594: GOTM vs. other PS

SE2Slinger

Hey guys,

Facing a bit of a dilemma, hoping for your input.

I really dig the 594 platform as a modern alternative to the venerable Les Paul and am hoping to get into one very soon. Well, I actually have kind of agreed to buy a GOTM February 594, but due to a PayPal issue have a little time to think it over...

My dilemma is:

Do I go the GOTM route, for a top I'm not really crazy about, or do I go another Private Stock route? I like the idea behind the GOTM- 20th anni of PS- and like limited edition stuff, but also am wondering if more recent PS 594's might be better as they've had more time to develop/perfect the platform. There was a REALLY nice pink quilt one I came close to buying a couple weeks back, but held off. There's another really nice one up right now as well, but I just hate the idea of paying big for a new PS when I know it'll be worth 50% of the price next week if I take it home. Aesthetically I prefer the other PS options I've looked at by quite a bit to the GOTM I'm looking at, but there's some odd lure the GOTM has that has me aiming slightly towards it right now...

What would you guys do?

P.S. Perhaps appropriate of its own thread altogether, but will post here for continuities sake: part of my contemplation to go GOTM is also ignited by the fact that it doesn't have a Brazilian board. I was a bit surprised by this as I'd expect it at that price point; it merely comes with some lowly Madagascar rosewood. The other PS 594's I've been looking at all have Braz boards + headstock overlays. I don't believe Brazilian to hold any sonic-- or really any other-- advantage over other species of rw, though it's certainly nice to have at that price point- you know, as a sort of lux status symbol. I'm kidding, but only sort of. Why would PRS omit using a 'higher end' wood on such a, imo, legacy model? Is their Madagascar equal in quality to their Braz?

A 594 as a Les Paul alternative... careful, maybe you will be dissapointed. Nothing sounds like a Les Paul better than a Les Paul. A 594 is close, but it's a PRS, has another vibe.

A 594 as a Les Paul alternative... careful, maybe you will be dissapointed. Nothing sounds like a Les Paul better than a Les Paul. A 594 is close, but it's a PRS, has another vibe.

Thanks, yes I know. It's Paul's take on an LP, of course it'll have a different sonic footprint. I am well covered with LP's, so am looking for something a little different, which the 594 is.

Hey guys,

Facing a bit of a dilemma, hoping for your input.

I really dig the 594 platform as a modern alternative to the venerable Les Paul and am hoping to get into one very soon. Well, I actually have kind of agreed to buy a GOTM February 594, but due to a PayPal issue have a little time to think it over...

My dilemma is:

Do I go the GOTM route, for a top I'm not really crazy about, or do I go another Private Stock route? I like the idea behind the GOTM- 20th anni of PS- and like limited edition stuff, but also am wondering if more recent PS 594's might be better as they've had more time to develop/perfect the platform. There was a REALLY nice pink quilt one I came close to buying a couple weeks back, but held off. There's another really nice one up right now as well, but I just hate the idea of paying big for a new PS when I know it'll be worth 50% of the price next week if I take it home. Aesthetically I prefer the other PS options I've looked at by quite a bit to the GOTM I'm looking at, but there's some odd lure the GOTM has that has me aiming slightly towards it right now...

What would you guys do?

I always feel for ps money I would rather spec out my own, just my 0.02$ and ymmv of course.

I have to agree with this...if you're gonna spend that kind of cabbage, make it exactly what you want. I wouldn't settle "for a top I'm not really crazy about":oops:

Yep - this is where I landed. If price is even somewhat close, then I'd rather have what I want from top to bottom. I don't mind the wait for it.

I don`t think that Brazzy is inherently "better" than Madasgascar , or any other country of origin when it comes to rosewood. I do think that certain logs are noticeably better than others, with a greater likelihood of better sonic results. We pimp our vanity when we look at the geography, or cosmetic status of wood. There are never any guarantees sound wise. We`re buying musical tools, hopefully not expensive wallpaper. That being said, if you don`t love the top, don`t throw the dough. Don`t settle.

P.S. Perhaps appropriate of its own thread altogether, but will post here for continuities sake: part of my contemplation to go GOTM is also ignited by the fact that it doesn't have a Brazilian board. I was a bit surprised by this as I'd expect it at that price point; it merely comes with some lowly Madagascar rosewood. The other PS 594's I've been looking at all have Braz boards + headstock overlays. I don't believe Brazilian to hold any sonic-- or really any other-- advantage over other species of rw, though it's certainly nice to have at that price point- you know, as a sort of lux status symbol. I'm kidding, but only sort of. Why would PRS omit using a 'higher end' wood on such a, imo, legacy model? Is their Madagascar equal in quality to their Braz?

You're kidding about Madagascar right? Yeah Brazilian looks beautiful and sounds great and is exclusive, but so are half a dozen other species. Madagascar Rosewood is amazing. I've had two (non PRS) fretboards with this wood and it has its own beautiful visual signature. And if you want exclusive, the stuff ONLY comes from--you guessed it--Madagascar and is in very limited supply.

