Oh dear....

Man, I could be here all day posting pics of new PRS I've seen. They just get better and better

There is a warm spot in my heart for "unfinished" necks. My two all time favs ( that I unfortunately no longer have) were an Ernie Ball evh, and an early ebmm jp6. I LOVED those gun oil maple necks! Having said that, I have a satin maple on a wood library cu24, and two irw (408 and sc Ted). I love all three. If I were buying, I would go with the McCarty rosewood neck, just for the neck. Can't go wrong there. I have a dgt too, and love it as well. I just wish it had a bare neck!

I'd play all three. I would expect to favour the McCarty and the DGT.
I really like the dual volume options - it one of the things I've always liked about my Les Paul.

I would think the thickness of the McCarty would lend itself to what you're looking for, so I would lean in that direction.

That said, I haven't tried one myself, yet, so only speaking from second-hand news.

I'd play all three.
Those are the most valid 4 words on this entire thread in my eyes, the proof will be in the pudding. One of them will speak to you regardless of the specs & features.
That said, the copperhead top is light years ahead of the others, the tiger & the evergreen were a distant 2nd & 3rd as far as they look to me. I like faded whale but not that top, wasn't feeling the odd grain.

.......and that guitar of yours on the right (prism?) is just fabulous.

OMG guys, the holy trinity:
http://wildwireguitars.com/electric-guitars/prs/mccarty/

I suspect I'll favour ANY guitar with a satin neck, to be honest.
Agree about the copperhead - looks fantastic. The one piece body is amazing (any sound benefit?)
Ah, my one on the right is "Orange Fade" (experience model).

Proof will be in the pudding this weekend. I can't let either Cu24 go - they're both too good with those maple necks. Part of me wishes I just got one so that IF (!!) I do get something, it'd be easier to justify!

I'm not discussing specific pricing but relative to the two with rosewood necks, the one with the katalox neck is cheaper - how come?
Unfortunately I don't live near Wildwire but will try those others this weekend.

Traditionally I've always favoured uncovered pups which sound brighter and split well (sound like the DGT) with a thinner neck so will be interesting.. mostly to see if I like fixed bridge or not. Do any of you block off your trems?

I'm not discussing specific pricing but relative to the two with rosewood necks, the one with the katalox neck is cheaper - how come?
No idea. Rosewood is more of a known quantity to guitarists, Katalox is more of an unknown? Just guessing.

Would you get one with or without trem?

Maybe I should just mail the shop and ask why katalox neck goes for less?

Yeah, agreed, I would just ask. While you're at it, ask how Katalox as a tone wood sounds different from Rosewood.

I'm more of a stoptail guy, so I'd go stoptail, but PRS' trems are the best I've experienced, so I wouldn't mind the trem version if I didn't have a choice.

I have played Gibsons for 52 years before finally giving them and other American guitars up for European built guitars, like XOX Audo Tools and Vigier.

One thing I have noticed over the 59 years I have been playing and recording is that while Gibsons and the True Historic Les Pauls have a great tone and it's usually a fat tone, that, in my humble opinion, limits the guitar's versatility in certain respects, at least for me.

I have found that it is easier to fatten up a guitar's tone then to thin it out. Hence, the reason telecasters always record so well, and adapt to so many different styles of music. When I was doing session work, a tele was used far more then any other guitar for commercial music because it's tone qualities could be so well manipulated at the mixing desk. This may be different today.

With the advent of modern amps, and the Kemper/Fractal/Line6 Helix, et.al., guitars can be manipulated tonally to sound like a lot of other different guitars. Yes, there are certain sounds which are "attached" to specific guitars, but that is becoming less of concern due to the modern gear available.

What I like about the PRS guitar sound, even though I have little experience playing a PRS so far, is that it sits in the middle of a tele and a Gibson sound for the most part, as I hear it, and this allows for a lot of tonal freedom, rather then sitting on one end or the other of the possible tonalities a guitar offers. Your mileage may vary.

How different compared to a Cu24?
I keep hearing they're darker and the splits aren't as good as DGT but it sounds damn good in that video!
Doesn't have the "no volume drop" like the Paul's guitar but will try that out at the weekend.
So much money, though... very tempting but ouch :)

I could sell my suhr and Larrivee to help fund it. Would have fewer, quality guitars. All PRS so not much "variation" - a bad thing?
I rarely play acoustic and the PRS beat the suhr.
Talk about justification!

Can you guys stop posting links to things I'd like… I'm trying to stop buying a new guitar (or two) until I have sorted other pressing matters.

Thanks ;)

Back