NSD: 2009 PS SANTANA

THE EAGLE HAS LANDED. AND SHE IS DIVINE. CAN'T WAIT TO PLUG THIS IN!!!

AVvXsEhAdBdzQQqtBIT3gnc9GzpF8kTAUn6nMyPu_Ws0UqDkQhHLUxrAav7uG1pW6WrZgXVJSJGFFh0rqy2IaHLFI9z2oVahT4DtRcvHVTu3SmL56dJroUyr_ZDT9sgId_DYS7uzyxh-FLPFhP4Cz05VmE9Qwpo4gidewVReJ90ir_bvESEXkY5m8uF_O1cU=s4032

AVvXsEifKMjAIr-6j3xwYgEi0ELnAt1UjXhYbSQQDDEtpgm2-BdjfhKoj3DiqOqLET9-ujDLaj1oarKpCby_hVINl8RIyCYcOH6DAByYCn50x173D02cG4sLtoi5ms8tpuZ9GWlRhKn1tkFLHXAQIEiGj8PWlddZZFOplMxmp_5lEIvgS4p2DWU1mfDurIEH=s4032

AVvXsEjZwJxwTvKxYtXdv5-3gnTwNjNb2KCfWGRVAfrbRQuN4PyWxe7ifjc9oBkojtBu72XNMWkmb8HKTT7nZD0JpGWA5HXU4CDGGlzPNgb3hVLALXqVp8bj7YKv3tBqXtQK8cmheOWcREzASiIwtmKK_fhjwebR-qXA3Rz0zODai3w6r4S9QstKzI9VOeIU=s4032

WOW.

OK, I need to plug this into a Marshall-style amp to really test it out, but my initial feeling is I'm going to swap the pickups. It plays and feels like a DREAM, though! The PTC won't do gold-covered 59/09s, unfortunately, so I might actually have to go off the reservation. The switches are scratchy as expected. After a Deoxit switch bath and a run through my Mercury V, I'll start designing a new harness. Perhaps a BKP harness with a tone-tap split... The volume pot is also tilted on the pot shaft, so it wobbles when I turn it. An easy knob swap ought to fix that if I can't repair it. The cockpit feel of this guitar though is racer, man. The Santana is a champion. OMG.

Last edited:
Maybe you guys can chime in here.

Two things:

1) What's the doctrine on altering a PS from it's certificate spec? I'm fine with the idea myself, I don't think it would be necessarily sacrilegious. But once changed, it wouldn't align with the certificate.

2) This is officially designated as a PS Santana II from 2009. So if I'm after slightly higher output pickups, and gold 59/09 are not on the menu, I could go for Zebra Santanas or Zebra 59/09 and be inside the clubhouse, and perhaps closer to Santana spec? How do Santana and 59/09 differ with the BRZ neck in mind?

Maybe you guys can chime in here.

Two things:

1) What's the doctrine on altering a PS from it's certificate spec? I'm fine with the idea myself, I don't think it would be necessarily sacrilegious. But once changed, it wouldn't align with the certificate.

2) This is officially designated as a PS Santana II from 2009. So if I'm after slightly higher output pickups, and gold 59/09 are not on the menu, I could go for Zebra Santanas or Zebra 59/09 and be inside the clubhouse, and perhaps closer to Santana spec? How do Santana and 59/09 differ with the BRZ neck in mind?
As I was once this close to doing just that with a different PS model, here's my $.02 ...

It's definitely fine and will not have any negative effects on future value, if: you use PRS pickups and have the work done by the PTC, and keep the original set with the guitar.

As for the pickups themselves, as you suggested, the hotter the better, as original Santana pickups were pretty warm. I own #153 from the original Santana Brazilian Ltd. run (full Brazzy neck as well), and I believe it came with S-III pickups which are ideal for that guitar IMO, so if you could find one of those sets (hybrids with gold screws, nickel covers) I bet you'd love them.

As I was once this close to doing just that with a different PS model, here's my $.02 ...

It's definitely fine and will not have any negative effects on future value, if: you use PRS pickups and have the work done by the PTC, and keep the original set with the guitar.

As for the pickups themselves, as you suggested, the hotter the better, as original Santana pickups were pretty warm. I own #153 from the original Santana Brazilian Ltd. run (full Brazzy neck as well), and I believe it came with S-III pickups which are ideal for that guitar IMO, so if you could find one of those sets (hybrids with gold screws, nickel covers) I bet you'd love them.
Agreed, that would be ideal. I've got the football in PTC's court regarding this discussion. The Dragon II's don't really do it for me so far.

Back