Nut on 2007 McCarty Korina

Ryan76

So I just got one of those old/new stock 2007 McCarty Korinas with the Brazilian Rosewood fretboard....

For some unknown reason they strung it with 9s instead of 10s. I use 10s exclusively, so irrespective of the fact that a new setup will need to be done to address intonation etc, will the nut slots need to be filed out or adjusted to accommodate 10s or are PRS nut slots big enough to switch to 10s interchangeably?

Should be. It probably had 10's on it before the previous owner put on the 9's.

Should be. It probably had 10's on it before the previous owner put on the 9's.

Thanks. Weird thing is, I got this new. The PRS documentation says it was originally strung with 9s.

A couple of weeks ago I too received a NOS 2007 McCarty Korina with Brazilian board. Mine was strung with 9's from the factory as well. I wouldn't think going to 10's would require nut work but I could be wrong.

This is my third McCarty and without a doubt my favorite.

Also, the factory sticker on the McKorina's case has a DOM date of 04/05/13 which I am to believe as being "documentation of materials" due to the Brazilian board. AFAIK, none of these were shipped to dealers until 2013.

A couple of weeks ago I too received a NOS 2007 McCarty Korina with Brazilian board. Mine was strung with 9's from the factory as well. I wouldn't think going to 10's would require nut work but I could be wrong.

This is my third McCarty and without a doubt my favorite.

Also, the factory sticker on the McKorina's case has a DOM date of 04/05/13 which I am to believe as being "documentation of materials" due to the Brazilian board. AFAIK, none of these were shipped to dealers until 2013.

Outlaw. Thanks for the info. I like mine a lot too. I only have 2 other issues with mine.

1) I hate traditional kluson style tuners. I like locking ones but picking ones that the posts would be the right height and that would require minimal additional drilling is giving me fits. I have heard mixed information about whether the PRS IIIs work given the headstock thickness and angle.
2) The stoptail bridge that doesn't allow for intonation adjustment. Im looking at the Mann 2300 or the Schaller Signum, but haven't made my mind up yet.

I'd agree as well. But, if you want to make the switch, the MannMade 2300 rocks. I have it on three of my PRSes. As for the locking tuners, I just ordered a set of Kluson Vintage locking tuners for a SC Ted. I had a set of the Hipshots for it (no drilling), but I couldn't get the original collars out, even using substantial force. So, I found some Kluson locking tuners and ordered them. Should be here by the end of the week. I have no experience with them though. I usually go Phase III on anything that doesn't have locking tuners, and drill out the hole if necessary.

Back