NGD: PRS SE 594 Singlecut Standard.. Uggg..

S2C22

Well, I bought an SE 594 Singlecut Standard in Cherry and got it Friday.. It is boxed up, awaiting a return label. Big mistake.. Now, before I get flamed, I'd like to note that I've been setting up my own guitars for 20 years, as well as every one else's I know. PRS Cores, S2's, many Gibsons, ESP's, Jacksons, Floyd Roses, you name it.

First off, fit and finish was ok. It looked nice, felt cheap. Then, there's a host of issues..

First off, the tool marks, gouges, and glue were proudly on display. Absolutely dreadful, and unacceptable. But, could be cleaned up, to an extent, and overlooked if it were a great player. Unfortunately, this was not the case...

Next, the nut.. Both B & high E strings choked out, never rang true, so not a set-up issue, clearly a nut issue. And, the issue turned out to be one I couldn't address, without a new nut because the nut height at the first fret was way low.

G & B string saddles were at their max from the factory, and intonation was STILL significantly sharp, (using a Peterson Strobe HD). This was still the case after I spent 2 hours doing a setup. Typically, a setup takes much less time on a decent guitar, but this one was SO out of even minimum PRS specs, it wasn't funny. Action was well over 2mm at the 12th, both treble and bass side, and relief was over .012.. Now, I typically get a Core or S2 as low as .005, but find around .007 the sweet spot. This guitar wasn't having it. I also go for around 1.4mm on the bass side at the 12th, and 1.2 on the treble. Again, not achievable on this one. Constant back and forth battle between truss rod, and action, neither of which would land in a spot that was comfortable.

The input jack was loose, and the nut was about to fall off when I received it. No biggie, a couple turns with a socket, tighten right up. Not so, it was STILL loose internally, it wasn't holding the guitar cable tight whatsoever, the cable just wobbled. I suspect the prongs were bent, or something, but I would have to yank it out completely to see, and the wire to the jack was so tight, it would have broke off, unless I pulled it out from the inside, the way it was routed. Easy to diagnose, but should I have to? NO. It wasn't as noticeable until I plugged into my Friedman and different cable.

Would NOT hold tuning, whatsoever on the G, B, and E. Back to the nut.

So, I could NOT see this as a worthwhile purchase, even at 10% off. My intent was to do upgrades anyway, but the list of shortcomings was too long. This turd should have NEVER left the factory. POOR QC across the board, and I'm back to my "NO INDONESIAN GUITARS policy. I don't care who's name is on the headstock, they still haven't figured it out. This guitar is going back, and I will easily decline exchanging for another.

Have there been some good reviews on these? Sure. But, based on the turd I got, I would say buy at your own risk. And, only at a discount. Even one built perfectly isn't worth $829, or the hype.

Last edited:
I'm one of the SE fans, at least of the Korean ones. After my S2 594 SC, I got two used SE245s from GC. One was pretty good, except for a tuner and the nut but the second one, a Soapie, is amazing. I'm sure it was great to start with but it came from GC looking like new with a noiseless bridge P90 and a velvety sanded neck. Action is 1mm on treble side and 1.5mm on the bass with a relief of .008. I'm playing it way more than my S2. I'm also looking at getting a used Core eventually but am really happy now so that Core will have to be about perfect.

That's where I got mine. Like new, almost half off. But they're gone pretty quickly.
Yeah you gotta jump on em....there was a vela up there last week for around 800....I actually bought a standard 22 there for under 7 like 4 years ago...I swear it was NOS...I put a covered JB in the bridge and changed the volume nob and it rocks at 7lbs...

Well, I bought an SE 594 Singlecut Standard in Cherry and got it Friday.. It is boxed up, awaiting a return label. Big mistake.. Now, before I get flamed, I'd like to note that I've been setting up my own guitars for 20 years, as well as every one else's I know. PRS Cores, S2's, many Gibsons, ESP's, Jacksons, Floyd Roses, you name it.

First off, fit and finish was ok. It looked nice, felt cheap. Then, there's a host of issues..

