simply having technical skills and coordination, to being a real guitarist.

I look at it as "Being good at guitar doesn't make you a musician"...

I see kids (Particularly all over Youtube) who have amazing shredding skills, sweep picking at lightning speeds, etc... But I wonder how most of them would cope being thrown into a situation where they where told specifically not to do that. Play to the music... Could they reign it in. Nothing wrong with it as a skill.. As part of the repertoire or part of the arsenal of tricks... But there's more to it than speed alone. Indeed, given any lead player spends most time on rhythm then getting some tasty rhythm chops down would be much more useful.

I can't really 'shred' although I did go through that phase and spent silly time on trying to play fast. Point being... I'm a guitarist but I still wouldn't classify myself as a musician.

I have never experienced that at any age. No matter what I do, I always think I am GREAT at it.

Tag, not only do I agree with you; not only does every man jack on this Forum agree with you; but your parents Jor-El and Lara Lor-Van who rocketed you here to Earth as a baby just before Krypton exploded agree with you.

Welcome to our planet! :top:

My son toured Europe with a well known band last summer and fall. When I told him how awesome that was, he replied, "I really didn't do anything to deserve it."

That's the thing about times like that, sometimes you don't realize what they mean while they're happening, but down the road you look back and think, "maybe I was that good".

Nothing wrong with being well rounded JRod, makes you are more interesting person.

Hey wait a minute Les,
So today you're a guitar player, but the other day you were a Chippendale's male stripper named is Hunkadelic. Did that gig fall through? In either case if you break your G-string you're out of business.

Hey wait a minute Les,
So today you're a guitar player, but the other day you were a Chippendale's male stripper named is Hunkadelic. Did that gig fall through? In either case if you break your G-string you're out of business.

One can be both an astronaut and a cowboy. ;)

Very cool LS....

I'm no songwriter but I think of myself as a guitar player but still learning. I'm definitely from the school of "less is more" when it comes to leads and I'm not a shredder technical wizard by any stretch. I am admittedly a blueser at heart and no matter how hard I'm rocking, or how bright I'm twanging, it always shines though. The whole lyrical playing of George Harrison and Mike Campbell comes to mind. Fast is great, but I prefer those who make every note count and don't just "wank", if I may be so harsh. But for me a bent note played soulfully will always win me over.

I never wanted to be a technician, and I learned a long time ago that songwriting wasn't my bag. My niche is replicating records as a sideman and or a cover band guitarist. I think you can still be a guitar player and do that, but that's just my thinking on it. For me I love and get off on the fact I'm playing all of the classic recordings that made me pick up the instrument in the first place. I dig that raw rock n' roll edge and perhaps sloppy at times swagger and groove.

Nothing makes me smile harder than starting into an intro riff and having everyone lose their $hit live! I'm actually probably more of a rhythm guitarist or riff guy at heart, and I'm lucky that in my band I get to start off most of those famous "OMG I love this song" intros. :D

I think that folks your age typically feel that they haven't gotten awesome at anything yet. But that goes away because life is about constantly learning, renewing, getting better, etc.

I said, "Yeah, a platinum band is going to give a gig to someone who hasn't done anything to deserve it, and take him to Europe for three months. That's so normal. Happens all the time." ;)

That's awesome - I guess he and I have a similar amount of humility..unlike Tag! lol

Back