But it sounds like you're not in love with the GOTM, so just wait for the right one to come along. I've seen several different PS 594s out there and more will surely come.

Why would PRS omit using a 'higher end' wood on such a, imo, legacy model? Is their Madagascar equal in quality to their Braz?

First I'll go into the limited run PS question...

I've got a couple of limited run PS models, the PS 20th Anniversary, and the CU24 30th Anniversary. I bought them from dealer stock so I could hear them before buying, an advantage you don't have with a custom order. My dealer 800 miles from me sends me clips of guitars I'm interested in.

Not that there's anything to worry about; a PS PRS is going to be a superb sounding guitar. However, there are some that go above and beyond...

As to Madagascar v BRW...

They sound different, but both sound great (I have both). It's not true that you can't hear a difference; you hear it even if you aren't aware of the reason it sounds as it does. The fretboard wood matters.

BRW has a little snap, and tends to sound bright and ringy. Madagascar is creamy and rich sounding. I love both, and find that Paul and Co. make good choices about what to put on their limited runs.

In any case, don't discount the MRW, it's good stuff.

FWIW, I would go with African Blackwood, Ebony or Brazilian before Madagascar Rosewood. I like the very dark and dense (little to no pores) fretboards for looks, feel and snappier attack.

Different strokes: I love every GOTM 594 top I've ever seen, which is why I picked up the core model you see in my avatar. That said, I'm absolutely of the opinion that, if you're going to spend what it would take to snag one of these, you should get the guitar YOU want. The great news about the PS program is that you have control over the build that one does not necessarily with other builders.

Question to the group: have there been any refinements to the 594 recipe since the GOTM models? I've not been aware of any.

If you're not in love with that GOTM, wait for something you do love, or have it made for you!

The bridge on the GOTM version is made from a different material than Core or subsequent PS versions I've seen. That's it, other than PS-only options like semi hollow or trem.
I am certain you can request the gotm bridge on a new ps build, trust me.

Can either of you comment re: what material the GOTM bridge was made from? Appears like a bronze of sorts, haven't seen it on any other guitar. Would be interested to lear about any sonic differences in introduces.

If you're not in love with that GOTM, wait for something you do love, or have it made for you!

The thing that's appealing to me personally about GOTM is the limited edition nature of it. I like that there'll only ever be 26 and that it came with those specs from the factory. I would hate to buy a used PS knowing some random guy ordered those specs. Not to mention PS guitars seem to take a monumental bath when selling down the line- I'd like to avoid that (the GOTM seems 'safe' in that regard).

On a semi-related note, I'm hoping someone can chime in on this... when authorized PRS dealers have brand new PS guitars in stock, are they ones that they spec'd/ordered or would PRS of randomly sent them in?

The thing that's appealing to me personally about GOTM is the limited edition nature of it. I like that there'll only ever be 26 and that it came with those specs from the factory. I would hate to buy a used PS knowing some random guy ordered those specs. Not to mention PS guitars seem to take a monumental bath when selling down the line- I'd like to avoid that (the GOTM seems 'safe' in that regard).

OK sure, but PRS does quite a lot of limited editions. Some of them may become insanely valuable but I figure most of them ill just be guitars that the original buyer paid a lot of money for and takes a hit on value if he decides to sell it. We don't know which way a particular LE run will swing yet in terms of resale value.

You could look at a PS as a "limited edition of one." I'd agree that they won't hold value on the second sale unless the original buyer happened to spec something that other people just have to have.

But you need to make up your mind whether you want:
1.) a guitar you'll keep and love forever
2.) a guitar you can sell and not lose a bunch of money on
3.) a guitar that is part of a collectible and valuable limited edition

I don't think you've decided, and I would say you can't know if you're buying #3 because we can't see into the future very well.

If and when my PS guitars sell, it'll be because I'm quite dead. Therefore, I don't care at all whether they'll lose money or appreciate in value. I bought a couple of the limited PS runs because they were irresistible. Future value wasn't in the equation.

An interesting thing to speculate on is whether guitars made with choice traditional tonewoods will be more highly sought after in future years simply because builders won't be able to get the dang materials any more.

On the other hand, a nice new car loses more value the day it's driven off the lot than any guitar, and I don't worry about that, either. Life goes by in the blink of an eye. Might as well enjoy it as best one can.

If and when my PS guitars sell, it'll be because I'm quite dead. Therefore, I don't care at all whether they'll lose money or appreciate in value. I bought a couple of the limited PS runs because they were irresistible. Future value wasn't in the equation.

An interesting thing to speculate on is whether guitars made with choice traditional tonewoods will be more highly sought after in future years simply because builders won't be able to get the dang materials any more.

On the other hand, a nice new car loses more value the day it's driven off the lot than any guitar, and I don't worry about that, either. Life goes by in the blink of an eye. Might as well enjoy it as best one can.

Wish I could take that approach, but guitars seldom last more than six months here. You can order a spec-made guitar, but what good are specs when you don't 'click' w/ a guitar? That's happened to me on several occasions. But that aside, the only 'lifer' guitars I've got here are two Tele's- everything else is just fluff.

Back