First off, the tool marks, gouges, and glue were proudly on display. Absolutely dreadful, and unacceptable. But, could be cleaned up, to an extent, and overlooked if it were a great player. Unfortunately, this was not the case...

Next, the nut.. Both B & high E strings choked out, never rang true, so not a set-up issue, clearly a nut issue. And, the issue turned out to be one I couldn't address, without a new nut because the nut height at the first fret was way low.

G & B string saddles were at their max from the factory, and intonation was STILL significantly sharp, (using a Peterson Strobe HD). This was still the case after I spent 2 hours doing a setup. Typically, a setup takes much less time on a decent guitar, but this one was SO out of even minimum PRS specs, it wasn't funny. Action was well over 2mm at the 12th, both treble and bass side, and relief was over .012.. Now, I typically get a Core or S2 as low as .005, but find around .007 the sweet spot. This guitar wasn't having it. I also go for around 1.4mm on the bass side at the 12th, and 1.2 on the treble. Again, not achievable on this one. Constant back and forth battle between truss rod, and action, neither of which would land in a spot that was comfortable.

The input jack was loose, and the nut was about to fall off when I received it. No biggie, a couple turns with a socket, tighten right up. Not so, it was STILL loose internally, it wasn't holding the guitar cable tight whatsoever, the cable just wobbled. I suspect the prongs were bent, or something, but I would have to yank it out completely to see, and the wire to the jack was so tight, it would have broke off, unless I pulled it out from the inside, the way it was routed. Easy to diagnose, but should I have to? NO. It wasn't as noticeable until I plugged into my Friedman and different cable.

Would NOT hold tuning, whatsoever on the G, B, and E. Back to the nut.

So, I could NOT see this as a worthwhile purchase, even at 10% off. My intent was to do upgrades anyway, but the list of shortcomings was too long. This turd should have NEVER left the factory. POOR QC across the board, and I'm back to my "NO INDONESIAN GUITARS policy. I don't care who's name is on the headstock, they still haven't figured it out. This guitar is going back, and I will easily decline exchanging for another.

Have there been some good reviews on these? Sure. But, based on the turd I got, I would say buy at your own risk. And, only at a discount. Even one built perfectly isn't worth $829, or the hype.
I’m sorry to hear that. My double cut 594 SE had a loose input jack as well, I have encountered that before on other guitars and tightening it seemed to work but I will keep an eye on it and take it in to the dealer for repair/replacement if necessary. Other than that, besides adjusting pickup height, it plays and sounds great.

Sorry to hear you got such a bad one. I have four SE's (along with a couple of Core's and one S2), and had zero issues with them. The SE's were from 3 different stores, but maybe part of the difference is in-person shopping and the stores checking their inventory before putting them out for sale. Disappointing to think PRS QC didn't catch these flaws you found, but in my experience (and what I read here) there are a lot more good SE's than bad ones these days

Last edited:
Of the guitar, yes! Of Bro Uggs, no!
JXuYVQxHsCK1Jxs3PPFw4mvJcMGnlNe1zpw60tBcv6w.png

Would this have been an Indonesian made SE? Your experience doesn't seem to be typical but what a let down, none the less. But it's normal, I think, for one lemon to get by every now and then. Happened to Fender and Gibson too, even back in their glory days.

I own two Indonesian made SE Silver Skys and they are first rate.

Never played any other Indonesian made PRS SE guitars.

I sure like the Korean made Singlecuts though. Those can be terrific guitars after a pickup swap.

Bummer you've had this experience...Pics of the problems would help here, as would where you bought it from and how log they had it before shipping it to you. Historically these types of stories are more store related than PRS QC related. YMMV, please drive up to the first window, if it's free take two...

I’ve played so many SEs over the years and can confidently confirm the quality of the Indonesian SE’s are no where near the Koreans SE’s. I do have one Indo SE, a SS SE, which had to have the neck sanded down so it didn’t feel so rough on the back.

Having said that, it was the only flaw I found and in my experience signature guitars receive much more attention to detail than other SEs.

Back