Ohms Question For Attenuator

Kendall

Hey everyone, I'm hooking up my new fryette power station attenuator to my fender hot rod deluxe iv amp. On the back of the fryette power station, there is a switch selector for speaker ohms with three options: 2/4, 8, 16. I know my speaker is 8 ohms, so that's an easy decision. However, there is also a three way switch selector for for amplifier ohms: 2/4, 6, 8. I have no idea how many ohms my amp is. Can anyone tell me how to figure out how many ohms a fender hot rod deluxe iv is? Thanks!

Thanks @Malloc that helps to know. Kinda new to attenuators, trying to figure it all out without blowing anything up

That’s selecting what impedance the attenuator presents to your amp. If you just had the single 8 ohm speaker previously then 8 ohms if what you’d want.

Edit:
page 5 of the manual has a good description of those switches https://www.fryette.com/content/Power_Station2_Manual_FINAL.pdf

Thanks @Malloc that helps to know. Kinda new to attenuators, trying to figure it all out without blowing anything up
That’s a great option, by the way. Being able to connect your amp to any cab is a great thing!

I have the PS-100. These are great units. They are one of the few units on the market that will allow you to connect up a cabinet that is a mismatch ohm rating to your amp. Your Hotrod Deluxe is capable of running an extension speaker. I have one of these amps and the extension cabinet for it. I believe that connecting the extension cabinet drops the amp to a 4 ohm load. I would still run the amp at 8 ohms. You could change the load for the cabinet on the Fryette if you daisy chain another cabinet.

As a side note, many guys like the sound of their amps running at higher ohmages. It runs the transformers a little harder and does change the tone a little. Eddie was one that really liked running his amps at 16 ohms because he liked the tone better with the 16 ohm load.

@JasonE I agree, the fryette power station is fantastic. Thanks for that explanation, its all starting to make a little more sense to me now after doing some research

@JasonE I agree, the fryette power station is fantastic. Thanks for that explanation, its all starting to make a little more sense to me now after doing some research
What sold me on the PS-100 was that I can use if for multiple things. I can use it to do silent recording of an actual amp head and drive it as hard as I want. I can also use the cabinet with it and keep the volume down to where I want it.

The thing that pushed me over the edge is that I can plug my Kemper Stage into it and use it to drive a real speaker cabinet. The first time I connected it up this way confirmed that I chose the right unit for the job. I have since also purchased a Fractal FM9 and can do the same with this unit.

I like being able to get more than one use out of things that cost as much as these units do. The fact that they just continues to knock it out of the park in all of these use cases just makes it perfect.

@JasonE woow I didnt realize I could run something like a Kemper stage through it and drive it through my speaker. Im definitely going to give that a try. I wonder if the tubes in the power station add a little more color to the kemper stage that it otherwise might be missing if you ran direct into an interface instead

@JasonE woow I didnt realize I could run something like a Kemper stage through it and drive it through my speaker. Im definitely going to give that a try. I wonder if the tubes in the power station add a little more color to the kemper stage that it otherwise might be missing if you ran direct into an interface instead
It works really well for pushing the Kemper into a regular speaker cab. I just turn the cab block off on the Kemper and feed it into the PS then a speaker cable into the cabinet. I haven't compared other amps in this scenario so I can't really speak to it adding color. I have read on the Kemper forum that some feel it adds that tube warmth to the tone. I just know that when I hit the first chord, I was pretty impressed with the sound.

Back