Hdrx20- NAD and first tube amp! Attenuator help

Justin Bamford

I just got the 20w head with matching 1x12 cab. I love it so far, although super loud! My first official tube amp after only using modeling…Can anyone recommend an attenuator so I can tame the volume just for jamming at home? I don’t need anything fancy, just want to crank the master a bit more. Or let me know if this is pointless with a master volume amp.

I was almost set on the Ironman mini 2( for price point and simplicity) but it is only 8 ohms and apparently the cab I have is 16ohms.

Thank you in advance from an amp noob!!

Part of the idea of the MV is that you won't need an attenuator - dial in your tone, and set the volume level with the master. But...if you're finding the tone you want and you need to crank up the MV to get there, then that method doesn't work for you. Doesn't make the general idea right or wrong, just not right for you.

I don't have any real experience w/attenuators, so others will have to speak to that aspect, but there are a couple that are thought of rather fondly around here.

There are lots of very good ones. PRS was using the Koch Loadbox in its demos of the higher powered models. The Koch does more than attenuate, you can use it as a direct box, or with speaker cab emulation (but might be best with IRs).and It's reasonably priced and pretty flexible. It's also not terribly expensive. You can also use it with headphones.

If I needed a simple attenuator, it's one I'd probably be most interested in. For a bit more flexibility, the Tone King Iron Man II would be great if I wanted something a bit higher end, and it has the benefit of a reactive load for a more speaker cab-like feel. The Tone King is a very sophisticated product, but moderately expensive.

Koch products come from The Netherlands. Most tone King products are USA made.

I've heard the SPL Reducer is also quite good, made in Germany, very high quality but does fewer things. However, SPL is a company whose products are found in the finest mastering studios, and they make stuff extremely well, and I tend to trust their products.

So it all depends on your needs.

The penultimate might be Universal Audio's OX Box, but it's very expensive. However, it does even more than the previous products I mentioned, including room and mic simulation. So there are plenty of killer choices.

Incidentally, congrats on graduating to a real amp!

Last edited:
I just got the 20w head with matching 1x12 cab. I love it so far, although super loud! My first official tube amp after only using modeling…Can anyone recommend an attenuator so I can tame the volume just for jamming at home? I don’t need anything fancy, just want to crank the master a bit more. Or let me know if this is pointless with a master volume amp.

I was almost set on the Ironman mini 2( for price point and simplicity) but it is only 8 ohms and apparently the cab I have is 16ohms.

Thank you in advance from an amp noob!!

I got a previous version of the Audiostorm Reactive Load Hotbox attenuator that is really good. I got it through Reverb (I live in Canada, they are in the UK.)

On a side note, I got the HDRX 20 a few weeks back too, and it is such a great amp! The master, while good, does alter the grind you get from running it hard. I tend to set the treble volume max, Bass volume at 3/10, and master at about 8/10. When that master hits the 6.5+ zone, you start to hear the glorious power tube grind kick in. I love it.

I currently am using it with a Boss TAE which does an excellent job too. I have my amps on a switcher so I can shuffle which one goes to the TAE. Best $ I spent on amps hands down was the TAE and an amp switcher. The Audiostorm attenuator lives in the back of my JTM45 clone combo. Works excellently in there!

Part of the idea of the MV is that you won't need an attenuator - dial in your tone, and set the volume level with the master. But...if you're finding the tone you want and you need to crank up the MV to get there, then that method doesn't work for you. Doesn't make the general idea right or wrong, just not right for you.

I don't have any real experience w/attenuators, so others will have to speak to that aspect, but there are a couple that are thought of rather fondly around here.

If the master volume level has an effect on the tone you might be dealing with a bright cap in there. I can't directly tell from the gutshots posted here what's going on as the lugs on the master pot point toward the board and who knows what's under there without taking the board out.

I got a torpedo captor a few months back that I really like. You do have to dial the amp in a little differently to compensate for the speaker sim but it's not drastic and significantly better than the latency in the wall of sound plugin you get with the captor. I haven't tried the actual attenuator function but the DI part works very well.

The only amp I have without a master Vol is my Fender Vibrolux and I use a Weber Mass 200 (they also make smaller ones ) that I got used, the better sounding/feeling attenuators I have I have used have speaker drivers in them , makes the sound feel like a speaker is attached others I have tried don't feel or sound natural to me.
The second part is using a master vol , it is not really as simple as dialing in your tone and lowering the MV , volume changes how things sound and feel in a room , playing at low vol takes a bit of extra tone tweaking usually adding a bit of low end and or reduced presence, I also used delay ( feedback ) to mimic feedback you get at volume.
100% it is easier to get a great tone when you push a tube amp more , but I play longer ( and later at night ) at really low vol.
One other thing if you have one try a bigger cab , or something less efficient LOVED how the Orange Dark Terror and Egnator Tweaker 15 sounded on bigger cabinets.
I have high hopes for the HDRX 20

I bought a Bugera PS1 on the back of watching Phil Mcknight with one (worth a watch).

I was very sceptical, but for the money it is pretty good. I should add it’s my first attenuator (so read into that what you will).

It has 4, 8 & 16 ohm outputs. I believe it’s designed on a Mike Soldano circuit. In my opinion you don’t have a whole lot of tone loss either.

Ok it’s not all singing/dancing like others that cost more, but it does what it’s supposed to and my wee 22w Mesa is singing.

I bought a Bugera PS1 on the back of watching Phil Mcknight with one (worth a watch).

I was very sceptical, but for the money it is pretty good. I should add it’s my first attenuator (so read into that what you will).

It has 4, 8 & 16 ohm outputs. I believe it’s designed on a Mike Soldano circuit. In my opinion you don’t have a whole lot of tone loss either.

Ok it’s not all singing/dancing like others that cost more, but it does what it’s supposed to and my wee 22w Mesa is singing.
I think I will give the PS1 a shot! I was skeptical because it was so much cheaper than some of the other attenuators. Thank you!

The penultimate might be Universal Audio's OX Box, but it's very expensive. However, it does even more than the previous products I mentioned, including room and mic simulation. So there are plenty of killer choices.

Incidentally, congrats on graduating to a real amp!
I just went and checked current prices on the UA Ox Amp Top Box, thinking the price might have come down after a few years on the market. It’s gone up $300 since I bought mine! Yep, it’s hard to justify buying a interface box that costs twice the price of the amp in this case. There are many good options already covered here. I hope the OP will report back on his experience.

On the other hand, that magic box from Universal Audio continues to impress here. I admit I’ve spent more cash on things that remained in the music room far less time. Price being only one factor of value, the Ox Box has been money well spent for me.

Of course, I’m among the few knuckleheads here who would spend more on an interface than what it was processing, so what do I know? o_O

The one thing I would absolutely make sure you get is a reactive load and not just an attenuator. It makes a difference in how it feels. I went down this road a couple of years ago. I decided to go with the Fryette PS-100. This does everything but run an IR. I have a C.A.B. M+ to run behind that to get the cab emulations if I want them. I can also use the PS-100 to run my Kemper or FM9 into and then run that into a real cabinet if I want because this unit works as an amp too. For me, the multiple use aspect of this thing is what sold me on it. It is also known as one of the best if not the best one on the market for keeping the tone and feel of your amp when using it. I subscribed to the buy once cry once theory on this one and have not regretted it. They do have a new version out that runs an IR. If I were in the market today, I would look hard at that model.

Of course, I’m among the few knuckleheads here who would spend more on an interface than what it was processing, so what do I know? o_O
I'm with ya.

In fact, I always record with a live speaker and mics, and still give consideration to an OX box, even though I clearly don't need one.

Hi Justin,

Amy from Two notes here! Have you checked out our Captor X? It's available in 8 or 16 Ohms, a compact reactive load box and attenuator!

More info here - https://www.two-notes.com/en/torpedo-series/torpedo-captor-x/

We also have some great deals on our Factory Repack Reverb Stores in the US and EU - all products have a 2 year guarantee at a reduced priced.

EU store - https://reverb.com/uk/shop/two-notes-audio-engineering-europe
US store - https://reverb.com/shop/twonotesnorthamerica

Really great to hear some of you are already part of the Two notes ecosystem
1f918.png

Let me know if you have any questions!

Hi Justin,

Amy from Two notes here! Have you checked out our Captor X? It's available in 8 or 16 Ohms, a compact reactive load box and attenuator!

We also have some great deals on our Factory Repack Reverb Stores in the US and EU - all products have a 2 year guarantee at a reduced priced.

1f918.png

It’s always great to see gear makers on line and directly answering questions pertaining to their gear. Good show, Amy!

Hi Justin,

1f918.png

I bought a Captor X a few years go and I love it. There are only 2 levels of attenuation but I've found I can work with that just fine. I use it all the time with the IRs for lower volume practice. One of my best purchases in years.

I bought a Captor X a few years go and I love it. There are only 2 levels of attenuation but I've found I can work with that just fine. I use it all the time with the IRs for lower volume practice. One of my best purchases in years.
Awesome! So glad to hear!

Back